• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Turning on HT causes BlackScreen'O'Death on boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hungryhungry123

Registered
Turning on HT causes BlueScreen'O'Death on boot

Hi,
For a while now i have been having a problem where the PC would display a BSOD saying "driver_irql_not_less_or_equal" just as windows starts - ie after seeing the loading screen and before actually seeing the mouse pointer. however, i found that by turning of Hyper Threading, i dont have the problem.

interestingly, when i let the machine run with the BSOD on for a minute or two, i can then restart and it runs fine. i can even click restart and have no problems. the problem reoccurs when i turn off the pc, allow it 30 mins or so, then turn it back on. it seems that it happeens when the PC is booted from cold.

does anyone have any ideas? I and a lot of poeple i've asked are stumped. and no, reinstalling xp doesnt fix it...

P4 3ghz HT
1 gig ddr ram
radeon 9800 pro 128
audigy 2
windows xp home

thanks

Last edited:
sorry i couldnt resist :)

its a prebuilt Dell system, so ill have to get back to you on what the model of the mobo is, but it seems to work perfectly elsewhere. ive scoured dell websites and the internet in general, but to no avail. and after ringing dell about a different problem, id be surprised if they could fix this...

yes, i believe it was turned off when i recieved the PC - but since then i have reinstalled, and im pretty sure it was on then. so what would you recommend? Btw, thanks for your 2 replies in my 2 topics

hehe, made me chuckle :)

I feel funny chuckling at the pc, in this room by myself :)

If you can, try it in another PC -- they you can say it is/isn't the chip.

~t0m

I would say to turn on HT, then do a clean reinstall of windows. See if that solves it. If not, then there may be a different problem that you are having.

I agree with bchur. When you install Windows, you are not just copying files from the CD. The CD is really a program that sets up a copy specificaly for your hardware. I get the blue screen of death quite often when I change out hardware. The problem with windows is that it does not recognize HT as one chip. When HT is on, windows is saying where the heck did this other cpu come from?

if possible, id like to do a clean install of XP as a last resort, as other people use this computer too and it was a bit of a pain last time.

the thing is, once i have turned on, BSOD, off then turned on, the PC works perfectly with HT on, it is seen as 2 processors in the device manager, and sisandra sees it as one with HT enabled. if there was a permanent problem with windows, i dont see why it would only show from a cold boot? im pretty sure i have the latest motherboard drivers.

I would reset the cmos...And set all bios settings to default..Then see how it goes..

Usually if you install Windows in a DUAL system you have to have both processors durring the install or u end with a single processor install.I am no expert on the home addition BUT it must have a software layer that manages the apps durring hyperthreading and to my way of thinking YOU SHOULD install fresh with H/T enabled ..

My home edition supports hyperthreading just fine!!

In my asus mobo book it states service pack 1 is recomended with HT enabled?

I had a similar problem

I upgraded to P4 3.06Ghz. If I enable HT the PC is unstable crashing in nearly every program.
>I was advised by most to reformat if you do a change like this.... :attn:

>If I run Spybot+Adaware+NAV scan, I get blue sreen of death. :bang head

I solved the problem, by:

1-Uninstalling the processor, and reboot...Then it loads the drivers for both.
>This solved the P4 putting the disk in a senseless loop. I also had blue screen. I now only got lockups with intensive disk work like defrag of NAV scans. At this stage I could burn the P4 with Sisandra without locking.

2-I then came to the conclusion that the disk is unstable with HT, so I update the chipset drivers, reboot, and boy, the PC was stable, but with some minor warnings in Eventviewer about pagefile, and reboot twice :burn: .

3-I then uninstalled disk, and reboot, go in devicemanager at HDD, got message from there to reboot again, so I did.

The problem was solved, so just for the hell of it I uninstalled the processors again, reboot, the disk again, reboot, reboot, deleted all prefetch files, deleted the pagefile.

I cannot get this PC to crash now :argue:, without re-formatting :beer:

:cry:
Note:My experience is that HT is faster in places, and the P4 runs 7c cooler with HT enabled, and 2c cooler than my previous 2Ghz P4, but the heatsink has copper insert, and I added another fan[3x] boosting the processors fan.

It runs +5c in BIOS, +3c atWelcome screen, at max +10c above room temp.

Last edited:
interesting...

ive just reinstalled XP as advised by many, and it seems to have solved the bsod on boot but now i get it on intensive processing, like the guy above said. i will try your method, but 1 q - when you disable the drives and processor, is data lost? i dont want to have to reinstall again....

Back