• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Chaintech VNF3-250 impressions and questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What do you mean get into windows without is stoping because of temp? My oc settings right now are all on my sig except I am running at 2.5 right now with 3x htt with 1.55vcore in bios.

I am having 49 idle and 65ish load right now, and I am pretty sure this temp is wrong because heatsink does not even heat up..

DamienKC said:
Is there any way to get into windows without it stopping because of temps? Cordial your load hits higher than mine, yet you're running 2.55ghz. Since our temps are almost the same, what exactly have you done? And what are your overclocking settings in bios?

thx

Does the CPU overheat protection turns off your pc ? In that case you could raise it to 70C or more.

I can't even go into windows @ 2.4ghz when my bios temp says 49c as i boot up. Cordial gets the exact same temps as me, but he has a 200mhz higher o/c. It can't be the chip because when I ran the A/C with duct i could do 2.43ghz because it was at 41c booting up. I don't get it :(

Can you please tell me what you have in bios? (overclocking)

Ok i just reseated it, and put on AS3 this time. I put about a BB size on my cpu and smoothed it out with a plastic baggie to make it all pretty thin but even, then put a tiny bit on the heatsink. My bootup was 2c cooler, lets see how it goes after burn-in =)

edit : my idle is 42c, my load is 57c, but yet I can't get into windows when at 2.4ghz, but I could when i had the a/c duct, so it's definetly not my chip, it's somehow stopping it because of temps, but if cordial can do it, why can't i? that's why I need a full tutorial of what to set to what.

Last edited:
Sorry for so many posts, but i RE-applied with AS5 and using a little less than a BB and just sticking it in the middle as a dot, then rotated the heatsink around a little like the directions say. My boot is 47c like before, but EVEN WITHOUT burn-in prime is running 52-54c. I have yet to see it hit 56c (it hit 55c like 5 times in the last 5 mins). I'm seeing some promise after burn-in! (hoping for 50c load after complete burn-in)

This is 2.3ghz @ 1.55v btw (actual being 1.58-1.6v...overvolt much? :p)

EDIT : Now priming @ 2.4ghz, 1.65v in bios (so actual is 1.7v). Idle is 45c, load is so far hitting 57-61c. Kind of high, but it was doing 65c @ 2.3ghz before the XP-90, so it's ok. Actual is around 50c, so i'm not worried. If it passes prime i'll be satisfied with 2.4ghz =)

Last edited:
I suppose its possible. It idles at 39-43c now, load hitting just 59c. 2.4ghz is pretty much official now =D

Nice glad you made 2.4ghz without a problem I assume. I've used 7/29 bios and from 7/29 -> 10/19 and from 10/19 -> 9/21, I see no point of using 10/19 and it seems like the 10/19 bios gives me lower overclock, I could prime 2.45ghz over 24 hrs with 7/29 bios but NOT with 10/19 or 9/21 bios, could prime with those for like 4 hrs. Right now I'm sticking the 9/21 just to test see if this one works out better than 7/29.

I say you have a very good temperature at 1.65 vCore in bios I say, I get about 62-64 load at this low voltage (1.55 bios 1.6 real volt) and 49-50 idle.

I might want to flash back to the 7/29 bios and see if that one works better..which bios are you using?

I'm using 7/29 bios, the ones that came on the motherboard. I'm not even sure how to flash motherboards, just my video card. I really want them to make a new bios with fixed temperatures, it's up to 13c too high reading. I would LOVE to see it say 27c idle and 45c load personally.

EDIT : i find it funny you can do 2.5ghz on 1.6v (real voltage, 1.55v in bios). I couldn't even do 2.4ghz on 1.6v IN BIOS. I couldn't hit 2.5ghz on any voltage. Maybe i just got a chip that doesn't o/c as well. It still feels very fast though

EDIT#2: what is hammer FID control? I leave it at default because I don't know what it does.

Last edited:
i recently built a system using this mother board

is this a problem?

conflict.JPG

click on it and max ie out to see it better

Hey guys how is the BIOS for this board going ???
I'm using one right now, it is with the bios that come with board, and I bought this board right after it came out, so wich bios I'm using ???
Should I upgrade my bios for a new one ?? witch one ??

