• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS A8N-SLI :: Work Arounds:Expensive Bugs:Tweaking:Info

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Barshow said:
Does any know what is going here , ClockGen says I have a CPU of 2009.96, A HTT 200.93, MEM 200.93, PCI-E 100.00, PCI 33.49. Bios says its HTT is 200.00, I updated Bios with Asus update V6.03.01. to ver 104 Final with clear cmos checksum to load default Bios setting CHECKED. I thought that flashing the Bios would clear everything back to default with no over clocking thats if you can call .93 on the HTT overclocking But no I still show unchanged figures.

what exactly is your question? Its completly normal to be +/- 1 or 2 MHz on the HTT. Those readings there are stock, so if you flashed the BIOS, those are the ##s you should get.

I highly reccomend to everyone to run 1004. I was stuck at 226x11 with 1003, but I'm at 241x11 now with no problems (so far).

To the people having problems with the PCI bus lock or the HT multi: open CPU-Z and go to the mainboard tab. what does it say under "Rev."? A3 or A2? I assume this means Silicon Revision A03 and A02, and I heard people with the A02s were having some major OCing problems that were resolved in the A03 silicon revision. The only way to know for sure is to look under the nf4 HSF. It should have A02 or A03 printed right on the nf4 chip. FYI, the problems with A02 are presumed to be hardware and not software, so its not something you can fix with a simple BIOS update. Sorry.

Sniper.nkc said:
Where are the benchmarks? Pics? DFI is full of benchies, but where is Assus?

*Points to sig* Benches are there. Pics of what, though?

Asus only has one "s", unless you meant to say "Assus", in which case I say: Go back to your DFI thread!!!

Well with Cas 34410 2T settings and HT at auto I'm running 250fsb so far now :)
Starting Prime95 now

Rev A3 board for me also.

Last edited:
I'm now in the process of testing the 1005.003 Beta bios which as of today is now available from the ASUS website for download.

> So far, I've noticed that I can no longer run CL2.5-4-4-8-2T 566MHz and now I have to back down to CL3.0-4-4-8-2T. Funny thing is, in CL2.5, my single stick of OCZ4400 scores exactly 3820MB/s after 10 Sandra tests. After this new bios and using CL3, I'm now scoring 3828MB/s, which is better than in CL2.5 lol. BTW, in CL2.5 I can bearly boot into the bios now to change my CAS back to 3.0.

> I'm taking it that they are tweaking the memory portion of the bios this time around. Hopefully they will correct the HTT bug eventually and give us back our 1.65v CPU voltage choice :bang head

OC-Master

Hi Oc Master.

Thanks for all of the help in this thread!!!!!

My goal is to have a stable stock pc.

But would like your info on what to change as for the basics of being stable
Im stable so far. OR just your Imput in general If you dont mind as to what not to do and to do for some basic help or info.

I was having all kinds of problems but since my power supply purchase of the Pc power and cooling sli IM good where i use to be or have many problems.

My cpuz says im A3

MY Proc is a FX 55

MY Memory is corsair xms 2225 I have 2 gigs of this. What its at now acording to cpuz is 2.0 3 3 5 11 16 I did not set the memory to that its just at that by its self .I am sort of new to pc building as this is only my 2 build and first with amd.

I have 2 raptors set up as stripped and optimal which is 64 k I think ? but they are striped for sure.

I have Bios 104 not beta but the final one.

My heat sink is a gigabyte rocked cooler pro

My video card is a Evga 6800 ultra.
The drivers are the ones that came with it. I have tried the 67 ones
but once in a while my pc would freeze in game. Have not had it happen as of yet with these.

I do have the 693 platform kit drivers

Am i for getting any other drivers that i need

Sorry for the dumb questions bro but i dont have anyone in my area to help me
and Im not sure of all of the drivers that i need to update.

The bios and the the platform drivers are the only ones that i no I need to update. But a list of what drivers there are and the ones to update would help me out a lot.

Again sorry to ask these dumb questions but Im just not sure if i have all of the stuff i need to update updated yet.

My 3dMark 05 score is not good but im stock and happy here is a link if this helps

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=618381 ] http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=618381 [/URL]

Thanks so much for your time MethanolMan

Last edited:
GraveLayer said:
I have not been able to get higher than 230fsb stable at 3338 1T Cas settings (DDR400).
I noticed we have the same RAM. Have you noticed the Ballistix doesn't seem nearly as overclockable as the article Anandtech did on it? Or at least not at anywhere close to the tight timings they were using?

MethanolMan said:
Hi Oc Master.

Thanks for all of the help in this thread!!!!!

My goal is to have a stable stock pc.

But would like your info on what to change as for the basics of being stable
Im stable so far. OR just your Imput in general If you dont mind as to what not to do and to do for some basic help or info.

I was having all kinds of problems but since my power supply purchase of the Pc power and cooling sli IM good where i use to be or have many problems.

My cpuz says im A3

MY Proc is a FX 55

MY Memory is corsair xms 2225 I have 2 gigs of this. What its at now acording to cpuz is 2.0 3 3 5 11 16 I did not set the memory to that its just at that by its self .I am sort of new to pc building as this is only my 2 build and first with amd.

I have 2 raptors set up as stripped and optimal which is 64 k I think ? but they are striped for sure.

I have Bios 104 not beta but the final one.

My heat sink is a gigabyte rocked cooler pro

My video card is a Evga 6800 ultra.
The drivers are the ones that came with it. I have tried the 67 ones
but once in a while my pc would freeze in game. Have not had it happen as of yet with these.

