• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WinXP - 2GB vs 4GB of RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MisterMark

Registered
I currently have 2GB of RAM and I'm running XP. As I understand it, there are limitations on how much RAM XP will allow to be used. Would I benefit any to upgrade to 4GB?

I have an e8600 3.33ghz overclocked to 3.75 and I have two Nvidia 9800GTX+ cards (SLI) with 1GB of memory on each card.

Thanks,

Mark

Since you most likely are using 32 bit XP, you would only be able to use around 3.25GB, and maybe less with that video card configuration. I would either stay with 2GB, unless you are planning on upgrading your OS soon to a 64bit platform.

If you are running out of memory (IE paging to disk alot) adding more ram will help, and you will have it when you go 64 bit in the future (and you will :) )

You really should consider upgrading to a 64 bit operating system...

It is possible that you are not even getting the 2GB you have now because you have 2 GB of graphics cards.

XP 32bit generally is only able to accomodate 4gb total memory (RAM + GPU)

A 64-bit OS such as Vista or WIndows 7 would allow you upgrade to 4gb of RAM and still have 2GB of GPU memory.

XP has 64bit as well, but I have heard its not the best 64bit out there.

Get the 4GB and enjoy the extra net 1GB.

Its fine for a lot of people, but Im sure if some listed W764, Vista64 or XP64.....XP64 would be the last choice for most.

In my opinion the time is not yet right to upgrade to a 64 bit operating system unless there is a specific need to do so. This opinion is probably contray to what most others in this forum think but is based on a recent attempt (last week) to install and use 64 bit W7.

Last week, when I upgraded XP Pro to W7 Professional, I decided to use the 64 bit version, thinking eventually I would have to go this way anyhow. For the most part, all my applications worked with one notable exception, an essential HP scanning application called ProcisionScan Pro. My wife and I frequently use this app to scan documents in conjunction with an application called Paperport.

PrecisionScan ran fine but it refused to recognize the USB HP scanner which was properly installed (per the Device Manager) and usable by other scanning apps including VueScan and the Paperport native scanning function. I tried running it under a virtual XP window but the problem remained. I tried to install a pre USB 2.0 Adaptec SCSI card but it to is not supported for 64 bit operating systems.

By the way, prior to upgrading to W7, the W7 upgrade advisor indicated the the HP scanner was not going to be an issue. In fact it was not an issue. It was the associated HP software that was not willing to play nice. This was missed, understandably, by the upgrade advisor.

A second problem reared its ugly head. For years I regulary use Ghost (DOS based) to make true clones of my main hard drive. I always have a simple plug and play recent backup available in case of a hard drive failure. Ghost still works from DOS but it no longer will produce a bootable cloned drive from a 64 bit system.

The Ghost issue was the final straw as my wife and I use this machine for our real estate business and cannot tolerate anything less than 100% reliability and availability. I bit the bullet last night, backed up everything again for the second time in a week, and clean installed the 32 bit version of W7. ProcisionScan Pro will still not see the scanner when run directly under W7 but it now works flawlessly under a virtual XP Window; not ideal but certainly an easy and acceptable work around. I am going to make a clone using Ghost this evening but I bet it will also produce a bootable drive.

In summary, except for two applications, everything else worked without issue under the 64 bit OS. This experience indicated to me that 64 bit operating systems, for general use, are not quite ready for prime time.

That sounds like the software manufacture never intended the software to run on a 64bit OS, IE HP's mistake.

Have you thought it's possibly a problem with the program not necessarily the OS ? sounds like a compatibility issue ;) but yes 64bit is not for everyone yet...

That sounds like the software manufacture never intended the software to run on a 64bit OS, IE HP's mistake.

Yeah those are the only issues i've ever had, and most of them were just that the software didn't recognise the OS so it wouldn't even install even though it would probably run just fine (as do 99% of the 32 bit apps i've run in Vista64)

Have you thought it's possibly a problem with the program not necessarily the OS ? sounds like a compatibility issue ;) but yes 64bit is not for everyone yet...

That is exactly my point. W7 64 bit is certainly not the problem, the problem is that some software will not work well under a 64 bit system. Until 64 bit software becomes much more common, and some older apps have finally been replaced, a 64 bit OS has the potential of being problematic. Ergo my comment that it is not quite ready for prime time.

That is exactly my point. W7 64 bit is certainly not the problem, the problem is that some software will not work well under a 64 bit system. Until 64 bit software becomes much more common, and some older apps have finally been replaced, a 64 bit OS has the potential of being problematic. Ergo my comment that it is not quite ready for prime time.

Or maybe your aging hardware/software is past it's prime. Life is all about perspective:) If that's yours then I guess you will never upgrade from XP as it seem your apps/scanner won't run on anything else.

I bought xp 64 bit because there were not many programs/drivers that supported vista 64 bit when it was first released, suppose its the same now windows 7 has been released?

i will be upgrading to vista 64bit soon.

In summary, except for two applications, everything else worked without issue under the 64 bit OS. This experience indicated to me that 64 bit operating systems, for general use, are not quite ready for prime time.

You have two errors in your assumption

A) You are using Windows 7 which some people are reporting having major problems with. And which uses a special partition on your HDD that Ghost might not be paying attention to.

B) Old software. That is the Programmers fault not the Operating system. 64bit has been in production for what 5 years now? If a company is not supporting 64 bit the correct response is not to support that company anymore.

Back