• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED AMD FX-8120 or 8350?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And also because if i will maybe buy a 9-series FX cpu.

No. Please don't do that. Then you're REALLY flushing money down the toilet. The 9XXX are just 8350s with a higher multiplier and vCore. That's it. You can make your OWN 9XXX with a cheap 8320, a good board, and a good CPU cooler. For much less money.

No. Please don't do that. Then you're REALLY flushing money down the toilet. The 9XXX are just 8350s with a higher multiplier and vCore. That's it. You can make your OWN 9XXX with a cheap 8320, a good board, and a good CPU cooler. For much less money.

I would have to say yes and no to that statement. Yes they are the same die but the 9 series is of a better bin. So to compare I have a 9370 which runs at 4.8 stable with 1.428v. My 8350 on the other hand takes 1.476v for a stable OC at 4.64G.
So yes someone could take a gamble with an 8350 or 8320 and maybe come up with a good sample. I tried a second 8350 which was actually worse than my first by the way. That's what peompted me to try the 9370 also it was a great sale but, AMD has refined their process and the better cpus for the most part end up in the 9xxx series line . They really do fromw my personal experience tend to need less volts for the same clocks. Yes there are 8xxx series CPUs out there that perform on par but I wouldn't say they are the "same" CPU and will clock the same as a blanket statement.

What i REALLY
Ok, let's just for the Intel fans sake say i would like to buy an Intel rig(CPU+MoBo), what would anyone say it's the best choice for under 400
I was thinking about 4770 or 4670 and maybe G1 Sniper but not sure if that was the mobo i was looking earlier :-/

Intel fan boys... Pfff...

With experience, you will notice that very few of the forum members are fanboy.

Just people looking for the best bang for bucks.

Most of us use any kind of rig with disregard of brand, as soon as they match our needs.

That can be raw performance, fun tweaking, budget...

You want to build a htpc? Go AMD APU.
A gaming rig? Go Intel i5.
You like spending hours reaching the highest OC and fine tweaking? Go AMD FX/Phenom.

€400 for a gaming machine? Asrock z87 Pro4 and i5 4670k. Or 4770k if you do heavy multitasking.

Sabertooth and G1 (and all other over €150 mother boards) are waste of money unless you plan on going cold (LN2, Dice, phase change...).

Last edited:
The English Language...Problem???

Maybe a little more clearly what I meant about what I said.

What i REALLY love is putting together a PC by components, i don't know why but that's the most fun for me on the entire world. = Great deal. Why not just say that and say what you really plan to buy and then you would not get all these all over the place suggestions.

Now, i'm not super good in English, but your point is that i'm wasting money on buying adjustablje FX CPU because i'm not gonna squiezze out the performance it has? = Not exactly what I said. What I was trying to get across is that an FX processor has to be pushed to get performance in gaming that matches Intel's better IPC and multiple floating point units for each individual core. PUSHING an 8 core is a HoT process that takes a lot of power passed thru the motherboard VRM circuit. Truthfully only very good mobos and cooling need apply to run 4.6Ghz and above daily.

When i could just simply buy prebuild, or an medium price Intel CPU with medium price mobo? = That is a pretty fair statement if you do not want to tweak what YOU have built.

Not sure... But when said "I will probably not overclock over 4ghz", i meant probably not now, because i lack of experience in increasing Vcore and other Voltage settings = Lack of experience is not an excuse. (Hehehe) We have to teach overclocking daily when there are millions of how-tos on the web. So 4.0Ghz is no more of a job than 4.5GHz when the user has a g00d mobo and g00d cooling.

So taking what I have said to try and make more clear my previous post, I cannot suggest Intel if you really want to build and tweak more than just changing the multiplier and adding Vcore. Intel to adjust and play with like we do with our g00d FX setups is quite a bit more expensive to get the 2011 mobo platform. That socket 2011 is very adjustable and very powerful, but more money than most will spend just for gaming when overclocking and tweaking is not their hobby.
RGone...ster.

<><><><><><><><>
attachment.php
<><><><><><><><>

Sorry Im a AMD Fanboy
I said it Im out of the closet

:rofl:

Ok, that was funny :clap:

But anyway thanks RGone for explanation, English(as you may notice) is not my mother tongue, and getting the point in longer text is almost difficult to me.
And thanks for taking time for instead calling me "******", you just simply explain it to me. So getting i5 4670 would still be a good deal? I could OC it to at least 4Ghz on stock cooler? But it's a 4 core and FX is 8, and i do heavy-multitasking, from Unity 3D to few Photoshop windows while playing BF3, so that's pretty much one of the heavyest task, not to mention if i could add a recording+rendering. You said how FX are flexible, but are also Intel? A 1550 socket? As mentioned they are more of 'Gaming' way, the one i think the 8320 will do just fine to 60fps for like 3 years or so(at least i hope)

And about Intel MoBo, you said anything above 150€ is a waste of money, so let's say if i buy a 160€ Intel mobo, could i still buy a let's say i7 7th gen CPU? (at least i think 8th gen is the last :/ )

Brigapes, what place do you buy parts from? Internet address so we can look and see what is available there for you to buy.

