• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cell Phone Jammers Legal in US?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sup3rcarrx8

Hi guys. I was wondering if cell phone jammers are legal in the US. My dad wants to use it in his office so his clients don't talk on the phone while in the waiting room. If they're legal, is there any reputable brands or makers or what should i look for when shopping for one? Thanks!

just have some engineers draw up plans for and get a construction crew to install a faraday cage around the room(s) he wants them to have no signal access to.

It will disrupt the wireless signals coming in/going out and make it much less likely someone could use their cellphone in there.

I know that active cell phone Jammers are illegal in the U.S. (and Canada), but passive ones like Tollhouse was talking about are legal, albeit quite expensive.

No one is going to pay tens of thousands of dollars to remodel a company for a faraday cage... Here is a Jammer for $35. The answer is YES, it is Illeagal.

3G GSM CDMA Broad Spectrum Cell Phone Jammer

In the U.S. the FCC (Federal Communications Commission) makes certain frequencies available to broadcasters for public use. When an end-user pays to use that spectrum, jamming the signal is paramount to 'property theft.' The FCC is also concerned about potential "leakage" — of jammers interfering with frequencies outside the range of cell phones, like garage door openers or medical equipment; and it's worth noting that over 100,000 emergency calls are made each day from cell phones. Anyone caught manufacturing, selling, owning, or using a jammer in the U.S. is punishable by an $11,000 fine and up to a year in prison for each offense.

But the stiff penalty hasn't stopped proliferation of the devices, perhaps because the FCC has not held anyone accountable. According to one interview with Richard Welch, associate chief of the FCC's Enforcement Bureau, no actions have been taken by the FCC because "nobody has complained." This isn't surprising considering people can't tell the difference between being jammed and simply having poor signal strength which comes and goes with the best of phones even under normal circumstances.

Edit: Thing is, people getting jammed wont know they are being jammed, it just looks like they have a weak signal. So unless someone tips off the authorities, you could easily get away with it.

Last edited:
Hospitals use the jammers but your walking a legal line.

If someone in the office dies then there family can sue your father because someone could not easily dial 911.

I think the best and cheapest way would be to put up a please no cell phone use.

In some european countries they have leagalized the use of jammers (in some areas) with a way to allow emergency calls to go through being developed.

Schools do it and its legal if you provide a phone for them to use.

Even then is someone was to have a heart attack they can still be sued even if they have a free phone in the middle of the room.

Been REALLY wanting a Cell Phone Jammer Gun! So when IDIOTS without a handsfree setup drive like morons or nearly run me off road not looking where they are going I can ZAP them and kill their call, watch them look at their phone like WTF? and LAUGH.

Only in the US...

Not sure about that... The sons school put in this cheap phone blockers with a public access phone and there has been no issues even after a student passed out and broke his skull :)

I think if you have a sign and or warning then its *legal* But you can be sued for anything I could sue the forum for some random reason doesnt mean I would win at all.

My third edit lol : I looked it up and according to a few sites it is legal for military, education and other things and without a proper permit etc its a 11 thousand dollar fine. According to the fcc they have not done anything about it because no one notices the difference and just think it is a bad signal.

Not sure about that... The sons school put in this cheap phone blockers with a public access phone and there has been no issues even after a student passed out and broke his skull :)

I think if you have a sign and or warning then its *legal* But you can be sued for anything I could sue the forum for some random reason doesnt mean I would win at all.
But it's the fact that people DO sue for about anything over there, the one who loses the lawsuit has to be pay all the legal fees except for maybe the lawyer of the other party, right?

But it's the fact that people DO sue for about anything over there, the one who loses the lawsuit has to be pay all the legal fees except for maybe the lawyer of the other party, right?

True lol..... I moved around alot and have noticed a increase in the amount of people getting sued here... A place *near* england there was lawsuits about every other day so i left.

Just use this and its all good....
nocell.jpg

people don't seem to get the signs already put up in his office. So it's probably best to just get a jammer especially since it's a small office. The waiting room is quite small and everyone sits pretty close to each other.

No one is going to pay tens of thousands of dollars to remodel a company for a faraday cage... Here is a Jammer for $35. The answer is YES, it is Illeagal.

3G GSM CDMA Broad Spectrum Cell Phone Jammer

Edit: Thing is, people getting jammed wont know they are being jammed, it just looks like they have a weak signal. So unless someone tips off the authorities, you could easily get away with it.

Oh yeah. Does anyone have any experience buying from this site? There's no reviews of it on resellerratings so.... yeah.

I just posted the first one I found, search around but remember this is illegal and probably not worth the risk. It’s all too easy for authorities to keep tabs on illegal items purchased from foreign based internet companies and track it right back to you through your ISP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back