• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Retro Gaming Build Help (7950 GX2 Quad SLI)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

click4dylan

Registered
Can someone please recommend a motherboard to me that I can get for cheap that will support two Geforce 7950 GX2's in quad SLI. I currently have an Athlon 2 x2 245 CPU and a Foxconn A7DA-S motherboard. I installed Hyper SLI, but i do not have the ability to enable Quad SLI in the geforce drivers. I'm assuming this is because the motherboard only supports x8 if you have two cards installed and the 7950 GX2 requires x16.

I preferably want an AM2+ motherboard instead of an AM3 since i do not have any spare DDR3 memory.

If it's cheaper to go the Intel route, that's fine with me. Thanks!

I'm assuming this is because the motherboard only supports x8 if you have two cards installed and the 7950 GX2 requires x16.

Maybe it is my ignorance, but I have never seen cards that require x16. x8/x16 is just the speed of data flow, typically not physical size.

Do you have the cards connected via the SLI bridge?

yes, there is an SLI bridge between them. the 7950 gx2 turns 16 pci-e lanes into 8. 8 for each GPU. if you have an x8/x8 motherboard, it would turn 8 lanes into 4. 4 for each gpu. i think it won't work like that

here's the finished project. got a 680i board and a q6600. will show some better pics of the PC itself soon. note i've since added 3 fans exhausting the hot air from the cards after this picture was taken:

Here's a video of it playing Tomb Raider 2013:

Back