• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

480GB SSD Only picking up as 32GB..?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goateh

oh hi!

So it's been a while since I've posted here and I do apologise if this has been covered before. Tried searching, but either I didn't use the right terms or the topic that has my answer is labelled randomly...

Anyway, I received a Intel 480GB SSD. Windows 8 picked it up fine and I installed it, we all had fun. However this morning after plugging in an extra hdd I can only see 32GB of space available on the SSD ... that's it ... Hiren's shows me nothing past that in any of the partition utilities :(

Anyone have any ideas? Firmware is up to date on the SSD and the mainboard.

My computer and the windows disk management show it as 33GB when it's plugged into another machine.

Wth is hirens? What does my computer say?

It's a tool/utility bootdisk: http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd

OP: I'd try reflashing the firmware on the drive (even if it is the newest already). If that doesn't solve it, and "diskmgmt.msc" in Windows still shows only 33GB total on the drive, I'd say there's definitely something wrong with the drive.

Did you see the entire capacity of the drive before you put in the HDD? Have you made sure to install the chipset drivers and RST drivers for your board (infinst_autol.exe and iata_enu.exe from Intel's website, I can link you if you can't find them)?

The drive was already at the newest firmware, looks like it shipped with it. Handy :)

I did see the full capacity when I initially installed the drive. In the end I contacted the place of purchase and arranged a swap/RMA of the disk, it was only one day old. The bios and other partitioning tools were only displaying it as 33GB as well, so something was definitely not quite right.

Format the drive as NTFS, it might be fat32 for some reason. wait no, isn't fat32 limited to 8gb or so?

Format the drive as NTFS, it might be fat32 for some reason. wait no, isn't fat32 limited to 8gb or so?

Recent Windows installers refuse to make FAT32 partitions bigger than 32 GB.

FAT32 supports up to about 1 TB.

You can make bigger FAT32 partitions under Windows 95 OSR2, Windows 98 and Windows ME.

Recent Windows installers refuse to make FAT32 partitions bigger than 32 GB.

FAT32 supports up to about 1 TB.

You can make bigger FAT32 partitions under Windows 95 OSR2, Windows 98 and Windows ME.

I've had no problem with Win7 or WinXP making >32GB FAT32 partitions.

With the installer, Microsoft disabled the usual FAT32 max capacity, apparently so they can force people to use NTFS.

Ah, that makes more sense. Diskpart should still be able to make any size FAT32 partition (which is easy enough to get to during the WinPE environment of the installer), however, does Win7 allow installing to an already-made FAT32 partition?

Back