• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ok! got 600$! What to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Scph9002

Ok I am planning to buy an gfx card and are ready to pay around 600-650 bux... what graphics card is the best for that amount of money??

My mobo has and agp slot btw.. so no pci-x card!

ok i got 600$! What card to get?

Ok I am planning to buy an gfx card and are ready to pay around 600-650 bux... what graphics card is the best for that amount of money??

BTW i have an agp slot on my mobo so no pci-x cards!

NOT to be a smarty @$$ but do your reading and get what you want not what others say is best, "That is just openning a can of worms".

Some will say Nvidia & some ATI for various reasons.

Why not get a PCI-E motherboard and a decent PCI-E card with that 600.00?

ASUS nVIDIA GeForce 6800 N/U PCI-Express x16 for 382.00 at newegg...(not in stock at the moment)...and a good PCI-E motherboard between 100.00 - 150.00 (not too sure of a good Intel PCI-E motherboard)...and still have some change left over...

I had been debating on upgrading my Pro...but have decieded not to spend a few hundered on a AGP card that will be replaced within a year with a PCI-E system...

You might want to think about going PCI-E now before it starts to really hit mainstream and the prices start to go up...

cause i want to know peoples opinion man.... and i posted in both because I want many answeres....

Scph9002 said:
cause i want to know peoples opinion man.... and i posted in both because I want many answeres....
Double posting == No.

You can get plenty of opinions here in the general section. I'll garuntee that most anybody who visits the ATi or nVidia section also visits this section, and will give you the same opinion regardless of if it's in the vendor-specific sections or not.

JigPu

glock19owner said:
Why not get a PCI-E motherboard and a decent PCI-E card with that 600.00?

ASUS nVIDIA GeForce 6800 N/U PCI-Express x16 for 382.00 at newegg...(not in stock at the moment)...and a good PCI-E motherboard between 100.00 - 150.00 (not too sure of a good Intel PCI-E motherboard)...and still have some change left over...

I had been debating on upgrading my Pro...but have decieded not to spend a few hundered on a AGP card that will be replaced within a year with a PCI-E system...

You might want to think about going PCI-E now before it starts to really hit mainstream and the prices start to go up...
I have always found adopting new tech costs WAY more - as it becomes more popular I see the prices coming down. I have boughten many new technologies to see the price go down in 6 months.

Also I would not bother upgrading just yet - dual core processors are on the verge and when they come out you will most likely be buying another mobo all over again.....maybe not though.

Dual cores will not be out for over a year and a half and even then...they will be running on the M12 socket and DDR2...and if you notice...PCI-E prices are going up...not down right now...I know for a fact the 6600 is up 30.00 more then when I was looking at them in Dec...

But here is the thing...why waste 600.00 on tomorrows technology...and when the new stuff hits...resell value will be well under 200.00 for the same card...when the resell value of a PCI-E system will be much higher since PCI-E will be more mainstream then...

This is not a new technology buy...but a cost efficient buy

and when the new stuff hits...resell value will be well under 200.00 for the same card...when the resell value of a PCI-E system will be much higher since PCI-E will be more mainstream then...
Resell value?? This is a video card dude not a freakin car :p
And actually Scph9002m IS making a cost efficient buy. Everyone's jumping on the PCI-E and 64bit bandwagon too early when by the time longhorn comes out, it'll be crap. PLUS dual core processors will definitly make those people regret giving in too early. Your AGP mobo will last you until the dual cores come out.
Stick with either the X800XTPE, OR 6800Ultra and you'll be fine. In fact, the cheaper of the two would be best since the difference isn't THAT much compared to the difference in price.

glock19owner said:
Dual cores will not be out for over a year and a half and even then

Ummm Dual Cores are coming out this year. All AMD's line will be out by winter and Intels whole line will be out by early next year (Xeon's are the last to be added early 06').

Yes there may be slow downs but we'll start seeing dual cores by summer time.

As for vid cards. Don't get "the top of the line" get 1 step below it. You'll save money, and when you get ready for a new system in the future you won't feel as guilty of buying it. Most likely you can OC the card to the others speed and even more, but more so then not your CPU will be holding you back from getting faster FPS.

deathman20 said:
Ummm Dual Cores are coming out this year. All AMD's line will be out by winter and Intels whole line will be out by early next year (Xeon's are the last to be added early 06').

Dual Cores will NOT be out this year nor will DD2, not for AMD...Dual Core...DDR2 is not slated until Q1 and Q2 of next year...and even they you add 3 to 6 months for any delays...

Athlon 64

SantiMun said:
Resell value?? This is a video card dude not a freakin car :p

What you have never resold anything in your life but a car...everything has a resell vaule...case in point...less then a year ago...9800 Pros where still going for well over 250.00...you can find them new for less then 200.00 and in some cases less then 175.00...so do you think I can turn around and resell my Pro for 250.00?

glock19owner said:
Dual Cores will NOT be out this year nor will DD2, not for AMD...Dual Core...DDR2 is not slated until Q1 and Q2 of next year...and even they you add 3 to 6 months for any delays...

Athlon 64

Thats why I only quoted your first part of the sentence. Toledo core is due out 4Q this year which is a Dual-Core AMD CPU.

And also according to that website Denmark, Italy, Egypt cores are running DDRII coming out this year. They are from what has been said, suppose to be out around summerish time frame.

Back