• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sager NP9150 CPU Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDawggS316

I have an i7 3630qm and am planning on upgrading to the i7 extreme 3940xm.

Is it as simple as swapping out the hold with the new in this case since they are the same socket type?

It should be just a swap, yes. But I just do not see a reason to pay that much for a meager upgrade.

I have some "fun" money set aside and thought I'd do an upgrade or so on my Sager. I know upgrading from a 680m to a 780m isn't worth it. I did see the CPU differences show a little more upgrade-benefit between the 3630qm and the 3940xm.

My RAM is 16GB 1600MHz, I have a 120 GB SSD OS drive and a 750 GB HDD storage drive.

You will see benefits if you use CPU intensive applications, certainly. Gaming. Likely none. Just make sure you are getting it for the right reasons! :)

Its like upgrading from a 4930K to a 4960K...nobody in their right mind should be doing it...however, in this case, there is a bigger difference between the two, but the concept is the same. Just make sure you need the added horsepower for what you use the laptop for. :)

You should be able to confirm with Sager on the CPU swap if nobody else chimes in with a more concrete answer.

You will see benefits if you use CPU intensive applications, certainly. Gaming. Likely none. Just make sure you are getting it for the right reasons! :)

Its like upgrading from a 4930K to a 4960K...nobody in their right mind should be doing it...however, in this case, there is a bigger difference between the two, but the concept is the same. Just make sure you need the added horsepower for what you use the laptop for. :)

You should be able to confirm with Sager on the CPU swap if nobody else chimes in with a more concrete answer.

Thank you very much sir for the guidance, much appreciated! I think I may focus my upgrade on a larger SSD and HDD.

Back