• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

dual monitor setup, BIOS display only on DVI and not primary (HDMI)?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guillaume

I have Win7 64 and 2 monitors, one is a 1080p Samsung HDTV HDMI to HDMI, the other is a small older LCD Sony monitor on DVI to DVI. The Samsung is seen as monitor "1" in Win7, and extended desktop works fine. However, when I boot the BIOS only displays on the Sony, the Samsung shows a " no signal" message. Once Win7 starts (desktop) the Samsung starts displaying the image.

Any settings I need to change in order to have the boot sequence display on the Samsung?
Thanks!
G

Last edited:
I have Win7 64 and 2 monitors, one is a 1080p Samsung HDTV HDMI to HDMI, the other is a small older LCD Sony monitor on DVI to DVI. The Samsung is seen as monitor "1" in Win7, and extended desktop works fine. However, when I boot the BIOS only displays on the Sony, the Samsung shows a " no signal" message. Once Win7 starts (desktop) the Samsung starts displaying the image.

Any settings I need to change in order to have the boot sequence display on the Samsung?
Thanks!
G

I think you have to set your HDMI as your primary monitor. If there is no option to do that, that's just how a dual monitor setup works. The second monitor won't boot until the OS in up and running.

If you are using a DVI -> HDMI converter, simply switch the monitor cables on the card. The first time you login to Windows after that, you will have to reconfigure the display. Usually, the output closest to the motherboard is the "default monitor".

Thanks guys.
My HDMI isrecognized in Windows as the primary monitor.
I am not using a DVI to HDMI, I am connected directly to the HDMI on my GTX470.
If I plug only the Samsung, the boot displays just fine. But the moment I plug the seocnd monitor, DVI seems to take priority over HDMI.

By the way is there any benefit to run HDMI -> HDMI? If none, then I'll use an adapter to get the Samsung on ther first DVI port.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.
My HDMI isrecognized in Windows as the primary monitor.
I am not using a DVI to HDMI, I am connected directly to the HDMI on my GTX470.
If I plug only the Samsung, the boot displays just fine. But the moment I plug the seocnd monitor, DVI seems to take priority over HDMI.

By the way is there any benefit to run HDMI -> HDMI? If none, then I'll use an adapter to get the Samsung on ther first DVI port.

above is correct, DVI doesn't transfer sound. and HDMI would have a little sharper and better resolution picture quality. For DVI, you'd need an extra audio cable to get sound.

I'd like to chime in, too...

I'm having a similar problem. I cannot get my new Viewsonic LCD to display a POST screen. It works fine once Vista 64 is loaded and the little icon in the middle of the screen appears and makes music.

I'm using HDMI, this monitor does not have DVI.

Anyone know why LCD screen with HDMI will not show a POST screen?

unless your video card has a separate BIOS outside the mobo I don't know if it can be done. I have my 26" LCD connected HDMI and my 19" connected DVI (or VGA) but either way the 19" always the primary monitor as long as the cable is connected to the graphics card even when the 19" is not powered. I have not found a way to change this. Once windows boots my HDMI 26" becomes the primary screen.
I've found three advantages with HDMI over DVI, the first being less noise from components passing through the shielding of my audio output and the option to go to 60Hz. refresh at 1900x1200 instead of the 59Hz. cap on DVI and I can run a 25" HDMI cable lossless signal to my 52" LCD TV and watch MKV files without having my XBOX decided it does not have a codec to do it when Media Center does (Yeah Microsoft!) - Mail order a 25" HDMI cable can be had for like $20

If anyone does figure out how to get the HDMI monitor to be primary at POST (not at windows login, that's not the problem) please post how it's done.

Back