• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Norton Ghost?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonniefive79

I'm not sure if Norton/symantic Ghost will do what I need or if any software really will.

I need to image the OS (Windows XP pro, I think) and all the software, MS Office, Photoshop and AutoCAD etc... and the drivers for hardware (if possible, not a huge deal) BUT I need it to copy only the OS/SW/Drivers and NOT ANY DATA.

I have 12 or so computers in an office that is closing. In order to sell the workstations I would like to create and image so after I wipe the HDDs I don't have to install everything one piece at a time on 12 different machines.

Any thoughts? :confused:

The version of ghost that I use (2003) doesn't include any features of what it can copy and what it leaves out.

You could format and put a fresh install on one unit you plan to sell, then get it the way you like it with drivers and such. After you have everything the way you want it, you can create an image of that machine and then proceed to re-image the rest of the units.

You could use nLite and just slipstream all updates, drivers, and I think applications as well. Then it would leave you with one universal CD.

By the way, how do you plan to use the same Windows key on 12 different machines?

IIRC imaging with ghost on XP machines is hardware dependent, for starters. Not sure if thats the case with 2003 or later, as i used a previous version.

Ghost also keeps all the drivers, its basically going to get you ready to go.. its a great idea to sysprep the machine before you roll it out, so you clean up licensing keys and such.

The windows keys can be changed during the image process if need be as well during minisetup.

so yea, ghost is probably your best bet.

I was curious about imaging software too. We have Ghost 2003, but I haven't used it in a long time and back then it was through a DOS floppy that I did.

I have 6 new machines here to roll out and after I get those users setup and ready to go I would like to be able to make/store images of those onto our server maybe?

Or even better, make an image on the server and anytime I have to do a re-format or build...plug the computer into the network and have the server push it out to the desktop. Is this the same as deploying?

Kinda new at this. So thanks for any help.

Back