Brigapes, what place do you buy parts from? Internet address so we can look and see what is available there for you to buy.

Sure.

www.sestavi.si

It's a Slovenian site, hope you can actually go to it
Translation:
Komponente = Components
Procesorji = CPU
Osnovna plošča = Motherboard
Grafične kartice = Graphics cards
Pomnilnik = RAM
Je na zalogi » is on stock
ni na zalogi » out of stock*
*some items are still on stock despite the out of stock mark!

Probably words what you need to know :)

Last edited:
And about Intel MoBo, you said anything above 150€ is a waste of money, so let's say if i buy a 160€ Intel mobo, could i still buy a let's say i7 7th gen CPU? (at least i think 8th gen is the last :/ )

4th gen is the latest. Not 8th. And no you won't do any better buying 3rd gen, besides screwing yourself out of 5-10% performance gains. A 3570K is only $10-20 cheaper than a 4670K, and you're buying a dead CPU on a dead socket. Not a smart thing to do.

If you're heavily multitasking, the CPU for you is the 4770K. It's much more expensive than the 8320 but it's a better CPU overall according to every benchmark I've ever seen. Get an ASUS Z87-A motherboard. It's all youll need. About $130.

4th gen is the latest. Not 8th. And no you won't do any better buying 3rd gen, besides screwing yourself out of 5-10% performance gains. A 3570K is only $10-20 cheaper than a 4670K, and you're buying a dead CPU on a dead socket. Not a smart thing to do.

If you're heavily multitasking, the CPU for you is the 4770K. It's much more expensive than the 8320 but it's a better CPU overall according to every benchmark I've ever seen. Get an ASUS Z87-A motherboard. It's all youll need. About $130.

^+1 I agree with everything except the dead socket statement. It seems to me that AMD and Intel switch sockets so often that they're all dead sockets. I'm beginning to get into the mindset that CPU/mobo should be upgraded at the same time as they're both changing frequently. IMHO.

XD i failed with num. 8 i mixed it with AMD 9 and 8 gen. I meant with 3 and 4 gen.
but with 130 mobo, could i still upgrade to maybe something like 39xx i7??

No a socket 1151, or 1155 motherboard wont support a socket 2011 CPU. Socket 2011 motherboards start at ~220 if my memory serves right.

FX8320 chip Ausu Sabertooth r2 990fx Thats all that needs to be said
Use 8 cores when needed or drop to 6 or 4 and crank it up
I have a i5 intel and Im not impressed but it is a laptop
Evo 212 and your done

I have a i5 intel and Im not impressed but it is a laptop

So why are you even mentioning it? A laptop CPU is WAY less capable than a desktop CPU.

Brigapes, dude, your thread is 11,000 pages long. Make a decision and pull the trigger. Do you want to spend $600 on a CPU and $350 on a mobo? No? Socket 2011 and Intel 6 cores are not for you. Do you want something that will out-do the 8320 across the board? 4770K, asus Z87-A. Do you want to save a bit of money and get something almost as good? 8320/8350, Sabretooth board. Make a pimp decision son! :thup:

So why are you even mentioning it? A laptop CPU is WAY less capable than a desktop CPU.

Brigapes, dude, your thread is 11,000 pages long. Make a decision and pull the trigger. Do you want to spend $600 on a CPU and $350 on a mobo? No? Socket 2011 and Intel 6 cores are not for you. Do you want something that will out-do the 8320 across the board? 4770K, asus Z87-A. Do you want to save a bit of money and get something almost as good? 8320/8350, Sabretooth board. Make a pimp decision son and spank that a**! :thup:

Fixed!:clap::rofl:

USA prices for either the Intel or the AMD setup. You can compare what is available to you in your country where you can buy and decide what you may wish to purchase. Either 8-core combination should do well for your inteded use overall. I don't care what you buy and I do not suggest Intel in an AMD forum section unless the user is a gamer only. Where you wish to do considerable video editting, the AMD rig will serve you well for that and not be excessively off the pace in gaming. Good luck.

$339.99 Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K 4-core with Hyperthreading to appear as 8 core. Unlocked multiplier.

$239.99 Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell 3.4GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I54670K 4-core. Unlocked multiplier.

$189.99 ASRock Z87 Extreme4/TB4 LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
OR
$194.99 ASUS Z87-PRO LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

$34.99 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan

$159.99 AMD FX-8320 Vishera 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8320FRHKBOX 4-module/8-core processor. Unlocked multiplier. Change multiplier to 20x for 4.0Ghz. Not a problem with either motherboard shown below.

$184.49 ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
OR
$179.99 ASRock 990FX Extreme9 AM3+ AMD 990FX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

$34.99 Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120 mm PWM Fan << You could add a second fan like the one that comes with the cooler for 'added' cooling when used with the FX 8 core processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back