• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New KB coming!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Archer0915

"The Expert"
New KB coming!

Gigabyte Aivia Osmium Cherry Red Mechanical Gaming Keyboard Blue Back-lit (GK-OSMIUM)

Thoughts?

Never got why manufacturers put the extra USB/headphone/mic jacks on the right side. I have a Das Keyboard with the USB ports on the right. Anything I might plug into them, such as flash drives, just seem to get in the way of the mouse (if you're right handed, of course). I think Logitech got it right with the G series - put the ports on the back and add cable channels underneath.

Other than that, seems alright. Cable seems a bit bulky, but then again I never had a keyboard with audio pass-through, so I don't know if that's normal.

My keyboard is multi-purpose and I actually do quite a bit of typing, so I'm going to give the Cherry Brown switches a try instead of Reds. I just haven't had the courage to actually pull the trigger on a $100+ keyboard yet, but one is currently in my Amazon shopping cart, lol.

Other than that, it looks OK, but final verdict will probably depend on pricing. I'd guess MSRP will be $150-175. I agree with the freak on the oddness of putting the USB ports on the right, but I mouse lefty anyway. I am glad to see they put USB 3.0 ports on that one though.

I still just use an old Microsoft Ergonomic KB and a trackball myself, whatever floats your boat.

I hate using any straight keyboards these days after using these so long.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823109148

and this my preferred long time friends now I guess.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA3SD1AW0857

still have one of these old bad boys I hook in for macros etc when needed, but don't use him much these days.

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-9675...8&qid=1392614808&sr=8-5&keywords=g15+logitech

Last edited:
Rosewill Keyboard

Got that the other day.. Was using an old PS/2 eMachines keyboard, so its a huge improvement. Not as good as a mechanical but the tactile feedback is above average compared to the logitech I have. And the orange keys switch out in a matter of seconds.

I need a strong KB because I go through about 2-3 stenciled keyboards a year. I just ware the letters off. Hell I actually have one I kept with fingerprints embedded. Had it for 3 years and then the daughter started doing some typing and did not know where the keys were.

yeah, I'm about on my third or fourth Ergo here, the letters tend to wear out and had been beer collateral damage now and then.

I actually saw someone on the egg post about putting clear coat on a new keyboard so they don't fade over time, forget what it brand it was before even using it out of the box.

yeah, I'm about on my third or fourth Ergo here, the letters tend to wear out and had been beer collateral damage now and then.

I actually saw someone on the egg post about putting clear coat on a new keyboard so they don't fade over time, forget what it brand it was before even using it out of the box.

Clear finger nail polish would probably work as well.

My current keyboard is a Microsoft Comfort Curve 2000. I've had it for about 6 years and done a ton of typing on it. The key lettering hasn't faded or smudged one iota. I've liked it. The issue is that with my present schooling and clinical rotations at various hospitals, I'm constantly switching from my "home" keyboard to a normal layout keyboard. It's not much different, but I get a lot of typos initially. I've wanted a mechanical keyboard for a while anyway, so I'm probably going to pull the trigger soon and go back to a standard layout.

If you're concerned with the keyboard markings coming off, clear nail polish helps, or you could go the hardcore route and get a keyboard like the Das Keyboard Ultimate which is a 100% standard layout, but the keys have no markings at all. It looks fantastic, but I'm not sure I could do it. I have to look for the special keys like brackets and whatnot. There are also keyboards with side markings instead of top. The best solution is to buy a keyboard where the keys are etched instead of screen printed though. They're a bit more expensive, but you won't rub the markings off.

Figures it would be German.

I had a similar thought when I first saw it. I think I could do it, but I'm not entirely sure so I wouldn't risk it. I'd feel totally badass every time I sat down to type on it though. :salute:

Either that or I'd want to flagellate myself for subjecting myself to that sort of special torture. I think I'd learn where the keys were pretty fast, and that's kind of the point.

The best solution is to buy a keyboard where the keys are etched instead of screen printed though. They're a bit more expensive, but you won't rub the markings off.

This one is 120 and the letters go all the way through! Each key is lighted as well.

I wear out keyboards too, but I got the G710+ and since it is mechanical with LED backlighting it'll be harder to decimate than my older boards.

I wear out keyboards too, but I got the G710+ and since it is mechanical with LED backlighting it'll be harder to decimate than my older boards.

That is my thinking. I actually considered this first:
ROCCAT Ryos MK Pro ROC-12-851-BE Black 8 (T1 - T3, M1 - M5) Function Keys USB Wired Gaming Mechanical Keyboard with Per-key Illumination - Blue Cherry MX Key Switch

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823436006

I like the mechanical clickey! But decided that it might became annoying.

I just think some boards have more features than I can use...

I also use the G710+ and would highly recommend it. I was a huge fan of the G110 (for layout, as well as the dedicated multimedia keys, etc), and the G710+ is the first mechanical keyboard I've seen that uses Browns (my favorite key type that I've tried, so far), has dedicated multimedia keys, and it also has a full-speed USB2.0 port (not a hub, just an extension, the keyboard has 2 USB plugs going to the computer) on the back as a nice added touch. The white backlighting is good, and it's built way more solid than any other Logitech board I've used (and more than all the Razer boards I've seen too).

Got my mechanical today. Das Keyboard with the labeled key caps and Cherry Brown switches. I'm not sure what I think of it so far. The key action is outstanding and the sound it makes is phenomenal, but I feel like I actually have the push the key further down to register a keystroke compared to my Microsoft Comfort Curve with membrane dome switches. Maybe I'll adapt over the course of a few days and come to like it.

I'm finding the sounds it makes to be mildly addictive if I'm honest. The space bar makes a nice ring sometimes if I press it particularly sharply. This is bad news for me on forums, as I tend to ramble on and on when I post to begin with ...

Got my mechanical today. Das Keyboard with the labeled key caps and Cherry Brown switches. I'm not sure what I think of it so far. The key action is outstanding and the sound it makes is phenomenal, but I feel like I actually have the push the key further down to register a keystroke compared to my Microsoft Comfort Curve with membrane dome switches. Maybe I'll adapt over the course of a few days and come to like it.

I'm finding the sounds it makes to be mildly addictive if I'm honest. The space bar makes a nice ring sometimes if I press it particularly sharply. This is bad news for me on forums, as I tend to ramble on and on when I post to begin with ...

That's how I felt - I just wanted to find stuff to type.

I realize I type heavy because I bottom out a lot on browns if I'm not paying attention. I can force myself to type lighter barely pushing in the keys and everything still registers which seems to be the opposite in your case, but it just feels unnatural to me. I really was interested in MX clears (heavier browns) but they are hard to find. I did see I can buy the switches in packs of 5 though, so I may buy some and swap them out to see how they feel.

Back