• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my computer seems screwed up after putting in watercooling system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guitardude87

Registered
it was working fine after a few minutes of putting load on it. but then suddenly I'm starting to get the blue screen of death and everytime I boot up, even during post the screen seems to have lines and stuff all over the place...the desktop has white dots on the screen and when I move the mouse pointers over the screen the dots begin to blink a lot...then after a few minutes the screen just shuts off and it'll either stay that way or the machine reboots...anyone have any ideas?

craappp, is the cpu overheating? maybe gpu?

did you go back, double check that everything is installed and working properly?

craappp, is the cpu overheating? maybe gpu?

did you go back, double check that everything is installed and working properly?

yup..as soon as I turned it on and started putting a load on them i checked the temps. CPU ran at 39 degrees C and GPUs at 50 degrees a piece.

seems to be healthy temps... sound like an overclocking problem more than overheating.

Do you have another video card you can do some testing with? If so, install it instead of your 8800GT and see how the rig behaves. That behavior sounds more like a failing vid card than something related to cooling on the cpu. You don't necessarily have to boot into windows with the temporary vid card in the system; just get to the bios screen and see if you still see video problems and/or spontaneous reboots.

Do you have another video card you can do some testing with? If so, install it instead of your 8800GT and see how the rig behaves. That behavior sounds more like a failing vid card than something related to cooling on the cpu. You don't necessarily have to boot into windows with the temporary vid card in the system; just get to the bios screen and see if you still see video problems and/or spontaneous reboots.

well..I do on another rig I have..it's also PCI-e...but I have a couple more that's PCI (yes..old school PCI lol) but I guess I can just stick that one in there temporarily just to see how it reacts

ya sounds like artifacting and/or a dying video card. swap cards and see what happens (i would leave the the older video card still in the loop and wrapped in an anti static bag when you have new card in.

ya sounds like artifacting and/or a dying video card. swap cards and see what happens (i would leave the the older video card still in the loop and wrapped in an anti static bag when you have new card in.

what he said.....sounds like dying vid card.....me thinks an RMA could be in order

what he said.....sounds like dying vid card.....me thinks an RMA could be in order

i tried reseating it..that didn't work...i know the cards are not overheating...when I took out the video card i had found spilled coolant within the PCI-e slot..cleaned it out with some compressed air and dried it off with toilet paper...tried it again and the same thing happened (only not so much) but i'm still getting the blue screen of death because the drivers won't load...tomorrow I will check to see if it's a problem with the video card or the motherboard..

if you got coolent in your pci slot its going to take 2 days or more to dry. it could be shorting out some contacts.

if you got coolent in your pci slot its going to take 2 days or more to dry. it could be shorting out some contacts.

should i just let it sit there for a couple of more days without turning it on or should I take some action like..taking a blow dryer and trying to accelerate the drying process?

ya people have done that i'm not fully sure on how long to leave it but here is where i am basing my info from. superdave's water system broke and spilled alot of water all over his pc.

You can go at it some more with compressed air to try to get most of it out, but I'd still let it sit a day or two, and hope nothing is fried.

Yeah, I'd give it at least a day just to make sure its dry. Havent people used alcohol or similar to get the water off the board? Iv herd it can get into all the little gaps and evaporate the water out.

You can go at it some more with compressed air to try to get most of it out, but I'd still let it sit a day or two, and hope nothing is fried.

i guess i can give it another shot...i'll try my both my video cards on another rig I have here just to make sure the problem's not with them..if I find the problem is with one of them then I start the RMA for defective product lol...if it's not one of them then it's definitely the motherboard that's shorting out somewhere in the PCI-e bus that's not letting the video drivers load...it's weird though cuz it won't load the drivers for either card at least from what I'm seeing here..well my system's SLi and the cards are bridged so I wouldn't know if that would have anything to do with it

btw...would the drivers not load by removing the fan and sensors they had on the heatsink that was directly connected to some 4-pin connector?

btw...would the drivers not load by removing the fan and sensors they had on the heatsink that was directly connected to some 4-pin connector?

The system will not care if the fan is on or not. I just put my GPU block back on a booted up and the system never noticed, other than the temp drop that is. I would guess your issue is water or a crapped out card. Blow it out again an let her set. If it still does it then try another card.

it turns out one of the two video cards suffered damage in the leak...i put it in another PC and it screwed up on me just like it was doing on my PC...the other video card works fine and I'm currently using it to get through the day...it's RMA time! lol

Back