• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Jolly's CM-690 Case [Main Rig Revamp / Update]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Its all looking good, and I'll be interested in the Vantage cooler tests. I'm still living happily in the air cooler world for my not so "hot" needs. And happy with all, but I'm sure the ready filled radiator types are really nice and I'll be trying one out soon.

Tom

Its all looking good, and I'll be interested in the Vantage cooler tests. I'm still living happily in the air cooler world for my not so "hot" needs. And happy with all, but I'm sure the ready filled radiator types are really nice and I'll be trying one out soon.

Tom
Thanks soldierguy, Yes been Happy too with Air Cooling, but now have these so we will see soon how it shapes up!

Are you planning on modding those new coolers to match the case? And the case looks amazing man!

Thanks Dooms101, as for Modding them, well maybe not right away as they are still under warranty, so maybe in the future that my well be or I may come up with something ??

Will be uploading some more pics soon just resizing and uploading to Photobucket Pro Acc!

Update Sun 15th August 2010

Installing the CoolIT VANTAGE ALC

This is what Jolly's CM-690 Case - Acentos de Cobre with the current Modded Scythe Ninja current configuration.

GPUs-HSF-customcover.jpg

First up we remove the Scythe Ninja

As seen in the previous Update the CoolIT VANTAGE ALC comes with one 120mm x 25mm PWM Fan and on the other side of Rad is a 120mm x 20mm Shroud.

I am going to be making another Fan Shroud from and old coolermaster fan and adding second ThermalTake 120mm x 25mm Blue LED SmartFan2 to the Rad Shroud.

So the configuration will be Push Pull,,, ( <<<< Airflow) Drawing cool air from front of case
<<<< 120mm PWM Fan | Mount Plate |120mmx20mm Shroud |CoolIT RAD |120mmx 25mm Shroud | TT 120mm x 25mm Fan <<<<

This will be mounted in the 5.25 Drive bay area as see here in pic below

TT120mmandAntec140mmLEDDrivebayFans.jpg

First we take the CoolIT 120mm PWM fan and grill off the RAD

CollITVANTAGEALC-secondshroud.jpg

Then attached second 120mm x 25 Shroud I made to RAD

CollITVANTAGEALC-secondshroudinstalled.jpg

Next we attach the Intake Fan (TT Blue LED 120mm fan) to the 120mm x 25mm Shroud, then the Mounting plate and CoolIT 120mm PWM fan &Grill to the 120mm x 20mm Shroud

CollITVANTAGEALC-TTBlueSmartFan.jpg

CollITVANTAGEALC-TTBlueSmartFan-2.jpg

Unfortunately dont have a pic of all put together as dint save to Camera Compact Flash, think it was full,

Next we install the Coolit RAD into position in 5.25 Drive bay, then the CoolIT Pump block to Mobo.

Man you need to be a Octopus to do this, need more hands,lol

CoolIT VANTAGE Pump Bock Installed

CollITVANTAGEALC-InstaledGA-X48-DQ6.jpg

CooLIT VANTAGE Installed

CollITVANTAGEALC-InstaledCM-690-closeup.jpg

CollITVANTAGEALC-InstaledCM-690.jpg

Installation Completed

CollITVANTAGEALC-InstalationCM-690.jpg

Rear Case Cable Management

CM-690-CableManagementrear.jpg

Now connected everything back to PC on my desk and testing also setup the Menu for the CoolIT VANTAGE

CollITVANTAGEALC-CM-690Completed.jpg

CollITVANTAGEALC-CM-690Completed-1.jpg

MENU's

With the CoolIT VANTAGE ALC there are various Menu's for Set-up from changing the Colour output of the LCD Screen,from White, Amber, Green, Red, Blue, OFF
or have on TEMP where the colour changes according to Temperature rise and fall, also PULSE where the LCD Pulse's like a heartbeat.
Other setting are for the Fan Speeds - Quite - Performance -Extreme
Also Display orientation, so it doesnt matter which way you have the CoolIT Pump Block mounted you can rotate
the LCDscreen to suit Landscape or Portrait and change screen angle to 0, 90, 180, 270 Degrees

VANTAGE ALARMS
When Either Pump, Fan or Temperatures sensor fails or the Coolant temp goes above 99C/210F the VANTAGE will provide visual and auditory alarms

