• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Good time to get a gaming laptop?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kristian221

The school issued laptop I have is currently paid for until the end of April, and can be extended until the end of August for a low price. Would now be as good of time as any to get a top of the line laptop (GTX 880M and Haswell ect) or is something big rumored to be right around the corner (a few months) that I would be interested in waiting for?

The school issued laptop I have is currently paid for until the end of April, and can be extended until the end of August for a low price. Would now be as good of time as any to get a top of the line laptop (GTX 880M and Haswell ect) or is something big rumored to be right around the corner (a few months) that I would be interested in waiting for?

IMO, I would look on ASUS's site. I think they make some of the better slimmer gaming laptops. But at the same time, I could never get myself to buy a gaming laptop personally.

I think it is a pretty good time to buy due to new lineup by Nvidia - although the high end GPUs are still based on Kepler rather than Maxwell, and I don't expect Broadwell for another 6 months (even then, the advance in CPU performance is small as it is mainly a die shrink).

Check out XoticPC to get a good idea of what's available and the prices. Being able to customize a rig pays big dividends and, for me, the best part was choosing my OS (Win 7 in my case). There are others, too. I bought my rig from Cyberpower two months ago and I wouldn't hesitate doing it again.

Not worried so much as to what is available right now, as I am to what is just around the corner. A dangerous mentality when it comes to technology :p

So is that a yes then? Nothing new is rumored to come out this year other than the new Intel CPUs?

I like the specs on the MSI GT Series GT70 DominatorPro-889 Gaming, looks like it will do well and has a 2 year warranty.

Back