• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Build, Need Advice ! :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4x4

Registered
Hello everybody :D!
I’m building a new pc for gaming, I thought about many combinations but now I'm 90% there. This is what I’m thinking:

Asus P5E3 Deluxe
2 X Corsair TWIN3X2048-1066C7 (that’s 4 gigs of ddr3)
2 X Asus ATI HD4850
Zalman CNPS 9700 with led
Western Digital HDD Caviar SE16 640GB (WD6400AAKS)
[email protected]

1. What would you guys recommend for a Power supply? is an Epsilon 80Plus 700w good enough ?
2. Will my Q6600 at 3.2 be a bottleneck for those crossfired Ati HD4850 ?
3. Is that a good Harddisk? i heard that it may have issues.

Please help me out, my head is starting to ache from so much decision making:confused:

Excuse my bad english

Last edited:
What about the Seagate ST3640323AS (640GB) ?

And please bother to answer my question.

thanks BigBadBaz, that 750WATT Corsair looks decent and has a good price, any thoughts about the Q6600, i fear it may bottleneck those ATI's

BDW Epsilon power supplies are made by Fortron

I want to add two 120mm fans on the case (one low in the front, and the oher high in the back), any cheap case i might use for that ?

Last edited:
I will read your answers tommorow its 20:10 here

All right, let's look at the whole setup.

First of all, doesn't the Q6600 run at 2.4GHz? Are you planning to overclock it?

If you are planning to overclock, I think that dual cores are easier to play with. By the same token, what are you going to be using this new build for? People generally agree that dual core is better for gaming, while quad core is better for video editing, Photoshop and the like.

Secondly, is there any reason you picked that heatsink/fan? Generally the Thermalright 120 Extreme is considered the best if you're willing to lap it. if not, I'd suggest the OCZ Vendetta 2. I'm using it and it's great.

Third, why don't you go for the 1333MHz version of that RAM:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145183
I don't know if your board can even support 1066MHz (it says 1600/1333) and the 1333 is only $8 more.

Lastly, I'm afraid I don't know anything about that M/B, nor do I know anything about crossfire DDR3 boards, but doesn't that seem more expensive than necessary?

EDIT: BTW, what case are you using?

Last edited:
You shouldnt need 700W, 500 should be more than enough, what you want is quality over quantity. That said, corsair is a great company, and you wont be let down.

You wont need ddr3. They still have kinda high latencies, and theyre still overpriced. Go with some 6400 speed DDR2. Assuming you get some high quality ram, you should be able to overclock it decently, more than enough to reach 3.2 on your Q6600.

Everything else seems to be fine, but you may want to look at getting a single ATI 4850x2 instead of two cards, that way you have another PCI slot open for upgrading later on.

I sent you a PM regarding the heatsink.

Ok, first of all thanks for the support :beer:

1. I want a quad, if i get a lower end one, like this one, I will overclock it to 3.2 Ghz.

2. The Thermalright 120 Extreme is a passive thermal sink, obviously i could add a Scythe S-Flex 1200 mm 1600 RPM fan on it, but i'm not sure if that HUGE cooler would even fit in a case, (i want to keep my sidepanels where they belong). Any comparison done between theese two coolers ?

3. The Mobo is uber overpriced, Im aware of it, as well of the fact that DDR3 won't show massive performance gains versus high end DDR2, but I want this to be a modern build, taking advantage of the new technologies available. I will check out the 1333 MHz
version.

4. I will stick with 700W so far

5. Diddyu what do you mean with "a single ATI 4850x2 instead of two cards" ?

I'm building this PC for gaming, but I will still have to work on it, but I work with programs that dont hog performance so there is no problem.

Question! Is the Q6700 a better choice ?

Last edited:
I have the Q6600 on my new rig now, and I have it overclocked to 2.8 Ghz with no strain whatsoever on the system right now. I have heard of people pussing the Q6600 way over 3.2Ghz so the possibility of power is there. Honestly if you mulitply the 3.2*4=12.8 -lets say around 1Ghz because nothign is 100% efficient. That is still 11.8Ghz which is crazy and way more than any computer can fully utilize. No games right now are even written for quad core (except Crises).

Back