• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some help,MSI z68A-GD80 (G3)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bypolar1

Vary limited info about this board,I am comming from using a Asrock Extreme3 gen3 and a Biostar P67XE.

On the other 2 boards I was able to get some 2500K's up to 50X and run a few test but at extremely high voltages(1.52+).So i thought this MSI with all the fancy power scheme stuff might fair better.In this board I am using a 2600k and it will clock up to 48x no problems on low voltages 1.385 my issue is any multi above 48x,like 49x or 50x it will run @ 1.4V but the multi gets jumpy, it will not stay @ 49 or 50x while under any load it seems to down clock to 47,48x but as soon as the load is removed it bounces back to 49 or 50x depending on where I have it set.Also any multi past 50x it just post at 48X it is like anything above 49x the board gets screwy.

the board shipped with bios 18.1 which i used for a brief time, now i have 18.4 version now I do not recall the multi issue on the shipped bios but MSI does not have avaiable for download and now I am stuck with the current version.

System specs in 3Dmark

Asrock board

Do you have Internal PLL Overvoltage turned on?

yes i do, i have 3 settings.

auto
enable
disabled

All the standard approaches seem not to apply to this board.It is tipical of MSI to have sum weird bug that has no explaining.

Some bios shots.

Attachments

• bios1.jpg
    bios1.jpg
    308.4 KB · Views: 301
  • bios2.jpg
    bios2.jpg
    314.8 KB · Views: 294
  • bios3.jpg
    bios3.jpg
    311.5 KB · Views: 292
Recieved a beta bios from MSI today(via email) so I will begin testing, initial results seem promising.

Only bug I have noticed is changeing the setting "Change Ratio in windows" to enable seems to cap the turbo boost ratio to 35x no matter what ratio you choose for each core.With the setting disabled the ratios work as they should.

One improvement is changing the Long & short duration power limits from default of 95-118 to 150 stops the ratio throttling while running prime or Intel burn test.Before changing these settings made no difference what so ever.

Hey bypolar1, could'nt do a newbie a favour and give me some steps on manually overclocking on this motherboard, never done it before, the Genie 4.2Ghz is nice but would like to get the most out of this chip if I can.

Thanks.

Hey bypolar1, could'nt do a newbie a favour and give me some steps on manually overclocking on this motherboard, never done it before, the Genie 4.2Ghz is nice but would like to get the most out of this chip if I can.

Thanks.

The board was real easy to get some good clock speeds out of a 2500 or 2600.

1.Load defaults in bios.
2.Use the turbo ratio to start,set to 40x on all cores and run some test
3.Up the turbo ratio in 2x increments doing what ever to test stableness.
4.44x-45x is pretty much max @ default voltages.
5. Use the Turbo boost additional voltage setting at this point set it to .51 and continue testing. if you make it to 45x but 46x is unstable set vcore to 1.25.
6.if you make it to 47x then report back.
6.Make sure your memory is set to run 1333 even if it is 1600 or higher, you can tweak that later afetr max clock is achieved.

The board was real easy to get some good clock speeds out of a 2500 or 2600.

1.Load defaults in bios.
2.Use the turbo ratio to start,set to 40x on all cores and run some test
3.Up the turbo ratio in 2x increments doing what ever to test stableness.
4.44x-45x is pretty much max @ default voltages.
5. Use the Turbo boost additional voltage setting at this point set it to .51 and continue testing. if you make it to 45x but 46x is unstable set vcore to 1.25.
6.if you make it to 47x then report back.
6.Make sure your memory is set to run 1333 even if it is 1600 or higher, you can tweak that later afetr max clock is achieved.

Hey man, thanks for the reply, I'll be looking at doing this soon, can you explain what you mean by turbo ratio, as I can't seem to find anything called that with a ratio option in the bios, what's the exact name?

Thanks.

Hey man, thanks for the reply, I'll be looking at doing this soon, can you explain what you mean by turbo ratio, as I can't seem to find anything called that with a ratio option in the bios, what's the exact name?

Thanks.

The turbo ratio's are "core ratio limit"

i just got the same board
when i disabled EIST including turbo, everything went stable

Back