• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Beginner's Guide to Water Cooling Your PC *** READ THIS FIRST ***

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Great article

This piece was so much informative and helpful as I am preparing to build my first water cooled machine.

And this article is the reason why I joined this forum.
It will be nice to add power supply requirements as well. Which will help choosing right PSU.

I am now worried about few things. Block on a maximum vi formula must be aluminium.so using it with other copper blocks will be bad idea? for a water cooled 770 GTX IS there any card that comes with block?

This piece was so much informative and helpful as I am preparing to build my first water cooled machine.

And this article is the reason why I joined this forum.
It will be nice to add power supply requirements as well. Which will help choosing right PSU.

I am now worried about few things. Block on a maximum vi formula must be aluminium.so using it with other copper blocks will be bad idea? for a water cooled 770 GTX IS there any card that comes with block?

Glad this helped! Make your own post in our watercooling thread as we'll be there in no time to assist you.

I am new to water cooling and I have a general question. This will probably be viewed as a stupid question, though. When compared to traditionally air cooled motherboards, what are the benefits of water cooled motherboards? Ultimately, water cooled motherboards are eventually cooled by air because of the fans that cool the water. Using basic laws of thermal dynamics I can't see why it's better to cool the water by air as opposed to just directly cooling the motherboard with those same fans. What am I missing?

I am new to water cooling and I have a general question. This will probably be viewed as a stupid question, though. When compared to traditionally air cooled motherboards, what are the benefits of water cooled motherboards? Ultimately, water cooled motherboards are eventually cooled by air because of the fans that cool the water. Using basic laws of thermal dynamics I can't see why it's better to cool the water by air as opposed to just directly cooling the motherboard with those same fans. What am I missing?

Welcome to OCFs!

Create a thread with whatever questions you may have and we'll join in to assist you.

Thanks

Thanks!

I've actually looked into the necessity of updating this and aside from some of the actual parts, everything is still accurate. Maybe next year. :)

ASRock G41M-VS3 can take a watercooling system need to know why to with ideas to buy

Hi there,

I'm hoping this site is better at answering my questions. XD lol!

I'm planning on switching to a water cooling system very soon. I just want to water cool my CPU to overclock my AMD FX 8350. So any water cooler is fine with me, but preferably the XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240. My gaming case of choice will be the Enermax Ostrog GT mid tower. I'd like to be able to use the XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 mounted to the top, but not sure if the radiator will fit. Also, I like the Cooler Master Nepton 240m AIO. I've seen reviews, guides and looked up the specs, saying it can support 240/280mm radiators at the top. However, they say it's a tight fit so there's the possibility to having to off set one or both the fans to make some adjustments. So my question is: will either the XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 or Cooler Master Nepton 240m do the job for this case? Thanks in advance! ^^

Hi there,

I'm hoping this site is better at answering my questions. XD lol!

I'm planning on switching to a water cooling system very soon. I just want to water cool my CPU to overclock my AMD FX 8350. So any water cooler is fine with me, but preferably the XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240. My gaming case of choice will be the Enermax Ostrog GT mid tower. I'd like to be able to use the XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 mounted to the top, but not sure if the radiator will fit. Also, I like the Cooler Master Nepton 240m AIO. I've seen reviews, guides and looked up the specs, saying it can support 240/280mm radiators at the top. However, they say it's a tight fit so there's the possibility to having to off set one or both the fans to make some adjustments. So my question is: will either the XSPC Raystorm 750 RS240 or Cooler Master Nepton 240m do the job for this case? Thanks in advance! ^^

Please start a thread in our water cooling section right under you to better assist you. Thanks! :D

Hello, did anyone think at getting water through stock heat piping of the motherboard and or gpu?? I want to try it, example : my pc has a water cooling system at the cpu but I want to cut the end's of the gpu stock cooler, and add piping through it... Is it gona make any difference?

Hello, did anyone think at getting water through stock heat piping of the motherboard and or gpu?? I want to try it, example : my pc has a water cooling system at the cpu but I want to cut the end's of the gpu stock cooler, and add piping through it... Is it gona make any difference?

That would be far too restrictive. The actual holes in those heatpipes are very small. Add that to the fact you'd have a tough time getting any kind of seal on there and you're just flirting with disaster.

The pipes taking heat to the fins and being cooled by a fan would also be far more efficient at cooling the chips than trying to push water through there would; there's a reason water blocks have little pins/channels for the water to go through - increased surface area. Having water just shoot through pipes, even if it were easily possible, would do no good.

You can buy your own heat pipes...even custom made ones. Expensive though (and you have to know how to solder them to attach).

If you buy heat pipes, pay attention to gravity!

Thank you very much,I try to do my dream pc, as most of it is custom I don't know how and if I can post photos, it looks mad :)) and thank you for your advices

Fantastic Tips

These are really fantastic tips for cooling a PC. Never got information in such detail. I am trying cypto mining at home but most of the time PC goes over heated some times SMPS failure. But Still trying to solve heating issue.

Thanks a lot guys!

To anyone that reads - I was serious about feedback too. If there are items of concern I'm happy to reexamine sections / add if necessary.

If you're a new builder an have questions, we're here for you too! You can post quick questions here or start your own thread in the water cooling section. Just always remember - you never stop learning about this hobby. This covers most of the basics, but each build is unique to the builder and you need to research what works best for what you want out of water cooling. :thup:

I know this is an old thread.

But i have a question where i can't seem to find a clear answer on. Is it possible to put 2 Pump /Res combos in series in a single loop? Or do you need to buy the pumps and reservoirs separately?
To increase head pressure and have redundancy while also controlling the speed with PWM. Or do you need to buy the pumps and reservoirs separately?
I have build my first custom loop a 2 years ago on an old system. I've bin buying parts (case, water cooling gear, fans,etc ) for a few months now for a new build. And while most people who build bigger systems go dual loop nowadays. I would prefer 1 loop.

I know this is an old thread.

But i have a question where i can't seem to find a clear answer on. Is it possible to put 2 Pump /Res combos in series in a single loop? Or do you need to buy the pumps and reservoirs separately?
To increase head pressure and have redundancy while also controlling the speed with PWM. Or do you need to buy the pumps and reservoirs separately?
I have build my first custom loop a 2 years ago on an old system. I've bin buying parts (case, water cooling gear, fans,etc ) for a few months now for a new build. And while most people who build bigger systems go dual loop nowadays. I would prefer 1 loop.

Those are all great questions but I would recommend starting your own thread.

Thanks and :welcome: to OCFs!

Excellent article, but maybe it is time for an update regards product/brand recommendations, considering its 8 years old :)

Excellent article, but maybe it is time for an update regards product/brand recommendations, considering its 8 years old :)

Can't say I disagree, but I haven't bought water cooling equipment (or computer equipment in general...life got busy) for several years now. If folks want to make suggestions we can look into some edits.

Back