• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Higher Resolutions = Better Eye candy?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Geobronc

Hi,
I need to self justify a new monitor purchase.
I have a 15 inch monitor (.25 Mag Innovision) and run most games at 800x600x32.
I am looking into getting a 19" .26 monitor in the near future.
What difference will I see running games at 1024x768x32 vs 800x600x32 ?
Will the picture quality really look that much better ?

What if I ran a 19" Monitor at 1280x1024 ? even better?
I have this new Geforce 3 and need to put it to better use!

Games will look at little better at a higher resolution.
Going from a 15" to a 19" monitor will make a big difference. You will be happy.

You will notice higher resolutions look better although a higher resolution does create a drop in game frame rate. Out of interest though I have a 21 inch monitor but still run games at 800 x 600 because it performs better when playing games online... all I want is a enjoyable game experience and no matter what screen size I have I will play Q3 without all the detail and at a lowish resolution

I went from 15" to 17" and it was like another world opened up. Running at 800x600 has been my rule, the higher resolutions (see specs below) are challenging the FPS ability of my card.

I have a 19" with .26 dpi and a GeForce 2 MX. Every game I play looks sweet. I usually play UT and Tribes 2. 800x600 is fine for me.

Isnt .26 realy high for a 19. The bigger the monitor the smaller the dot pitch. The pice is incredibly low however. I would look at viewsonic if you have the cash they are awsome. Infact if I were you I would get a nice 17" instead of a cheap 19" but thats just me. I have a viewsonic Graphics Series g773 and its great, as an added bonus it has a usb hub built into the base.

BlakeN (Jun 21, 2001 07:32 p.m.):
Isnt .26 realy high for a 19. The bigger the monitor the smaller the dot pitch. The pice is incredibly low however. I would look at viewsonic if you have the cash they are awsome. Infact if I were you I would get a nice 17" instead of a cheap 19" but thats just me. I have a viewsonic Graphics Series g773 and its great, as an added bonus it has a usb hub built into the base.

Yes, I have a HP Pavilion 17" monitor I bought off the shelf at Best Buy (as a return from a new system) for $180, and it's absolutely beautiful, and can sit in front of it for hours with no glare issues and great refresh rates... not to mention it's stylish (as most newer HP equipment is). :)

I could have afforded a low-end 19" for $50-80 more, but the image quality just wasn't there; and now I'm happy I didn't, I really don't need anything bigger

Back