• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DFI LanParty nF4 (Guide)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm already pushing my 1Gig of UTT (2x512 Twinmos) ram to 260MHz@2-2-11-2 n 3.4V and I would like to upgrade to 2Gigs of RAM...

I've heard that using 4 sticks of ram is not recommended with Athlon's s939 memory controller...

*Is there anyone running a OCed (or even stock) 4x512MB setup using DFI Lanparty Ultra-D ??

*Will I be able to O/C the 4x512MB sticks close to 250MHz ?

Setup: A64 3200 Winch, DFI NF4 Ultra D, Enermax 485W dual rail PSU.

Imagine said:
I've heard that using 4 sticks of ram is not recommended with Athlon's s939 memory controller...

*Is there anyone running a OCed (or even stock) 4x512MB setup using DFI Lanparty Ultra-D ??

*Will I be able to O/C the 4x512MB sticks close to 250MHz ?
:welcome: to the forums!!!!!!!!

You can run 4 sticks but you'll have to do it at 2T.

I'll let you know about the Venice as soon as they deliver mine..... they're supposed to start sending them on 5/6/05 and mine is on preorder.

Zebbo said:
Sorry, I am a bit tired :)
I thought there were somekind of new 4.14-4 bios available now :rolleyes:

It's all good.... If there was something not posted on your front page I would have told you..... I like this thread because it has all the goodies for this motherboard. :santa:

Super Nade said:
Mate,

Sorry to jack your thread, but could you please ask anybody you help with their settings to share their success in this thread:-

You are not jacking *my* thread, and actually this thread is not mine, it belongs to us all (in my opinion).
Btw, I added that link on the first post, I will post there myself too after I get some more bh5.

Okey, seems like I have to RMA my board. Dimm slots 3 & 4 are dead. :bang head

Last edited:
Zebbo said:
Okey, seems like I have to RMA my board. Dimm slots 3 & 4 are dead. :bang head

Mate,

I am thought I was having problems with the DIMM slots as well. If you are using BH-5, the problem is most likely the BIOS or bad sticks. I could not get my BH-5 to work (bad sticks I think). On the other hand my TCCD is working a bit better than the BH-5. I had to reinstall XP twice yesterday (bringing the number of re-installs with this board to 7 :bang head: ). Strangely, I cannot put a finger on what is killing me, as in more than one case everything was at stock!

Super Nade: I'm glad you tried to help, but I have tried 3 different memory kits in this mobo, and all of them gives me same error. D-Led hangs on DRAM checking and debugging buzzer gives that annoying alarm sound when I try to boot up with dual channel. And I've pretty much tried everything, different bioses, different memory kits, all was just no go.

Mate,

When you reflash the CMOS, should your settings on the CMOS Reloaded part be wiped out as well? This never happens when I reflash the CMOS. If it is supposed to happen, it isn't in my case and that could be the answer to all my problems!

It will not be wiped, but you should not reload it from your old one- you should manually update the settings to what you want and resave them.

CJ

o.k. the 4.14-2 (utt) bios sucks.... can't overclock as high as with the 3/10p

working on the 4.14-3 bios right now which seems to be better..... this one is for utt/tccd ram.

HousERaT said:
o.k. the 4.14-2 (utt) bios sucks.... can't overclock as high as with the 3/10p

working on the 4.14-3 bios right now which seems to be better..... this one is for utt/tccd ram.

There's seweral bioses missing on the #1 post, but there's linkies where you can find 'em(Techpowerup is the one you should look). And this one only for note, UTT requires certain bios settings before it starts to "fly".

I used pretty much the same (aggressive) settings I used with my 3/10p bios..... after trying both the 4/14-2 and 4/14-3 bios, I don't care for either..... I'll stick with the 3/10p bios for now.

yup your missing some bios from the dfi street post one of witch seems to be angrys and rgones favorite for san diego (3/16)

also two quotes of importance from dfi street:
From page 21 of the lputnf4 847505101.pdf manual:

"A DIMM's SPD is originally fixed at 1T. When modules are inserted
in DIMM 1 and DIMM 3, the SPD must be 2T for better system
stability. We recommend inserting DIMMs in DIMM 2 and DIMM 4."

This is applies for 2x512 in dual channel mode.
-vista

this means for dual channel the yellow slots will default you to 1t witch may be too stiff for your ram. the orange will default you to 2t. it sounds as if this has been fixed with bios 3/16 and higher though.

How-To Flash Bios:
grab a bootable pure dos floppy disk (you can download dos image with 310 public release (NOT the "P" performance/beta version, but final version) on it, to be written to floppy above OR download bootable CDROM image w./ all bioses OR you can make one through your operating system: right click a: in my computer -> format -> check make ms dos startup disk) and place awdflash and bios file on this floppy. these can be found (dos flash util and bios file) above.

enter bios -> load optimised defaults -> y->save -> boot off disk -> follow flash instructions in the .txt that comes with awdflash.rar OR type 'flash' at A:, if using bootable dos image w./ 310 on it OR follow on screen instructions if using bootable CDROM image. If using the 'awdflash.rar method', remember to replace BIOSFILE.BIN with bios filename (awd859e BIOSFILE.BIN /py /sn /cd /cp /cc /LD /R /f) -> after it is done, it will reset on its own -> after reset, enter bios -> load optimised defaults->y->save->after POST finishes -> shutdown ->switch off PSU -> unplug -> wait for yellow lights to turn off -> press power a few times-> set clear CMOS jumper -> wait for 10 minutes->set jumper back -> plug in ->switch on -> power up -> enter bios -> load optimised defaults -> now configure your bios.
- pershoot

these directions are quite eleberate and seem to fix lots of problems most people are having

ps sticky? if your looking in here to learn somethin then youve probly got a nf4 or are getting one

Last edited:
phantom punisher, thanks of those! I'll add those on the #1 post in a minutes.

edit: now it should be ok

Last edited:
I have just built my SLI-DR and it boots up with no problems. I have not flashed it to the 310/310P BIOS. The only issue so far with the system is that the #2 DIMM slot is recognized by CPU-z as the #3 slot and so does Everest. I will flash to the 310/310P and looked at the instructions at DFI with the diamond flash image, I assume it is the safest and best way to flash with?

ajlot said:
I have just built my SLI-DR and it boots up with no problems. I have not flashed it to the 310/310P BIOS. The only issue so far with the system is that the #2 DIMM slot is recognized by CPU-z as the #3 slot and so does Everest. I will flash to the 310/310P and looked at the instructions at DFI with the diamond flash image, I assume it is the safest and best way to flash with?

Those dimm slots are marked "wrong" on the board's layout. This is how they goes:

First yellow slot: Dimm 1
First orange slot: Dimm 3

Sec yellow slot: Dimm 2
Sec orange slot: Dimm 4

Dimm slots 1 and 2 = Dual Channel
Dimm slots 3 and 4 = Dual Channel

So there's no issue, it's all fine and it goes like that on any DFI NF4 board too. :)

Back