• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

accelero extreme plus II fan problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

latProd

Registered
Hi guys, pretty new to the OC and building scene.
I got the asus gtx 570 directcu II and thought the stock fans were a bit annoying as I'm a silent freak, so i got the accelero. The thing is, the asus card has a 5 pin fan socket, and the accelero has a 3 or 4 pin selection. It also comes with an adapter so i can connect it via a power cable and straight into the PSU. Unfortunately, this means the fans will spin at the same speed regardless of temperatures, which is pretty useless really.
My question is, is there any way to conenct a fan controller to this, or maybe there is a 4 to 5 pin adapter out there? Does anyone have any good ideas to remedy this setup? I want to overclock the card, but it's vital that the fans are dead silent on idle, and that they spin up when the temps increase.

Thanks, weird specific question, but that's typical for me.

Quick fix! Get a fan controller and load that right in there, some fan controllers have heat probes which will delegate the correct amount of airflow to temps :) I don't know about an adapter, just Google it if you need to :)

Fan pin mismatch

Thanks for the info :D
Problem is, the fan pins from the accelero aren't standard, they don't fit into normal 3 or 4 pin fan connectors. They are smaller, probably specifically designed for reference gtx 570 cards.
To add to the chaos, the fans on the accelero just died on me as well, so i had to revert to the stock cooler for my card...which is loud and does not cool as well :/
I assume this piece of **** is the culprit:

http://www.arctic.ac/en/p/spare-parts/421/4-pin-adapter.html

here are the fans on the thing itself:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/42..._xtreme_plus_ii_vga_cooler_review/index5.html

Any ideas on how to make this thing work?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your pic is broke. The fans died eh? You have any luck trying to find the pin-outs on the ASUS card of thier forum? Just a thought.

If all 3 of the fans died, then something happened. If one died, I can see that.

Hmm... And you're sure the the connector doesn't go strait into the card??? Alright! So turns out the fans are PWM fans which allow you to change the RPMs from the motherboard. By looking around it seams that kit comes with a PWM to molex adapter, so you can plug that molex strait into your motherboard and them plug the connector from the cooler into that :)

Last edited:
thanks guys

So, I haven't checked the asus forums, not a bad idea. I'll go prowling to see what i can find.
The Asus card has a 5 pin fan, the accelero has a 3 and 4 pin (they're all mini fan pins), so there is no way that works. I tried the adapter that came with it, and i got the fans running for a couple of days. Problem is, they just run at the same speed all the time since they are connected directly to the PSU. Anyway, now they just died, so i guess i am trying to find some kind of mini to standard fan adapter thing so i can use a fan controller or plug it straight into the motherboard or something. :/

Yep, tried every possible thing. Tried a different molex cable, different slots on the PSU, every conceivable fan connection etc.
The fans on the accelero just doesn't get any power anymore. I am thinking the adapter is screwed, as it felt cheap and flimsy from the get go.
I hope there is a mini 3 or 4 pin to regular 3 or 4 pin adapter out there or i might as well throw the thing away and get a different cooling unit.
The Asus stock fans are simply annoying.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the feedback.
I'll order the damned thing right away and see if it works.
I guess, worst case scenario I've got to mod the damned thing.

To be honest the fans running at the full 12v was darn near silent. (you can read my review for the heatsink on the front page).

Yeah, i read it, it is definately quieter than the stock asus directcuii cooler, that's for sure. Although it seems from your review that the shaman outperforms it. Maybe I should conside that instead. :/

Yeah, i read it, it is definately quieter than the stock asus directcuii cooler, that's for sure. Although it seems from your review that the shaman outperforms it. Maybe I should conside that instead. :/

The Shaman is a fantastic cooler, the one major issue is that I can't/couldn't find one for sale anywhere.

Yeah, cannot be found ANYWHERE.
Anyway, thinking of soldering the accelero fan cables to the 5 pin fan cables of the asus.
Does anyone know what the 5 different colors are? I know one is ground, one is PWM for example, but which of them is which? I cannot seem to find this info anywhere.

Back