• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Creating an image to load in Virtual PC 2004

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TimDgsr

Okay, what I have is two machines that are running an insane amount of services that aren't even supposed to work together(two demo laptops). It took around a month for the person that set it up to get everything on and properly communicating. He was being rushed to get it all done, like asap and told not to worry about documentation. Now we need copies of it on virtual pc, and he says it will take at least 2-3 weeks to reload the machines because of the lack of documentation, he knows most of the issues but would still have to work through some processes again.

What I'm looking for is a way to possibly take an image of the running machines and reload them into a virtual machine, that way we avoid most of the setup again. Ghost doesn't boot properly with any NIC drivers that we've tried in virtual pc. Trueimage acts like it's about to reload the image, but it just stops and goes back to the main menu. In the process now of using NT backup on the machines, then going to load windows 2003 serv in virtual pc and try to restore those backups.

I'm really not sure it's possible at all, the people at Microsoft claim it's not. But they claim a lot of things aren't possible, just because they don't want to support it.

If anyone has any suggestions or ideas they would be greatly appreciated.

Back