• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

7970 QuadFire under LN2.... zomg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

a c i d.f l y

For comparison, you can get around P7000 and X2500 with a good GTX 580… But HD 7970 can be pushed further thanks to LN2 cooling (Liquid Nitrogen). With LN2, this guy has overclocked four HD 7970 at 1600MHz for the GPUs and 1880MHz for the memory modules. This overclocking gives the following P and X scores: P32234 and X18386…

Current world records are around P27000 and X12000…

:shock:

Redirect: http://www.geeks3d.com/20120106/radeon-hd-7970-quad-crossfire-scores-air-and-ln2-cooling/

Results: http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showpost.php?p=19111&postcount=35

Full Thread: http://kingpincooling.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1570

The performance score was CPU limited, he will need 2 CPUs else he will be bottlenecked there. Quad 7970 at OC is just to much a single Intel CPU can handle, no matter what calibre and its clocks.

The performance score was CPU limited, he will need 2 CPUs else he will be bottlenecked there. Quad 7970 at OC is just to much a single Intel CPU can handle, no matter what calibre and its clocks.

Just to be clear, you're saying that if he ran a single AMD CPU, he wouldn't be CPU limited? Not wanting to derail the thread or start a flame war, but since you specifically outed the brand, fan boy pops into my head. ;)

Just to be clear, you're saying that if he ran a single AMD CPU, he wouldn't be CPU limited? Not wanting to derail the thread or start a flame war, but since you specifically outed the brand, fan boy pops into my head. ;)
I believe he is saying that he needs to literally have 2 cpus because 1 is causing the gpus to be bottlenecked.

Im sure that he will end up the proud owner and future destroyer of one or more SR3's.

I believe he is saying that he needs to literally have 2 cpus because 1 is causing the gpus to be bottlenecked.

Yeah, I figured that out. Still, there are so many fan boys here that pointing out a brand in this context has negative connotations. Pointing out Intel served no purpose, since he would have been CPU limited with one AMD CPU.

I was pointing out that he will need a duo CPU board, nothing else. I didnt say that he will need a AMD CPU, im not that stupid and i never will. Using AMD CPUs he will probably need 3 consumer CPUs (at 8 GHz clock) but such boards doesnt exit, nor the CPU supporting that, and he will need 3x1200W power supply, oh the joy. :D

WOW look at that 2000/2500 slider! Awesome. And the most horrible thing is, that i think that the slider isnt an overdrive, someone might be able to reach its max condition someday. If that happens i bet its the same feeling for a OCer like driving a supercar.
http://hwbot.org/forum/showpost.php?p=146605&postcount=3
4 of such a cards clocked like that got about 25 000 GFLOP in single precision. ~400 quad fittings with 7970 at such clocks would be same performance such as the current worlds most powerful supercomputer (2011) which is probably 10 000 000 GFLOP (=10 Petaflop). Just to tell its insane calculation power.
Current #1 supercomputer using close to 100 000 CPU cores is as follow: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K_computer

Hmm, anything Nvidia said so far? I guess they are shocked now and some of them might go to the church first time ever.

Last edited:

Yeah, I figured that out. Still, there are so many fan boys here that pointing out a brand in this context has negative connotations. Pointing out Intel served no purpose, since he would have been CPU limited with one AMD CPU.

Or, you know, possibly he could have just said it for no reason other than to say it. I'm quite tired of people calling each other 'fanboy' when anyone with an ounce of intelligence knows an AMD CPU couldn't keep up with these scores. Why assume the worst instead of just thinking maybe, just maybe, he meant two Intel CPUs.

He's wrong for the most part when considering existing hardware. 06 doesn't care about core count over four or six, it wants clocks. Both 3DMark 11 and Vantage do care about cores, but a 5.6GHz SNB-E beats higher-clocked CPU scores on dual Gulftown platforms - especially on 11. Only a dual SNB-E system (which hasn't seen the light of day yet) would be better than what Andre went with. But being wrong doesn't mean you're a fanboy either.

Try assuming the best instead of the worst. If it's bad and they are a fanboy they'll out themselves eventually. Don't assume from something they haven't even said yet. :rolleyes:

Try assuming the best instead of the worst. If it's bad and they are a fanboy they'll out themselves eventually. Don't assume from something they haven't even said yet. :rolleyes:

Sorry, I shouldn't have said anything, but this whole "fanboy" thing gets me rather irritated. It was easy for me to assume the worst, since this forum (AMD GPUs) is dedicated to hardware made by AMD. I've just seen too much fanboyism on this site to assume the best. I guess it would be best to just keep quiet.

Uhm, i dunno what the whole thing is about. Im just a very interested person about hardware and what else. No interest into taking a political position, im dedicated to truth. I got better stuff to do... i have to play games and what else. Sometimes when there is a new hardware its lot of fun and i comment a lot but usualy im rather passive.

Back