• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Time Crossfire 7950 question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

//:mC.n

Registered
I went crossfire with HIS IceQ 7950 3 GB card. I have a ASUS Crosshair V Formula Z board. I read that it's best to used slot 1, and slot 3 for the cards.
Something doesn't seem right with it. Some games play great, Battlefield 3 is unplayable. At times the second card seems to shut down. thinking it's some sort of power saving mode. Was reading on here and tried downloading GPUZ to look deeper into what is going on.
Setup:
11jnc7o.jpg
Card 1
de781e.gif.jpg
102uxy8.gif.jpg
Card 2
jjbio7.gif.jpg
2wc1tgi.gif.jpg

Something doesn't seem right with the second card. Temps are high just running GPU-Z Any advice/pointers will be greatly appreciated! My system specs have been updated. Thanks in advance.

(Edited)

Just looked in CCC because I notcied the clock was high, so I set them back to default. But the second card seems to run constantly at 100%

1z6cnt1.jpg

11trh21.jpg

Last edited:
An h60 i see.. hows the cooling on your cpu with it?? Well anyways. You could try to do a fresh install of the drivers? There was another guy who had similar problem like yours and I told him to do a clean install of the drivers and it seemed to solve the problem.

I uninstalled all of the drivers before I installed the second card. After install, I reinstalled the drivers. I set all of the settings back to default in CCC. Rebooted and things went back to normal. I think the issue was I didn't have both cards clocked the same. I didn't see the option to switch between cards. DUUUUR!! So I made sure to clock both cards identical. I've been messing around with the settings and benchmarking. Cards seem pretty stable, Core @ 1,100, and Memory clock @ 1,500. Temps peaking at 61C. CCC shows I can set to 1,200 and 1,575.

e03nzt.jpg

Might look into the best overclock settings for the CPU now.

The H60 is alright. FX8350 @ stock 4ghz temps are 27c -31c @ idle 47c @ load. I added another fan to the h60 for push and pull. It suggested to have it pull air into the case, but I have a big tree right outside our apartment window that creates a lot of dust. After one day, I already seen a lot of dust getting into the case, so I have it pulling air out now. Thinking or getting the H100i Hydro for overclocking.

Last edited:
Just because CCC shows 1200 doesn't mean you will make it there. It is akin to thinking your Honda Civic will do 140MPH because your speedometer says so...

In this case, with voltage adjustment, you may be able to reach that clock speed, though personally, I would use the HIS iTurbo app or MSI Afterburner.

If you overclock without disabling ulps the second card can get hung at full load, making games play terrible, generating excess heat, and wasting power. Disable ulps either with afterburner/trixx or Google how to disable it in the registry.

Back