• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So the first 25 minutes of Skyrim got leaked - and it's looking bad guys

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sammich

*** NEW VERSION UP -- ADDITIONAL RACES SHOWN ***

This version is UP as of 8:28 AM CST 11/2/11 -
MAKE sure and turn HD ON

LOL @ 40 second load times on the 360

If this version goes down: Dailymotion is a great place to find the videos (two parts so far), I would recommend google video search as well. Search terms: "Skyrim leaked first 20 minutes" For those looking, the video starts out with you in the back of a wagon with a few other NPCS

Be warned, there is a low quality version floating around out there, but if you look hard enough you CAN find the 720p footage.

The leaked footage is from the XBOX 360 (supposedly the 3 part tech demo Todd commentated was on the 360 as well)

Quick Overview: (of a game I have been looking forward to for months)

• Terrible texture compression since the last video was given to us
  • Combat animations and hit detection are still terrible and identical to the Gamebyro engine (as if the people were made of IRON plunging swords into one another with no visual reaction except for blood shooting out)
  • The voice acting seems decent in some areas and is terrible in others (record it once and that's great right guys?)

TEXTURE COMPRESSION on a large scale, not as bad as Rage and probably subtle enough where the majority of console users won't notice either, but wow this final product looks NOTHING like the tech demos we have been hand selected and spoon fed for the last 3 months.

After finally seeing someone play the game that's not a expert I can also say that the combat is nearly identical to the Gamebryo engine. I think Bethesda may have pulled a DICE with this one in the sense that they claim "brand new engine" when it's actually just Gamebyro+1

The voice acting... the child that's supposed to be 10-15 feet behind you sounds like he is in your lap. Several people are excited when they shouldn't be or half asleep when they should be fleeing fire, typical Bethesda VA recruiting.

Last edited:
Meh... it's less than two weeks away, I'll just wait and find out how it starts when I play it myself :D

Yeah I really don't see much point in watching the first 20 minutes of a single player story of a game that is only single player.

No use in linking you to it, because Bethesda has their entire legal department issuing complains and having the videos taken down as quickly as they go up.

Dailymotion is a great place to find the videos (two parts so far), I would recommend google video search as well. Search terms: "Skyrim leaked first 20 minutes"

Be warned, there is a low quality version floating around out there, but if you look hard enough you CAN find the 720p footage.

The leaked footage is from the XBOX 360 (supposedly what the 3 part demo we got was from last month)

All I can say is TEXTURE COMPRESSION on a large scale, not as bad as Rage, probably subtle enough where the majority of console users won't notice either, but wow the PC is really throwing a hailmary with this one!

Sooooo happy to be a pc gamer! :attn:

Hellllz yea! I cant wait to see this on PC, im kinda sad that its still made for the consoles, but business is business. I am sooo looking forward to this game, im hoping I like it better than Fallout 3, which for me, was the crowned jewel of RPGs. Before that was Oblivion. Just my opinion.

I listened to a Podcast today, and the developers mentioned that they wanted to make Skyrim, less Ren Faire, and more Conan meets Motorhead! LOVE IT!

Yeah I really don't see much point in watching the first 20 minutes of a single player story of a game that is only single player.

It's basically just the tutorial, which I am hoping there will be an option to skip anyway ^__^

Hellllz yea! I cant wait to see this on PC, im kinda sad that its still made for the consoles, but business is business. I am sooo looking forward to this game, im hoping I like it better than Fallout 3, which for me, was the crowned jewel of RPGs. Before that was Oblivion. Just my opinion.

I listened to a Podcast today, and the developers mentioned that they wanted to make Skyrim, less Ren Faire, and more Conan meets Motorhead! LOVE IT!

I have a feeling we will be able to unlock true textures regardless of it being a console port! At the least we will get a silky smooth framerate (something I pray for every night but never get with Dark Souls)

man i wantz it :p

iv baught about 15 games in the last few months & bf3 for £30.... a duno how long i can keep it up :eek:

thanks for the link, I decided to go ahead and watch it in the few minutes I have before I had to leave work.

The textures look meh
Animations are meh
Combat looks terrible, you don't see any impact on your hits. You see bloodsplatter and the guy keeps the same pose and fights back. No reaction or anything. Might as well be playing from a top-down view (would notice it less compared to first person).

thanks for the link, I decided to go ahead and watch it in the few minutes I have before I had to leave work.

