• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum (MS-7025) Guide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hi, I sthis thread still active. I recently instaled this mobo with X2 4200+ cpu using ebuyer extra value ram 4 x single sided 512 MB or 2 x 1GB high density double sided RAM with the lastest bios 10C downloaded from msi. Does anyone know of any issues surrounding this bios? some very strange things happen. there is no overclock at this stage, just standard settings except for coolNQuiet set to auto. Whenever there is any kind of CPU demand like running BIONC for climate change program which is using one of the cpu all the time. Various problems exist like the lock ups upon cpu demand, occasionally the system just locks up and restarts and the boot priority changes the hard drive boot order.

In my opionion I think the bios may well be flawed.

Any kind of informaion would be helpful.

DOLPHIN_IT said:
hi, I sthis thread still active. I recently instaled this mobo with X2 4200+ cpu using ebuyer extra value ram 4 x single sided 512 MB or 2 x 1GB high density double sided RAM with the lastest bios 10C downloaded from msi. Does anyone know of any issues surrounding this bios? some very strange things happen. there is no overclock at this stage, just standard settings except for coolNQuiet set to auto. Whenever there is any kind of CPU demand like running BIONC for climate change program which is using one of the cpu all the time. Various problems exist like the lock ups upon cpu demand, occasionally the system just locks up and restarts and the boot priority changes the hard drive boot order.

In my opionion I think the bios may well be flawed.

Any kind of informaion would be helpful.

Hopefully rseven, the king of neo2, will arrive to the rescue!! :)

Rseven, the skeleton came out of the graveyard and is not resting in peace!!

I had this mb and loved it . I used the 1c sideeffect moded bios for tccd .

what psu do you have in the system and what are your load temps .

with 4 sticks you will prob need to run 2t .

OK, g0dM@n, Lazarus has returned from the dead. Yes, ||Console|| has it right, you will definitely need to run at a 2T command rate and that may be causing all the problems. I still use my Neo2 with TCCD ram, and I use the Siedeeffects 1C modded bios, but not the one specifically for TCCD. The modded bios is superior without a doubt. You can find them here:
http://www.lejabeach.com/MSIK8N/k8nneo2.html
Give a yell if you are still having problems. Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

rseven said:
OK, g0dM@n, Lazarus has returned from the dead. Yes, ||Console|| has it right, you will definitely need to run at a 2T command rate and that may be causing all the problems. I still use my Neo2 with TCCD ram, and I use the Siedeeffects 1C modded bios, but not the one specifically for TCCD. The modded bios is superior without a doubt. You can find them here:
Give a yell if you are still having problems. Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated.
^This guy is the best, DOLPHIN_IT... nothing be expertise with a side of humor.

No thread ever dies here at OCF. Hell, if you know of the Abit NF7-S, people still talk about that, and that's old news by about 5 generations.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=228240

CPU-Z Database (ID : 228240)
Submitted by tRens
Submitted on Sun, 12 Aug 2007 10:29:01 +0200 with CPU-Z 1.40

CPU : AMD Athlon 64 3700+ (*1)
CPU Arch : 1 Cores - 1 Threads
CPU PSN : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+
CPU EXT : MMX (+) 3DNow! (+) SSE SSE2 SSE3 x86-64
CPU Cache : L1 : 64/64 KB - L2 : 1024 KB
Core : San Diego (90 nm) / Revision : SH-E4
CPUID : F.7.1 / Extended : F.27
Freq : 2706.16 MHz (246.01 * 11)
----------------------------------
MB Brand : MSI
MB Model : MS-7025
NB : NVIDIA nForce3 250 rev A1
SB : NVIDIA nForce3 MCP rev A2

BIOS : 1.B Rev2 TCCD Edition by Sideeffect

RAM Size : 2048 MB
RAM Freq : 246 MHz
RAM Type : DDR-SDRAM Dual Channel
RAM Ratio : CPU/11
RAM Timings : 3-3-3-7 1T
Slot 1 : 1024MB (PC3200)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : OCZ Model : OCZ4002048ELDCPE-L
Slot 2 : 1024MB (PC3200)
Slot 2 Manufacturer : OCZ Model : OCZ4002048ELDCPE-L

That is currently solid and the temps only read 49-50c ever on the CPU! Thank the lord I came here I was stuck at 239, uhmm, ya forever. Read about the 1/2 3/4 SATA unlocked/locked. That and the new tweaked bios I was sure to go passed 239. I'm happy with the small improvement. Wonder if I can push it further? I have had it to 260fsb with the memory at 183/200, but prime95 was throwing errors left and right. I had the voltage on the CPU up as high as this mobo would let me. 1.550 +10%... memory is at 2.75v wonder if I could push the memory up and then the FSB to 260.

http://valid.x86-secret.com/show_oc.php?id=228247 <-- this is where Prime95 went nutty but winxp64 will boot and let me post this.

