• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED AMD FX-8120 or 8350?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Even the hyper 212+ / evo is a decent enough heatsink for minor overclocking.

NHD14 is better ;)

No argument from me on that front, but it also cost three times the price, and the OP already stated that money IS an issue, and wants to make sure hes spending his $$ as sparingly as possible.

I was simply tossing out a low cost option that is atleast good enough for some overclocking until he is ready to spend some more for a better cooler.

You're going to buy a Sabretooth and even consider not overclocking? Obviously you should overclock on a board like that. Get an NHD14 cpu cooler.

No, thanks costs 88€ :( I rather grab a cheap corsair water cooling :)

I can get cheap Corsair for 55€ but Noctua(i think is called sorry if im wrong) costs 88€

Cheap Corsair AIO units are junk at best. If you're getting one of those get an H100i.

Look into the Phanteks PH-TC14PE and see if its as much as the Noctua where you are.

I can get cheap Corsair for 55€ but Noctua(i think is called sorry if im wrong) costs 88€

In the grand scheme of your build, is it really that much money? It's more reliable and it cools better. You'll be able to overclock higher than with an H50/60. You have to put up the funds for the good stuff.

Last edited:
In the grand scheme of your build, is it really that much money? It's more reliable and it cools better. You'll be able to overclock higher than with an H50/60. You have to put up the funds for the good stuff.

I'm looking for something not too loud and that get's the job done, i'm not OC maniac, probably to 4Ghz max, so i dont need a super-cooler :)
How about H55? Or H20 or Coolermaster SEIDON 120V? Any of them good except H55?

The CM hyper212 would accomplish that for you. Put a second fan on it and off you go. Under $50 with the second fan. That would be the limit on your clock though.

I'm looking for something not too loud and that get's the job done, i'm not OC maniac, probably to 4Ghz max, so i dont need a super-cooler :)
How about H55? Or H20 or Coolermaster SEIDON 120V? Any of them good except H55?

The volume on air cooling or water cooling is going to be the same. You need a fan.

Also, the fact that you're still considering a Sabretooth for a mere 4Ghz overclock seems overkill to me. You're wasting your money IMO.

Last edited:
That's your opinion OCNoob which you are entitled. I don't think it is a waste of money for the sabertooth or the extreme9 as optytrooper recommended. They're powerhouse boards and they're worth every dollar (or euro if that's the case).

Edit:corrected untitled to entitled.

Last edited:
That's your opinion OCNoob which you are untitled. I don't think it is waste of money for the sabertooth or the extreme9 as optytrooper recommended. They're powerhouse boards and they're worth every dollar (or euro if that's the case).

You pretty much told it like it is Blaylock. Suppose BrigApes decides he did not go Intel and like many now needs to overclock the PEE out of his 8 core to keep up and has bought a weak-arse AM3+ mobo? Well now then that would suck and have been a waste of money. Plus the Sabertooth has a good bios and good board cooling with an air cooler for the cpu and will be more effecient consumer wise all around. IMO. Which the user may take or not take as the case maybe.
RGone...ster.

Are you coyly suggesting he go Intel? :p

No not really. A lot of people just don't get it in the long run. Somewhere down the line he is going to make up his own mind and go forward or he is going to continue to rely on what others say. At that point if he went with a big AMD FX processor he is going to wish to h*ll he had gotten a good board and good cooling so he can get ALL that he can get out of his system.

That is what I like to do. Adjust and tweak and modify to go fast. He can get an Intel SandyBridge, IvyBridge or Haswell in their normal sockets and set a multiplier and job done. That is NO freeken fun to me. Nothing to it. In my mind. But a socket 2011 setup that is adjustable like an AMD FX processor is pretty pricey and the only Intel setup that would suit me since I like to do more than raise Vcore and multiplier. However that is me.

So we get to a user that is not yet fully come to grips with the Power consumption and Heat put off by an FX 8 core processor and what it takes to push them to catch up to a run of the mill Intel setup with little fun in my mind, well that user might do well to just get him some Ivy Bridge with unlocked multiplier and a two fan CM212 and just compute. It might be easier on him, even if it is not my personal cup of tea.

I just think the OP needs to get a real grip on what happens out there with AMD FX processors and what it takes to really push one up to where the fun is experienced. Heck he could buy a readibuilt and stay out of overclocking forums and do okay also. Strokes for folks.
RGone...

apply-cold-water-to-the-burned-area.jpg

and +1 to what Bob said

No not really. A lot of people just don't get it in the long run. Somewhere down the line he is going to make up his own mind and go forward or he is going to continue to rely on what others say. At that point if he went with a big AMD FX processor he is going to wish to h*ll he had gotten a good board and good cooling so he can get ALL that he can get out of his system.

That is what I like to do. Adjust and tweak and modify to go fast. He can get an Intel SandyBridge, IvyBridge or Haswell in their normal sockets and set a multiplier and job done. That is NO freeken fun to me. Nothing to it. In my mind. But a socket 2011 setup that is adjustable like an AMD FX processor is pretty pricey and the only Intel setup that would suit me since I like to do more than raise Vcore and multiplier. However that is me.

So we get to a user that is not yet fully come to grips with the Power consumption and Heat put off by an FX 8 core processor and what it takes to push them to catch up to a run of the mill Intel setup with little fun in my mind, well that user might do well to just get him some Ivy Bridge with unlocked multiplier and a two fan CM212 and just compute. It might be easier on him, even if it is not my personal cup of tea.

I just think the OP needs to get a real grip on what happens out there with AMD FX processors and what it takes to really push one up to where the fun is experienced. Heck he could buy a readibuilt and stay out of overclocking forums and do okay also. Strokes for folks.
RGone...

I could not agree more!

RGone...

What i REALLY love is putting together a PC by components, i don't know why but that's the most fun for me on the entire world. Now, i'm not super good in English, but your point is that i'm wasting money on buying adjustablje FX CPU because i'm not gonna squiezze out the performance it has? When i could just simply buy prebuild, or an medium price Intel CPU with medium price mobo? :eh?: Not sure... But when said "I will probably not overclock over 4ghz", i meant probably not now, because i lack of experience in increasing Vcore and other Voltage settings, If i would go Intel i would probably gather up some money for 4770 since i heard i'ts the most recommended(i might be wrong though). But i'm also getting Sabertooth because it's a good one and thinking in the future!
And also because if i will maybe buy a 9-series FX cpu.

Ok, let's just for the Intel fans sake say i would like to buy an Intel rig(CPU+MoBo), what would anyone say it's the best choice for under 400
I was thinking about 4770 or 4670 and maybe G1 Sniper but not sure if that was the mobo i was looking earlier :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back