The textures look meh
Animations are meh
Combat looks terrible, you don't see any impact on your hits. You see bloodsplatter and the guy keeps the same pose and fights back. No reaction or anything. Might as well be playing from a top-down view (would notice it less compared to first person).

I feel the same way man, today I woke up thinking "I have 11 days to finish Dark Souls before I put it down for good" now I think i'll just take my time, the combat between the two games isn't even comparable.

Granted TES titles shouldn't be graded solely on combat, I refuse to ruin another game to rush to this one.

Dark Souls has dragons and incredible combat -

Skyrim has dragons and an incredible story... but the combat.. it honestly turned my stomach watching this video. Almost as bad as seeing BD benchmarks for the first time, like I said before it's nearly identical to Gamebryo/Oblivion combat.

Story is great, but the gameplay of getting between A and B is what generally matters to me, if not equally to why I am going from A to B.

Story is great, but the gameplay of getting between A and B is what generally matters to me, if not equally to why I am going from A to B.

Couldn't agree more, the VA also seems to be shotty in that video.

Did it get removed? or something, because that link has no video or pictures, just some talking down at the bottom an a black box at the top with nothing in it.

EDIT: Yeah i found a source but nothing streaming, ZeniMax crakin' down. Why are they so ashamed to show 25 minutes of a game that releases in a few days? because it looks that bad? "Go buy the game so you can't return it" Like Steam digital content.

Last edited:
Im really praying it shines on the PC. I watched a friend play Oblivion on PS3 and it was painful to watch him navigate the screens. Also, the graphics were not close to what i was used to watching. With the potential for mods in Skyrim (retexture's) im sure you will all be happy.

Should you buy this game, hoping for mods to correct or upgrade the quality of graphics? No, thats silly. A game should look as good as it can out of the box. Consoles have dummied down so many games (hell the PS3 is 5 years old, who still has video cards that old that game?), that i look forward to a new console, they simply drag down the quality of all games.

So until the console players get a new console (PS4 etc), you will have to see games that are dummied down for the console crowd, thats where the money is at.

as time go's on with this game im beginning to only looking at the modding side of it,,, i can see my char entering a stargate & comeing back with nano armour & p90.

take that u stupid trolls drrrrrrrr :p

For me it's not even that the game looks bad, I can get past that (sometimes anyway)

It's the fact that all the tech demos we recieved in the last 5 months look WAY better than anything in the 720p version of that leaked video did. We aren't talking about some bad video compression, we're talking texture compression from the developer. The backpack he pulled those lockpicks out of had painted on straps and the entire thing looked like a clump of mud against the wall. Several other things stood out as well, shame Bethesda... Dark Souls is winning in my book.

Graphics mean a lot to me when the game is originally going for a realistic look. They pretty much sat there and talked about how much time and effort they spent in the environment, if they spent so much time in the environment, my guess is going to be that it was to avoid copy/pasta environments, which they do well not making repeat terrains.

I think we're missing something here, the textures and stuff in the game have got to look way better on a PC, but... at this point, i'm not sure because Todd said "We are aiming for the same visual experience across all platforms" That the PC is included, if that is the case then i'm even more disappointed than when i saw that a $40 GPU can run the game.

All i ask: Don't sell me a Photo realistic game, and then toss in textures from Playstation 1.

I could care less about the movement and how they slide around when interacting with other NPC's, iv'e seen that a lot and just came to accept it, but to release a game 6 years later that looks as good, if not worse in some area's than the last... wow..

Lastly, maybe this is a publicity stunt? Get enough people talking about your game in a last ditch effort to fill pre-orders and sales when a lot of games are releasing. I strongly believe TERA did the same thing, or 'is doing' with the Elin Race, long story short, everybody is calling them "lolicon girls" and they are not, atleast not to me, caused a big hype, now they're editing them and it's made front page MMO news for a long time, good advertisement for free.

, my guess is going to be that it was to avoid copy/pasta environments

I guess we'll see, but there are only so many new textures you can have on a screen when you're limited to 512mb of ram. It's not always about graphics for me, unless you say one thing and then do another.

Look at project zomboid, http://projectzomboid.com/blog/ .. a flipping FANTASTIC game, honestly graphics are about last on my tray of necessities for a good game, but when you say B and go with D+ that's when I put my foot down.

Sad really

I feel like we went from....

This
Jkm06.jpg

To This...
sBRum.jpg

To.... This.....
a0Vps.jpg

Ok.. Maybe i'm being unfair, but it does feel like one step forward, two steps back. I was really hoping for DX11, Tessellation and possibly some PhysX, i was hoping for to much.

Back