• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

VID in a Dell?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I thought the pin mod was for default FSB (i did not look, just assumed), not voltage. So yes, that would help if it works.

Well from what I'm reading, there are 2 different kinds: One for FSB (BSEL mod) and one for voltage (VID mod). Here is a link that I think explains it thoroughly (scroll down to VID mod). I'm debating on trying this, since it appears it can bump me up from 1.35 to 1.45v and maybe squeeze in some more speed. But like I said, I'm new to this stuff, so I'd like a 2nd (and 3rd and 4th) opinion :D

Mainly I'd like to know if I can cause any real damage with .1 more volts to the CPU. I read about volt mods on here so I think I should be safe, but still, input always is appreciated.

vid pad mods are possible but you need the VID of the cpu. always found in coretemp and realtemp, cpuz will display realtime voltage. there are rare instances where i have seen it posted that it shows the VID of the cpu.

knowing the vid is the first step then looking up the settings for that vid, then figuring out what to change the settings too. without seeing the motherboard it is hard to say how much you will want to push the cpu. since dell has the boards designed to operate at a set max TDP. assuming the board can take a quad core then ocing the the dual core with vid pad mods wont be much of a issue. though i still go back to seeing the board is a biggie for me, i dont like seeing ocing on boards with a low count of pwms for the cpu power section. as this will cause problems down the road, as pushing the PWM section section beyond or near its limit will generate alot of heat. generally when the cpu pwm section is pushed to far it could result in programs crashing or windows/system not booting up.

i think as long as you dont go over 1.35v, then you should be ok. i dont think the board would be able to handle much higher with a oc on the cpu as well.

Ok thanks for the info. Did some reading and saw that many people run at 1.6v with the E6600 and most advise 1.55v as the maximum safe-zone. In CPU-Z it shows my maximum & current VCore at 1.35v (I assume because the vcore is at a fixed rate? [I do have EIST and C1E disabled]). Is this an accurate reading? Now naturally I'd like to find out what my board can stand as far as voltage. I read this straight from the TDP wiki:

"The TDP is typically not the most power the chip could ever draw, such as by a power virus, but rather the maximum power that it would draw when running "real applications". This ensures the computer will be able to handle essentially all applications without exceeding its thermal envelope, or requiring a cooling system for the maximum theoretical power (which would cost more but in favor of extra headroom for processing power)."

...and I do know that the board I have (Dell DXP061) can support quad-core cpus. Do you think by +.1v I am jeopardizing the TDP enough to risk a failure? I guess going by what you are saying I should be ok, but I do still heed your warning. With all of that said, how much more speed do you think I could get from an extra .1v to the cpu? A ballpark estimate is totally acceptable. Thanks again

well not all cpus will respond the same way with voltage increase. that makes it harder to say if .1v is going to be enough. i would almost say this could be the best pad mod post but being i didnt have it all straight for L and H signals you want to read the post after mine or was it a few down. my post lists every Bsel signal intel uses for LGA775 cpus so you could take it to 1600fsb.

complete LGA775 and core 2 based mobile bsel table as you can see the mobile side never got the rest from the tables i pulled from. seeing as both lga775 and the mobiles have the rest of the same signaling you could use the same on the mobiles as well if you wanted to try.

really about the dell board, a picture of the board would be helpful. more specifically a picture of around the cpu socket and the surrounding area.

Back