• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ruh-Roh!! SNDS/GNDS??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orionlion82

Okay, its a 2.8 northie...

I am starting to have that sinking feeling...

Its never been above 1.6V
It is game/folding stable up to 3.4GHZ, and has seen 3.7GHZ
last week or so i havnt bothered to O/C it, so it has been running at stock speeds, voltages - at full load...

tried to O/C yesterday, i just hit my preset in AI booster for 3.0GHZ, - a nice mild day-to-day overclock, no extra voltage or tricks needed and -
BANG!!!

BSOD... okay, reboot, back to stock...

this morning, try to tick up the external frequency manually with aibooster- just 10 more ticks a second - being 210 - ( see sig for rig stats)
BANG!!!

BSOD again...
i thought it was an old NIC i stuck in there yesterday,
but I allways run locked at 66.6/33.3 - just for good measure i pulled it -
windows boots -

and i see the worse thing ever. the OCA recovery screen said this:

"Hardware Failure: Contact Original Equipment Manufacturer

Thank you for submitting an error report. The error was likely caused by:

A hardware failure reported by your Central Processing Unit (CPU)

This behavior occured because your computer processor detected an unrecoverable hardware error and reported it to Windows. For more information, contact the manufacturer of your computer.

Note: As a general rule, Microsoft recommends you back up your files on a regular basis in case of any unexpected hardware failures."

1. should i fear the worst?
2. should i O/C anymore?
3. should i pray it holds till summer and get a faster northwood?
[Edit: just tried to O/C again, no joy - another BSOD- Same OCA error]

Last edited:
can you reset your bios? there should be a jumper on the board. it will put everything back to absolue stock. i've seen that exact same thing on my 2.4c a few times now, usually when i mess with some settings, memory and such. but it is still running faithfull day after day after day at my sig speeds. reset everything, and do some stability tests at stock. if all is well there, try manually ocing. forget ai booster. also, how are the rails on your ps? use mbm5 to see if you get any wild fluctuations in your voltages. it could be a ps problem.

if you've never been past 1.6v i dont think it could be dying...unless your board overvolts severely at idle.

yeah, this board has a wicked droop problem, as do all of that model- and to hold it above 1.525@Load i set it at 1.58V - stock speeds.
and yesterday i saw it it 1.65 before i could crank it down... i usually fold at full load, but i was about to start a game, so i stopped folding... and forgot to think about voltages....i usually stop 1 instance of FAH, drop the voltages, then stop the other but i forgot this time...

i mean, to clarify by above statement, it has never been above 1.6V for any considerable length of time, so it should still be okay,

temperatures and heat and dust check out fine...(for once)

the PSU is not great, but i have hit it way harder at some nasty temps...
the 5V floats at 4.85-5.01 - not the best, but its allways held up okay...

now its time to muck around with the bios, and play guess-that-hardware-problem... i still cant say that
well -
i dont feel comfortable yet dismissing that little voice in the back of my mind saying "Alert - SNDS/GNDS - caution, its gonna blow!"

BAD!!!

maybe AIbooster was calibrated differently -

but i just got MBM5

HOLY LOW VOLTAGES, BATMAN!

Core [email protected] 3.3 @ 2.46 5.0 @ 4.43 12.0 @ 11.7

now i should allso note that the voltages are all over the place, and in the 5 minuets it has been running i have seen much higher and much lower than what i have recorded right here, but generally this is the average.
allso note that AIbooster showed things mostly okay-
OUCH!
how is this thing even running?

Last edited:
Those voltages are probably wrong if you got them from mbm5. Get a voltage meter then test it out at FULL load. Also what kind of PSU do you have?

PEACE

Comparison:

AI booster is showing 1.54V
MBM 1.50

in the name of being thourough i am reinstalling asus probe...

Probe shows 1.52, 2.40, 4.8, and 11.4-11.6

looks like my power supply is taking a dump.

Even uninstalling and reinstalling won't make your probe better. You really just need to get a meter. I looked at your sig and saw it's an aspire. Maybe you should look into a better PSU :cool:

PEACE

yeah, an aspire that it is,
im half tempted to link this thread to case/power supplies.
i fear this thing takes out my rig if (when) it dies...
funny a PSU going south can have the same symptoms as SNDS/GNDS...
time to think about a new PSU i guess....

anytime you get wild fluctuation, you will get instability. i've killed many a PS with my old athon rigs. symptoms usually scare the crap outta you, as it always looks like worst case scenario.

see if you can borrow a ps from a friend to check, or just buy a new one. i'm sure the old aspire would be adequate for a lower-end/stock rig.

If that psu goes out it could take more than it with it. I would shut that system down and get a replacement before other damage occurs.

DON'T USE AiBOOSTER!! seriously, its definately the worse overclocking program ive ever used... use the bios instead... crashed my system when setting the same settings that I had in bios...

Silver said:
If that psu goes out it could take more than it with it. I would shut that system down and get a replacement before other damage occurs.

im kind of glad to have ruled out SNDS/GNDS, but at the same time -

No Doubt - thats my worst fear actually , i would be -on fire- if it took out my rig when it dies...the rails just keep dropping and getting worse...i have absolutely no idea how this thing is still running...
the power conditioners on the MOBO must be taking a beating...and i know that cant go on for ever either...
i really dont have acess to any sort of multimeter, and right now buying food is more important...but compared to software readings when the rig was new - theres defanitely a problem...

yeah, ive got a spare - its a dell with a 250W max on it... i think ill be safe if i use it for just the HDD and MOBO, and the Aspire for all else.
unfortunately, im not sure if it could take any folding load...might try to fold, might not...
[Edit: that little pathetic Dell PSU with 250W of peak power is running my rig - at stock speeds, full loads, and darn good stable voltages..12V still at around 11.7, but its holding steady...reg feels smoother too... heres the lesson in getting a quality PSU]
earliest i could get a replacement PSU would be summer... probably FSP B.S. 500, but thats a little O/T now that i know its not my CPU...
Anyways, thanks for all the help folks.

Last edited:
I know that there is an Antec 380 for sale in the classifieds for $20 shipped. I am running one to push my 2.8c to 3.6 and change folding 24/7.

there is a generic 420W selling... its a great PSU... depends who you buy it from (Me or Super Nade)

:p

I will edit this if you want to consider it self-advertising...

SolidxSnake said:
DON'T USE AiBOOSTER!! seriously, its definately the worse overclocking program ive ever used... use the bios instead... crashed my system when setting the same settings that I had in bios...
Ditto - Everything set manually, via the BIOS, is the only way to go, IMNSHO!

Strat

its not that i dont know how -
i am lazy, and it is convienient - like the one stop shop of tweaking programs,
i like the Shift-On-The-fly aspect of it.... i know theres other genaric proggies out there-
actually it has treated me well, but i admit - that is because i know it's quirks....
i would have to say though that the problem is solved...tonight i will order the Bluestorm 500...
thanks all

Back