• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Toms posts r9-290x bench's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
wonder if those are even real or they are just messing around lol.

haha had to post this quote from their thread
I know it's a new card, but are you seeing any microstutter or judder or is it smooth?

Will you be testing with BF3?

Will you be checking the SLI capabilities (and microstutter)?

edit: now that i reread the last few sentences i understand what he was saying now :)

Last edited:
AMD was very specific that the only numbers it’s approving come from BioShock Infinite and Tomb Raider

Both are custom benchmarks, not canned benchmarks, and those are the only two that can be published?

Sounds like AMD is hiding something.

I would expect this card to do better at that res... it has a wider memory bus and more vram supposedly, right?

What about 2560x1440 where cards like the 780 thrive?

/shrug. Not worth mentioning unless it isn't custom. Will want to see a full review and not just 4K for the .0001% of people that can/has one.

I would expect this card to do better at that res... it has a wider memory bus and more vram supposedly, right?

What about 2560x1440 where cards like the 780 thrive?

total and complete annihilation.

GTX 780 TI: Key to match AMD. Sorry for the "non TI" owners... but thats how to cookie crumbles.

Seems like AMD had in mind to hide the 290X forever from the public, but Nvidias 780 TI announcements most likely was luring the golden scarab out of the hole. :D

Last edited:
Well, I am happy with my 780!

I am kind of AMD fan, but with a $650 price tag, they shoot them in the foot!

Heck, got my 780 for €500, new. I would not put an extra €150/€200 for a card performing 5 to 10% better, without knowing its OC capability.

My 780 runs@1280/1.25v 24/7!

Well, that 500 euro is definitely on the bottom of 780 prices, in my country I have to look very hard to get it at that, most are starting from 540 and up.
But if amd puts a higher price on the R9 290X in euro countries, I suspect they wont sell much. Or it has to be significantly faster than the gtx780.

On a side note, saw a R9 280X toxic 1150/1600 for 325 euro in my country, that would make me think the R9 290X will stay below the 500 euro mark.
All speculation ofcourse, but it would be doing poor business if they price the top model above their direct competition.

The lowest offer for a GTX 780 in my country is 715 $ (including 8% taxes) so im actually unable to get a GTX 780 for 685 $. Be aware that 500 EUR is close to 685 $, so it may look like "low" but EUR is much higher "rated value". Close to 700 $ isnt cheap at all... and i still would have to pay above 700 $ (including taxes), no way to have it lower than that at current time.

I got no clue why some people are telling such weird stuff, i have no interest protecting AMDs 290X pricing because i dont get paid for nor any other advantage, AMD is just mean to me and nothing else. But by common sense... its just not true that a GTX 780 is cheaper at all. The prices are pretty high and totaly comparable to the estimated price of a 290X. Note: Estimated, we dont have clear infos so far.

Of course, Nvidia will almost certainly drop the prices of the old GTX 780 as soon as 780 TI released and AMDs 290X available, but probably not any sooner than that. There is just no need because Nvidia still seems "supreme" in the eye of most people, so they may pay a full priced GTX 780 even short time before new releases. By common sense in a speculative approach: I think the 290X when released may match the price of a 780 GTX for a while. Short time later Nvidia may release a 780 TI with more or less the same performance such as the 290X and that new card will match the price of the 290X. The old 780 GTX may get a price cut and it may compete against the 290 (non X version), prehaps it may even beat that card by a small margin, so it may be priced a little bit higher but its basically here in order to challenge the 290 (non X). Right now, there is no real match for the 290 (non X) because it may perform almost the same such as the 780 GTX, and the 290X may be a bit ahead of the 780 GTX, prehaps around 10% and in that term its same performance such as a Titan, so the performance of the Titan isnt beaten but at least AMD did catch up to Nvidias current flagship.

Of course when the 780 TI and prehaps a Titan Ultra is relased Nvidia may once again be a bit ahead of AMD cards. However, that stuff will be priced in a pretty hardcore way and isnt truly made for the "usual customer", its more of a premium product. As long as Nvidia is using the same old Kepler architecture, the die will need to be increased (prehaps up to 600 mm3, thats crazy expensive) and those cards may run pretty hot, so its not the best bet for people with average cooling and non OC solutions. So far the industry isnt ready for 20 nm, so Nvidia will have to use the same material in almost any term. So the only way in order to increase peformance is to use even more ressources inside a single die and prehaps increasing factory clocks and more memory bus.

Last edited:
But by common sense... its just not true that a GTX 780 is cheaper at all. The prices are pretty high and totaly comparable to the estimated price of a 290X. Note: Estimated, we dont have clear infos so far.

2 weeks ago, the 780 was €650. Now it' €580, which is cheaper...

Edit: sorry, €550
http://www.topachat.com/pages/detai...rique_est_wgfx_pcie_puis_ref_est_in10070925.h
or €570 for one with an aftermarket cooler:
http://www.topachat.com/pages/detai...ue_est_wgfx_pcie_puis_ref_est_in10072194.html

And don't expect the 290x to be less than €650...