BTW what is the best way to test to see if the CPU is causing the problem and or the Memory?

tRens

Last edited:
I'm trying to get Siedeeffects 1C modded bios but no link is working :bang head

I would really appreciate it someone could post a working link :)

X2 4200+ Stability Issues

Greetings, all!

In an attempt to resurrect this thread yet again, I have a question. As you can see in my sig, I'm running an Athlon 64 3000+ and have been for years. This system has been rock-solid stable this whole time. Recently, I decided to spend a little money and purchase an Athlon X2 4200+ (ada4200daa5bv) from Newegg. It was an OEM processor, so I also purchased a Scythe Samurai cooler to go with it.

I updated the BIOS to 1.0D (latest on MSI's site) with no problems except the MAC address on my nVidia PHY getting set to all FF's. Fixed that. Then installed the new CPU and HSF. No problem. BIOS recognizes the CPU, machine boots. Then I install AMD's driver for the X2 processor, as well as AMD's Dual-Core Optimizer software and the AMD Power Monitor program. Everything looks good. I left everything at stock voltage and clock speed.

Then... I fire up World of Warcraft (which is what my machine spends most of its on-time running ;)). Everything is great... better performance, smoother operation, everything I had hoped EXCEPT: I get random lockups which require pressing the RESET switch to get out of. The lockups seem to happen at any time. I can play for minutes or I can play for hours. Sometimes they happen in quick succession, sometimes it only happens once per night. The lockups are also typically accompanied by the sound screeching and looping (which I figure is just a symptom of total system lockup).

Anyway, I've tried everything I can think of: disabling CnQ, using a multimeter to check all the power rails, adding the MS dual-core hotfix, upping the voltage on the RAM, on the CPU, going to a 2T command rate, etc.

I'm not getting any Memtest86+ errors, and it seems to be stable when I run ORTHOS, although I haven't run ORTHOS for any very long stretches (30 mins or so at most) due to personal time constraints (WoW or taking care of toddler ;)).

Core temperatures hover in the mid 50's while gaming. (per CoreTemp and SpeedFan) Temps drop to 31-32 while idle. ORTHOS gets the temperatures up close to 60.

Anyways, I was hoping some of you folks might be able to give me some suggestions as to what to do next. I've put my old CPU back in the system for now (I overclocked it mildly) and have returned to rock-solid stability.

Thanks!

~ Terrin

Terrin,:welcome: to the Forum!
Well you have resurrected and old thread and now you have resurrected an old OCF member. I am still running this board too, but with an older single core processor. I did have a dual core on it for a while when it was installed on my other system and that was about 2 years ago. At the time the standard wisdom was to reformat and reinstall windows when going from single to dual core, particularly on these older boards that were designed before the dual cores existed. However, before you go to that extreme I would try some easier fixes. For starters the MSI stock 1D bios was always buggy. You might want to check out here for a modded version.
I use the 1C Final standard edition mod and haven't touched it in a very long time. AMD also makes a a dual core optimizer, which you can download here.
http://www.amd.com/us-en/Processors/TechnicalResources/0,,30_182_871_13118,00.html
Just one word of warning. Jumping between a dual core and a single core may at some point raise hell with your operating system.
Good luck with it!

Thanks for the info! I'll try the 1C modded bios, swap the processors again and report the results here.

~ Terrin

um to resurect this again.

i have a msi k8n neo2 plat.

i recently reformatted this computer and seem to have problems with the latest Ethernet driver that MSI provides for this board.

my problems are.
-it only detects one ethernet controller, which is called *Nvidia Nforce Networking Controller*(when i think there is suppose to be a realtek and a marvell ethernet controller)
-and when i log into world of warcraft it loads everything and crashes within seconds disconnecting me from the server.

my thoughts- i have multiple computers running through the same router and it works fine (i can connect to the internet with the current drivers)

blizzard suggested it was a driver issue, and i come to think it is because there isnt 2 network devices found, when physically there are 2 network devices on this mobo

oh and another note. this computer ran World of warcraft before and had 2 ethernet adapters on the old drivers.

thanks chris

Hey Chris,
I don't use the nvidia ethernet connection. I use the Realtek gigabit ethernet connection. Yours must be disabled in the bios. You might try enabling it and installing the drivers that came with your board as it may solve the problem. I'm honestly uncertain what's causing it, but your first approach might as well be a simple work around. Good luck with it.
Rich

Hey Chris,
I don't use the nvidia ethernet connection. I use the Realtek gigabit ethernet connection. Yours must be disabled in the bios. You might try enabling it and installing the drivers that came with your board as it may solve the problem. I'm honestly uncertain what's causing it, but your first approach might as well be a simple work around. Good luck with it.
Rich

i dont have the drivers that came with the mobo, i lost the cd :(

Back