With my System currently OC'd @ 4.275 Ghz CoreTemp Reading 44C and CollIT VANTAGE ALC coolant Temp @25.6C

CPU-z Validation

1347713.png

CoreTemp

CoreTemp15-08-2010.jpg

Hardware Monitor

CPUz-HardwareMon15-08-2010.jpg

Some Unigine Heaven Benchmarks v2.1 @ 4000Mhz

Anisotropy 4x
UnigineHeavenv21-SWAGGY2010-PC1.jpg

Anisotropy 8x

UnigineHeavenv21-SWAGGY2010-PC2.jpg

Anisotropy 16x

UnigineHeavenv21-SWAGGY2010-PC3.jpg

So far I can report I,m happy with the CoolIT VANTAGE ALC cooler, :thup::thup:

Jolly Swagman Mods - CoolIT VANTAGE ALC -Install Video

That's all for now, will do some more testing and Benchmarks soon,
On the Jolly's Tech Bench too as soon as I get another HDD , as I was doing some benchmarks over the weekend
and the Dam HDD crapped out on me, :bang head

Last edited:
Update Tue 24th August

Jolly's CM-690 - Acentos de Cobre

Ran Prime95 for a few hrs as a Torture Test to see the Max Temps of the cores using the CoolIT VANTAGE ALC

Also see CoreTemp running too showing Max Temp @ 70C -71C 100% load @ 4.09Ghz

CoolIT VANTAGE coolant Temp @ 30C

Prime95 Screenshot

Prime85Swaggy2010-PC24-08-2010.jpg

Tests were conducted with an Ambient Temp @ 20C in the Office Room

Update Mon 6th September

Just Received another nice parcel from the USA, with a Lamptron FC-5 Fan Controller inside, sent to me by MattNo5ss :rock:

So this will most likely be put into this Rig, very soon!

The Parcel

LamptronFC-5Parcel.jpg

Lamptron FC-5

LamptronFC-5.jpg

Lamptron FC-5 Fan Controller with Custom Sleeved cables

LamptronFC-5withSleevedCables.jpg

Lamptron FC-5 close up

LamptronFC-5Close-Up.jpg

Will post some pics soon once it has been installed, Stay Tuned!

:clap:

Put that jumper on Red & Blue for some more purple bling :thup:

Looking forward to seeing it put to good use!

:clap:

Put that jumper on Red & Blue for some more purple bling :thup:

Looking forward to seeing it put to good use!

Thanks Matt,
Yeah had a look at the colours and the purple looks pretty cool, was going to use the Yellow on the my main Rig, but looks more lime green than yellow, and seeing the fans have at the moment are Blue LED just will stick with Blue screen for now,
Havent been all that well last few days, just Ache all over and Headaches,
I have it installed, just now just tidying up will post some pics little later,
Now will also have to mod My DVD drive to use externally so it doesnt look so Naked,,,

Update Thur 9th September

Installing Lamptron FC-5 Fan Controlle
r

So I have decided its going to be installed in my Main Rig,

Installing Lamptron FC-5 ( where DVD Drive was)

LamptronFC-5installationJollysCM-690.jpg

Lamptron FC-5 Close-up

LamptronFC-5Close-upInstalled.jpg

Lamptron FC-5 Display Panel Colour settings

FC-5Colours.jpg

Lamptron FC-5 up and running in Jolly's CM-690 - Acentos de Cobre, was running Prime95 in this next pic,

LamptronFC-5inJollysAcentosdeCobre.jpg

Also now my DVD-RW Drive is to be External, connected via the rear e-Sata / Power ports, using the e-sata/sata cable and Molex-sata power cable.

External DVD-RW Drive

DVDDrivenowexternale-Sata.jpg

Now this will be another little project, making an enclosure for the Drive so as doesn't look so Naked

Jolly Swagman Mod's - Lamptron FC-5 Fan Controller Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT96A2Drdeo

This next Fun shot was accidentally taken, of the Side Window Panel showing reflection of my lounge room

WindowShot.jpg

Stay Tuned for more soon!

Looks good! Hope you're liking the FC-5.

I'm interested in what you're planning for the DVD drive. Something kinda like what Dooms101 did?

Looks good! Hope you're liking the FC-5.

I'm interested in what you're planning for the DVD drive. Something kinda like what Dooms101 did?