Well i mean, it could be true that the 290X is slightly higher priced than a GTX 780. However, in term the few "benchmark leaks" (there is even a official "leak") are true the 290X could be a bit ahead in performance compared to 780 GTX. Thats good enough to charge a small bonus, but im pretty sure the 780 TI will be at comparable price and performance. The 290X isnt truly competing against a GTX 780, its competing against the "soon to be released" 780 TI. I expect the 780 TI to be at least 10% faster (compared to the old 780) and it may even beat the 290X at certain games but probably not all of them (so its more or less equal, thats how Nvidia would enjoy it to be).

Some people may say, "but my GTX 780 is a overclock beast, as high as 1300 Mhz or whatever" and they are unsure that a 290X may clock the same. But all that stuff is simply guessing, in term the architecture is comparable to the old GCN, there is a good chance for very high clocks (pretty much comparable to the 7970). On top of that, overclocking is always "luck of trades" its never foolproof, not even on a 780 GTX. So, not every 780 GTX is a "overclock beast", luck is always a requirement, it doesnt work without. Same will apply to the 290X, but considering the very powerful memory bus, the overclocking potential is probably not any lower than a 780 GTX. So i dont think that there is any disadvantage regarding overclocking but ultimately we simply lack a proof, so there is just guessing... not more than that.

At current situation, AMD and Nvidia arnt trying hard enough in order to beat each others. The true intention how they want it to be is that they simply have comparable performance and comparable price on both sides, thats the way with currently lowest financial losses, it seems. In term they are trying to beat each others to harsh, its not necessarely very economic, thats not in the interest of companys who would like to make bucks. Especially AMD is still in a pretty high debt of about 1 billion $ or something, they cant afford to throw around with expensive R+D all the time and countless new designs*. But even Nvidia isnt having endless juice and they are pretty much in the same boat such as AMD, but they got some stronger financial backup at current time. Needless to say that pool may not last forever, so even Nvidia have to look at the costs.

*However, the "rebranding" and lack of full scaled sound chips implementations is indeed a sign of weakness and isnt looking to good. To be fair, Nvidia was the first "rebrander" considering several cards of the 700 series, and most people was shouting around in tears because of joy (wow, Nvidia is so powerful, wow Nvidia is bringing new cards...). Although AMDs "rebranding" is at a even higher scale and its somewhat going to far. At least the pricing of the rebranded cards is very competitive and lower than most of the comparable offers Nvidia got (at current time). The mainstream is certainly able to get very good priced yet powerful cards (for less than 300 $) and it will be able to increase the "average hardware level" of mainstream gamers a lot, so the devs are able to create more demanding games without the lack of "buyers". So its not all that bad but many of us would have expected more than that.

Last edited:
So, let's specultate a bit: by the time the 290x launches, the 780 should sell around €500. And the 290x for €650. That's 30% more for 10% improvement...

I hope the 290x will sell for like €550, but I don't believe it.

I dont expect it to be higher than 590 EUR in the EU or 700 $ in the US (again, the US price is excluding taxes). EU shops may most likely try to set to price around the 590 EUR range, i believe, because 600 is somewhat the critical spot able to change a customers willpower to buy, so they may try to stay below the 600 EUR mark. Of course thats "standart specs", the "aftermarket specs" may be higher priced (prehaps up to + 50 EUR) but same counts for any of the 780 cards.

Thats just guessing, not much more but im usualy pretty good at guessing because i got a pretty high common sense when it comes to such matters. I rarely was wrong with my guessing (prehaps a little bit but not far off).

Last edited:
most noobs dont care how much faster it is just that it is faster, theres very few people who actually study the benchmarks when you look at the whole of the scope. most will simply look for what is fastest and buy it. they dont care if its by 5% or 50%.

Thats difficult to judge because some game run faster on AMD and some on Nvidia cards. In order to get the best personal gain its critical to investigate the performance related to the software used. The other specs could be easyer to track. A important one could be the cooling performance because when a card is overheating there is no performance at all. For a majority the Price/Performance is important too, a value rarely found on "flagship GPUs".

yea maybe in your fairytale land. really, so many people have no idea what they are buying. i guarantee a majority of people who buy top tier cards just have the money and are like oh this card is top of the line, im buying it. the community of people like us who actually care is probably alot smaller than the wider scope of people purchasing video cards.

it may be important to you but not everyone has the same views as you. almost every post you have made ensures the reader that everyone has the same exact views as you do. really though.

..and how many cards overheat unless you break them?

That's what I mean: loads of people are more neclined to buy nVidia because better drivers, better support, better blah blah BS...

That's why I think it would be a mistake for AMD top sell the 290x more than €50 over the 780 pricing.

Of course, they made two vein draining deals signing with Sony and Microsoft, but it's still not a reason to overprice their high end tech.

That's what I mean: loads of people are more neclined to buy nVidia because better drivers, better support, better blah blah BS...

That's why I think it would be a mistake for AMD top sell the 290x more than €50 over the 780 pricing.

Of course, they made two vein draining deals signing with Sony and Microsoft, but it's still not a reason to overprice their high end tech.

Yes, but what % of people actually think/know about the 'better drivers, better support, etc' outside a % of the small % of people that spend time on enthusiast tech forums/sites? The majority of people that I talk to don't even know what the brand names are, just ask what is best or what is the best bang for the buck at x-point-in-time.

Back