• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is the Prescott cooler on LGA775?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DanIdentity

For anyone that's running a Prescott LGA775 system, would you mind posting your system specs and your temperatures? I'm curious to see if the Prescotts run any cooler on the new platform.

batboy said:
Not sure about CPU temps, but system temps and mosfet temps are lower.

I saw you were possibly putting together an LGA775 system, how's that coming? What are you picking out for components?

I got a brand new X800 XT PCI-E vid card already.

I started modding a new cheapie Apex Supercase case. I'm cutting out the existing fan openings for better air flow and installing a top blowhole (it already has a side duct).

My deal for a mobo fell through, so I ordered an Abit AG8 and a 24 pin Antec True 550w PS.

Planning on ordering a CPU, heatsink, and a couple extra 80mm case fans tonight. Think I've decided on the LGA775 3.2 CPU. That way I can compare benchies to my 3.2C Northy system. I might just try out the Gigabyte 3D Rocket Pro cooler because it looks so cool.

I already have plenty of RAM, harddrives, and optical drives to play with. Hopefully I'll have a system together within a week at most.

Hardcore is my middle name. I'm already taking pics of the case cooling mods, I'll go ahead and take more pics of the whole build too. Dang it, I better break 4 gig.

Well, I warmed up my credit card with zipzoomfly tonight. I ordered the 3.2 LGA775 and the Thermaltake Jungle cooler since I couldn't find the Gigabyte 3D Rocket Pro cooler at my usually retailers. Guess I'll know first hand in a few days if the LGA775 CPUs run cooler on the i915 mobos than the socket 478 Prescotts.

batboy said:
Well, I warmed up my credit card with zipzoomfly tonight. I ordered the 3.2 LGA775 and the Thermaltake Jungle cooler since I couldn't find the Gigabyte 3D Rocket Pro cooler at my usually retailers. Guess I'll know first hand in a few days if the LGA775 CPUs run cooler on the i915 mobos than the socket 478 Prescotts.

Sweet, be sure to let us know your temps! :D

hUMANbEATbOX said:
are any good water blocks available for 775?

Good question. Water blocks, like good heatsinks are still far and few between for the LGA775 pioneers. That's why I'm doing air first. If I like the i915/Prescott rig, then I'll try water.

EDIT

I did some water block research and this is what I found.

1) PolarFLO has a adapter bracket to mount their water block.

http://www.polarflo.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=66

2) Good news! Danger Den now has TDX and RBX versions!

http://www.dangerden.com/mall2/more_block2.asp?fmmore=244
http://www.dangerden.com/mall2/more_block2.asp?fmmore=243

3) More good news! Swiftech now has a LGA775 hold down bracket for their MCW6000 and MCW6002 blocks. Go to the link, click on liquid cooling products, click on MCW6000 and then scroll down to retention mechanisms.

http://www.swiftnets.com/

Hi all a new prescott owner here, I have a Prescott 3.6 that go`s to 4.3 but gets hot so i dont run it at that YET!

When i have it at 3.6 it runs about 53C is this normal what is the max heat the prescott can handle before it turns itself off or damage ?????

I used a Antec 630II case with a Antec neopower 480w 24pin PSU with corsair DDR-II memory with a Asus p5ad2 deluxe.

The intel fan is so loud ahhhhhh when it hits 3500rpm i hate the sound wanting a new heatsink and fan.

So the questions is what is the max heat for the prescott chip, Also when i get a new heatsink i am going to get artic silver paste how much do you put onto the heatsink and where do you put it just a dot in the middle ?????????????

thanks for the help all mmm wish there was a better heatsink out there cant wait to run it at 4.3 zooooooom, lol

see ya later all

Batboy, you still after those 4GHz aren't you? Scrap the LGA775 BS and get yourself a Vapo LS already. It's a better investment. :) I know I'm ordering one within about a week or two.

Meridus, I know you have a socket LGA775, but you might want to read the cooling article that I have linked in my signature. Adding a side duct and increasing case ventilation will help a lot with cooling.

If you think the Intel heatsink/fan is loud... well, most aftermarket coolers will be louder. One that is supposed to a good cooler that is fairly quiet is the Gigabyte 3D Rocket Pro. Watercooling is nice and quiet too.

Not sure what temp those Prescotts start thermal throttling at. The Northwoods were about 70 degrees. The lower your temps the better of course. My rule of thumb is 60 degrees or less with a Prescott.

As for how to apply Arctic Silver thermal paste, go to their website and look at their instructions.

AudiMan said:
Batboy, you still after those 4GHz aren't you? Scrap the LGA775 BS and get yourself a Vapo LS already. It's a better investment. :) I know I'm ordering one within about a week or two.

Awesome!

Too late, I'm committed to the LGA775 now. At least for one rig. I'll still have at least a couple of the old trusty socket 478's hanging around. I stated when the LGA775 first arrived in June that I might try building one in October. Well, October is only about one week away.

Sorry Dan, looks like I sort of hijacked your thread. That will teach ya to ask me a question... hehehe. I probably should start a new thread to track the progress of my new system and give you your thread back.

batboy said:
Awesome!

Too late, I'm committed to the LGA775 now. At least for one rig. I'll still have at least a couple of the old trusty socket 478's hanging around. I stated when the LGA775 first arrived in June that I might try building one in October. Well, October is only about one week away.

Sorry Dan, looks like I sort of hijacked your thread. That will teach ya to ask me a question... hehehe. I probably should start a new thread to track the progress of my new system and give you your thread back.

Haha what's funny is that I had forgotten I was reading my own thread by the time I got down to your post. But it's all good, the more info we got the better! I figured you'd chime in here when I posted anyway. ;)

Is the Prescott cooler on LGA775?
mmm, its different
the 2.80 on need on s478 89.0W and on s775 84.0W
the 3.00 on need on s478 89.0W and on s775 84.0W
the 3.20 on need on s478 89.0W and on s775 84.0W
the 3.40 on need on s478 103.0W and on s775 115.0W
and the (non pressi) 3.40EE on s478 102.9W and on s775 109.6 W

Back