Thanks Matt yes ,the FC-5 seems to do the job fine,,
I have noticed that one of the Temp probes has been acting up, one minute was reading then would give 01C - 88C , and its not the controller as checked it on the other sensor ports, will have a closer look at the Temp probe itself later tomorrow.

As for the DVD mod will be something simple,
Not like Dooms101 Drive mod, although I did like that idea when I first saw it a few years ago,
was planning to use similar in another project, that has been put on the back burner for a while, due to Finances ect

Update Fri 10th September 2010

Making *Custom DVD-RW Drive Cover

As seen previously the Naked DVD-RW Drive is now connected Externally via e-sata port

DVDDrivenowexternale-Sata.jpg

So time for some light Modding to Dress up the DVD-RW Drive, with a Custom Cover.

Making the Custom cover

MakingCustomDVD-RWDriveCover.jpg

MakingCustomDVD-RWDriveCover-1.jpg

MakingCustomDVD-RWDriveCover-2.jpg

MakingCustomDVD-RWDriveCover-3.jpg

MakingCustomDVD-RWDriveCover-4.jpg

MakingCustomDVD-RWDriveCover-5.jpg

All finished and back on the Desk connected to my Rig

MakingCustomDVD-RWDriveCover-6.jpg

Thats all for Now !

Good work on the DVD cover :thup:

I would love that on my desk instead of reaching over to my tower :)

Are you using esata for the drive? Also where does the power lead come from?

Thank You jmdixon85

The e-sata port and Molex external connectors on the PCI bracket, power cord is Molex -sata and e-sata - sata cable see pics below.

GPUsGTX-295-9800GT.jpg

PCIslotCoversPaintedCopper-Black.jpg

SATA to eSATA 2 PCI BRACKET With POWER EXTERNAL CABLE

ViewImage.aspx

ViewImage.aspx

ViewImage.aspx

I didn't use all of the temp probes, just two. So, I guess that wasn't one of the two I used...sorry about that :-/

That drive cover looks nice. What material did you use?

I love those good ol' Gigabyte e-SATA brackets :D

I didn't use all of the temp probes, just two. So, I guess that wasn't one of the two I used...sorry about that :-/

That drive cover looks nice. What material did you use?

I love those good ol' Gigabyte e-SATA brackets :D

No Problem Matt, definitely not your fault could have just been a faulty thermocouple, and is easily replaced
I,m only using three of them at the moment, (1) Case Air Temp (2) HDD Temps

As for the Drive cover, the material used is from Plastic Card Stock. from a Marbig.com.au Refillable Display Folder

prod_20070%20CE%20Range%20NEW%202%20DEI.jpg

The Chinese Emblem is made from Marbig Polypick® Wallet Shimmer

z2016199%20Shimmer%20Wallets%20DEI.jpg

Although not shown in the Pics above there is also a bottom/base on the Drive Cover with stick-on 25mm x 3mm Round Felt Feet.

Also for those that will ask, the Chinese Symbol Meaning - Wind

The water cooler and all is looking good. Never thought about doing any dress up on an external dvd drive. Cool idea. And also something new to me, I'm pretty new to computer hardware, I see those sleeves on the fan controller wires and was wondering. I have a fan controller too with a bunch of the little 3pin type wire stretching all over from my 5?different fans etc. I'm guessing the sleeves are a way to tidy up for better airflow and protection. But that stuff is new to me. I've done some truck wiring etc where i use various tubes/shrink wrap whatever. Is this custom sleeving the same idea? Is that material commonly available. I've never even seen this before. I'm sure is commonly used, i'm just new to hardware like i said.

The water cooler and all is looking good. Never thought about doing any dress up on an external dvd drive. Cool idea. And also something new to me, I'm pretty new to computer hardware, I see those sleeves on the fan controller wires and was wondering. I have a fan controller too with a bunch of the little 3pin type wire stretching all over from my 5?different fans etc. I'm guessing the sleeves are a way to tidy up for better airflow and protection. But that stuff is new to me. I've done some truck wiring etc where i use various tubes/shrink wrap whatever. Is this custom sleeving the same idea? Is that material commonly available. I've never even seen this before. I'm sure is commonly used, i'm just new to hardware like i said.

The sleeving and heatshrink is cheap and can be bought from many e-tailers. Sleeving wires is very easy as well, which you probably know already. So, for hardly any money and just a little time, you can have much better looking wires that are easier to manage.

Back