• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Attention 6970 CF Guys, these new drivers rock.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dominick32

Senior Solid State Aficionado
Fellas, I have been benchmarking with Crysis Warhead the last couple of days and was pleased to see the 1/26/2011 Catalyst Drivers come out. I am seeing some dramatic speed boosts with my 6970 Crossfire Setup. I was using the beta drivers for 64bit win 7, and games that I am playing and benching include: X-Plane 9, Mafia II, and Crysis Warhead.

Just to give you an idea of the speed increase moving to the new 1/26 drivers.
MAFIA II image quality seems to have improved and I used to get this slight blotchy stutter/hiccup every once in a while, that is complete gone and the game is smooth as butter.

X-Plane 9 seems to have smoothed out as well.

But the biggest difference is definitely Crysis Warhead since I have been benchmarking it. I am running two Diamond 6970's in Crossfire X clocked at 950/1440, 0% powertune wattage. Before the new catalyst, using maximum DX10 enthusiast settings, with maximum 1920 X 1200, 8XAA, using warhead benchmark and the AMBUSH timedemo, 1 loop the card was achieving:

66 FPS average with 8XAA, enthusiast, 1920x1200,dx10
74 FPS Average with NO AA, enthusiast, 1920x1200,dx10

After the driver update tonight, no change at all:

75 FPS AVERAGE with 8XAA, enthusiast, 1920x1200,dx10

91 FPS Average with NO AA
enthusiast, 1920x1200,dx10

.........after 5 different timedemos to make sure I wasnt going crazy, the game is noticeably faster and smoother all around. There may even be some IQ improvements across the board, wow great work AMD!

Anyone with 6950's and 6970's in crossfire, these drivers have seemed to work A LOT OF KINKS out with the initial beta and release drivers for the 6900 series, I would recommend everyone picking this new 1/26 catalyst up immediately.

Dom

WOOHOO i might have to get another one.. after i get the rest of my monitors ;)

Hopefully those of us runnnig single 6970's will see some improvement too. I DL'd them last night but haven't had much of a chance to compare performance.

Just done a few tests... and... I get barely any difference in 3DMark Vantage..

Allbeit.. I did get around 50 marks more on the Performance test.. but running it about 3/4 times.. Just an anomaly.. Still around the 17K mark.....

Just done a few tests... and... I get barely any difference in 3DMark Vantage..

Allbeit.. I did get around 50 marks more on the Performance test.. but running it about 3/4 times.. Just an anomaly.. Still around the 17K mark.....

I'm not sure of the difference with a single card.
But I am positive with crossfire enabled on my two diamond 6970's that these new drivers have improved my gaming fps tremendously. Especially on Crysis Warhead. Did you get another card? Or are you running a single card?

Dom

Back