I do have the 693 platform kit drivers

Am i for getting any other drivers that i need

Sorry for the dumb questions bro but i dont have anyone in my area to help me
and Im not sure of all of the drivers that i need to update.

The bios and the the platform drivers are the only ones that i no I need to update. But a list of what drivers there are and the ones to update would help me out a lot.

Again sorry to ask these dumb questions but Im just not sure if i have all of the stuff i need to update updated yet.

My 3dMark 05 score is not good but im stock and happy here is a link if this helps

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=618381 ] http://service.futuremark.com/compare?3dm05=618381 [/URL]

Thanks so much for your time MethanolMan

MethanolMan,

Go with the 128K strips since most files the average person accesses is more than exceptable of using 128K strips.

So far, the only drivers I can recommend to you is the ASUS ones found onboard on your ASUS Motherboard installation CD. For graphics, I personally use the latest 75.90 drivers which you can find from Guru3D.com .

I'm currently beta testing the 1005.003 and 004 bios to check for stability issues and so fourth. The memory sub-system has been tweaked a bit in the 1005 series which should help improve memory bandwidth on memory running 1T timings or CL3.

OC-Master

Thanks oc master for all of your help !!!!! ***EDIT*** The guru3d drivers are better then the other ones that I useing thanks bro.

I need to redo the raid and then reformat ? for the 128k strips ?
Thanks for the info on the video dirvers bro I will go and check them out now

If you ever want to play call of dudy U O check our my clans servers

We would love to have you stop by make yourself at home

All the best my Friend Peace MethanolMan

Last edited:
Aurora40 said:
I noticed we have the same RAM. Have you noticed the Ballistix doesn't seem nearly as overclockable as the article Anandtech did on it? Or at least not at anywhere close to the tight timings they were using?
I'm stable at 250fsb with 34410 timings. 2.85v (ram) 1.5125v (CPU)
Still not above 6K on Sandra Memory :(

At 250 MHz you'll need tighter timings than that to get decent memory bandwidth scores. Can't you run at 2.5-3-3-7 and 1T at 245 MHz with your Ballistics TCCD? I don't think you can run at 1T much over 245 MHz or so.

Viking Dont work for me.

After I changed the ram from Viking DDR400 to
Corsair CMX512-3200C2, A week ago my system has not crashed.
I used Clock Gen to Tweak. Because it seems to do what it says.
Ntune NvMonitor Gui got corrupted prior to the new ram it would be nice to have working.
I have tried re-installing Ntune Plus I used a reg cleaner but I still get back the same corrupted Gui I think it could be I corrupted some kind of help program in windows but which one I think Ntune is Written in XML.

I think I could get more out of this Box but I am taking things slow.

Model : AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3200+.
AT 2.489.99 GHz.

Mainboard ASUS A8N-SLI DELUXE.
System BIOS : Revision 1004 Final System.

Total Memory : 2x512 Corsair C2 DDR-SDRAM 3.3.3.8 .
HTT 249mhz.
Gpu core 540 mhz.
Gpu Mem 1.10 Ghz
2x XFX: NVIDIA GeForce 6600 GT
ForceWare VER 71.81
Operating System(s)
Windows System : Microsoft Windows XP/2002 Home (Win32 x86) 5.01.2600 (Service Pack 2)

3Dmark2001 se 22141 in sli mode.
3Dmark2001 se 21473 one card.

did anyone else notice a drop in scores when they moved to the 1004 final BIOS, or was that just me? I could OC much higher vs 1003, but with 1004, my 3DM05 scores dropped 80pts or so, and I had to use those extra 300MHz that 1004 gave me to get to the same scores I did with 1003.

As anyone tried increasing the PCIe bus speed? Is there a performance increase that goes along with that, or is it unnessicarry?

LoneWolf121188 said:
did anyone else notice a drop in scores when they moved to the 1004 final BIOS, or was that just me? I could OC much higher vs 1003, but with 1004, my 3DM05 scores dropped 80pts or so, and I had to use those extra 300MHz that 1004 gave me to get to the same scores I did with 1003.

As anyone tried increasing the PCIe bus speed? Is there a performance increase that goes along with that, or is it unnessicarry?

My scores seem to be fine. My problem was going to the 1005.003 and .004 beta bios. Those two bios'es are terrible and I highly recommend you stay away from them if you are a heavy overclocker and have your memory running at a very high speed.

The 1005.003 actually currupted my OS and many files that were within.

1004 Official is the best bios to date. Qfan being fixed is a dream come true for me. If your not already using Qfan, go hook up it now!

OC-Master

OC-Master,

You will have my undying admiration if you can figure out why I CANNOT get WinXP to install on my WDC Raptor 74. With a new mobo (RMA) it installed on my old and slow Maxtor ATA133 the first try. The Raptor passes all WDC diags just fine and the WDC tech says call Microsoft--which I have already done (Microsoft Research Support, not just 1st level). I'm using BIOS 1004 Final and have read the manual thoroughly. The raptor is working great as a D: drive--reading and writing files perfectly.

The install fails after successfully formating the raptor and copying all XP files to it, then in the reboot into GUI setup it immediately fails with the error "File missing or corrupt: D:\Windows\System32\hal.dll"

I've even expanded a new copy of hal.dll from the install CD i386 directory and it still fails with the same error. I'm MCSA, Network+, and A+ certified and I guess I'm just too deep into this and would really appreciate a few fresh ideas.

Got any?

Back