• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

got shocked by my case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Falconh

Registered
ok I have a antec 1100 and antec HCG-850M PSU. now I was making sure the case screws were tight in the back when my arm brushed against one of the rivets in the back of the case. a small electric shock what the. going to see about doing some more wire management cleaning the hidden lines up and all but what should i be looking for for possible causes? im guessing bad power lines but it felt like an small AC shock but i could be wrong on that i try to avoid electric shocks normally

Are you sure it's not simply static shock, such as from rubbing your feet on carpet, then grounding out on the metal case?

Otherwise definitely inspect every connector and wire in the case. If you have a volt meter or the like, start running down the source. Electrical shorts, especially in your PC case, need to be fixed as soon as possible. Unless you need an excuse to replace PC parts.

no its not a static shock it is an electrical shock. im searching in the attic for my old devry box and im just going to completely redo all the wiring from the psu getting rid of the connections i dont use. but in the mean time speaking of a bad ground im going to check my wall sockets and make sure the are indeed grounded

oh and no carpet hard wood floors

Last edited by a moderator:
I once wired a case for a friend and when we stuffed the UN used connections behind the 5 inch bays one of the Molex connectors made a 12 volt connection with a metal tab. It was a surprise. It also turned the computer in and off too.

I used to get shocked all the time on my ancient PC I had like 10 years ago. When I touched PSU I could feel weak charge going down my arm :D

Sounds like static, which can sting just as much.

Did you keep feeling a shock like that when putting your hand there?

Sorry to resurrect an old thread...I was getting the same thing...started to notice the same thing on my Phantek case. Narrowed it down that it was coming from my LCD display connection...Silly me had monitor plugged into cheap power strip. Plugged it into a better unit and problem gone...sure lucky that nothing else got fried. Lesson learned.

Old power strip can be the cause of a lot of problems. I ended up buying a new refrigerator only to find out the power strip it was plugged in to was failing.

Glad you found the culprit Chum.

Back