Now another question
Can I use a plug in or something for the Motherboard Monitor read the temp of this board ???

thanks a lot

I don't think MMR supports this board, I've tried it before and it doesn't work. Btw to check your bios just open up CPU-z and look in the motherboard tab and it'll tell you your bios date. You might want to upgrade for fixes from the stock bios.

Demon_Hunter said:
Hey guys how is the BIOS for this board going ???
I'm using one right now, it is with the bios that come with board, and I bought this board right after it came out, so wich bios I'm using ???
Should I upgrade my bios for a new one ?? witch one ??
thanks a lot

The BIOS that comes with the board is probably the 03/08/2004 BIOS. That's the one I'm using. I've tried every new version that came out, and that original one works the best for me. I use the RAID feature, and for some reason I can never get Windows to boot off of my RAID with any other verions of the BIOS besides the original one. It has the feature to boot off of SCSI, which really is my RAID stuff. I might be missing something, but I haven't troubleshoot it much.

Some one knows if some kind of really good bug fix or new things came in some of the bios ??
Otherwise I will stay with the stock bios, because I'm using a Radeon 9800 PRO and I saw that some people were having problems with this board and this GPU, but here It is just fine.
If nothing that really mathers came with some of the bios I wont change it yet.

thanks

My vnf3-250 isn't booting. I removed the battery to reset it after I had forgotten to hook up my xfx6600gt agp power cord and the machine wouldn't boot.

Anyways, I read earlier on this thread that after a reset the mobo only looks to pci for a vidcard. Neither of my roomates have pci cards. Is there a way that I can flash my bios or make it recognize my agp card considering my machine's current state?

Thanks,
Mike

Has anyone actually fixed the wacked out temp readings with a bios change?

Has anyone had success with using a newer bios and having the cpu temp report somewhere in the ballpark of reality? Overall I am very disatisfied with this board due to this problem. If I want to overclock, I need accurate temp readings to know when I am pushing things too far. Reading 63 C after being turned off all night and going straight to bios on first boot to read temp. I will steer clear of this manufacturer in the future for sure. I have reseated heatsink and checked that the thermal compound was completely covering the cpu in a thin layer. It seems as though the temperature reporting is just broken. (as in too inaccurate to even use as a relative measurement) I can get it to move up a couple of degrees with an overclock of 10% on the FSB and running 3dmark2003 for a couple of repetitions. So if you have had any luck with the temp problem, please let me know what bios fixed it for you and which bios you changed from. I seem to have the September version of the bios on this board.

TIA

Kid

zjmike said:
My vnf3-250 isn't booting. I removed the battery to reset it after I had forgotten to hook up my xfx6600gt agp power cord and the machine wouldn't boot.

Anyways, I read earlier on this thread that after a reset the mobo only looks to pci for a vidcard. Neither of my roomates have pci cards. Is there a way that I can flash my bios or make it recognize my agp card considering my machine's current state?

Thanks,
Mike

zjmike,
I posted a message about running into this problem. If I reset the CMOS on my mobo, I will not be able to boot from AGP. I have to put a PCI vid card in. I am at work right now, if you'd like I can play around with resetting the CMOS without having to use a PCI card and see if I could figure how to make it work. But I remember having tried a lot of stuff and almost gave up, before I tried the PCI vid card solution. I have not tried a newer BIOS, maybe that's been addressed with the latest BIOS, but if you are using the latest BIOS and still have this problem, I'm not sure what else to tried. I'll let you know what I find.

I'm having the same problem as
spazzmattah and zjmike. I thought it was a PSU problem, and i posted as much info as i could on the case/psu part of these forums and they confirmed it was a dead PSU. But after reading through this thread, i could have the same problem as spazzmattah. I also don't have an extra PCI video card, so does anyone know how to fix the popular no post problem with this mobo? Should i try "discharging it" like someone mentioned? either pulling out the power cord for an extended amount of time or holding the power button in for 10 seconds (should the psu be plugged in or not during this)?

just a note on this board- i did the voltmod described in this guide-
vcorebig.jpg

and it worked perfectly. im cruising at 1.98 volts.
and the temp readings are pretty much useless, ive noticed.

Back