• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard blocks installed without watercooling installed

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Daddyjaxx

I've been out of the overclocking scene for quite awhile. I'm getting back in again with a SS phase and watercooling. I have a Rampage 4 Extreme Black and will be using EK blocks for the board. Can I install the blocks and run the system without the watercooling system installed? The stock cooling is just passive aluminum and this would at least be passive nickel.

I'd like to install the blocks, insulate the board, and test the phase before installing the watercooling complete.

As far as I know, cooling blocks themselves don't dissipate heat very well via air cooling. I'd recommend against it.

You weren't real specific about your setup ... The VRMs will be fine if you don't push the system too hard, but the CPU is going to need more than a block with no flow if you're using water there.

daddjaxx, you live not far down the road from me.

don't do it, things might get hotter than we expect.

I wanted to make sure my SS phase works and the computer boots before I put all of the watercooling parts together in the case. I should have everything finished this weekend. Everything is ready except for me installing into the case.

Lil Devil V10 Phase Change Case
Asus Rampage IV Black
I7-4930K
32GB Corsair Platinum 2666
2 x 780TI Classifieds
EK GPU and board blocks
480RX Rad
Corsair 1200-i
Maelstrom dual MCP35X pump res

Back