• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Where can I find a remote control to use my PC as a blu-ray player?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarkS

This may be the wrong forum, so please move this if it is.

I want to connect my PC to my TV, not as a full HTPC, but just to watch movies and Netflix. I see little reason to invest in a separate blu-ray player, but I would like to be able to control the play back without having to go to the PC and mess with the controls.

I tried NewEgg, but either what I am looking for doesn't exist or I couldn't figure out the best search terms. I could build my own USB-based IR receiver and write the code to control it, but that is a lot of work if there is a commercial device available.

The keyboard that i use is not that big, roughly the same size at the Galaxy S4 smart phone, maybe a bit longer
But if you don't like it, i'm sure you can find smaller wireless keyboard on ebay or amazon.

There's this (it's rosewill but it's actually cheaper off Amazon than Newegg). You could probably even get a Logitech Harmony and an IR USB dongle.

I think the others are just recommending keyboards with touchpads because trying to use a remote might be kind of clunky for the basic windows navigation needed for opening/closing media players. I haven't tried it though, so I'm not positive.

Last edited:
I was hoping for something that could control play/stop/fast forward/reverse and such from a distance without having to muck around with window navigation.

I was hoping for something that could control play/stop/fast forward/reverse and such from a distance without having to muck around with window navigation.

For that, you may need a wireless gaming keyboard, some gaming keyboard like my Logitech G19s can do that, even control volume too, too bad, it's not wireless

Attachments

• 71lMucX7DYL._SL1500_.jpg
    71lMucX7DYL._SL1500_.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 101
I currently use this: http://mobilemouse.com/ it allows you to control your computer on the network from your phone/tablet. It has all the major function buttons as well as a full keyboard and mouse. It is a lot smaller than a full keyboard and mouse and it works great.

I already linked an actual remote that has all the play/stop/ff/rev etc.

and its the size of a normal TV remote.

8.Size: 12 x 5 x 1cm or 4.72 x 1.97 x 0.39in (L x W x H)

If you do have a smart phone/tablet, there are plenty of apps that let you control playback and the PC in general - I use gmote on my android devices, it has a fairly nice UI where you can add directories to play from (without having to use the mouse) and also stream to the device from the PC.

Otherwise Logitech has a harmony range of remotes which may suit you, I have seen others use the remote with limited success. Or this? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823166095&cm_re=adesso-_-23-166-095-_-Product

My pre-built lenovo computer had a remote controller worked pretty well. I'll try to look into what they used...

Edit: I found it, but seems like they don't make it anymore. It is on ebay, but I can't access auction sites. There have a different controller though for about 25$ looks like its just slightly bigger then a users hand, features a fully qwerty based keyboatd (reminds me of a blackberry), track ball, and media controls.

Last edited:
i use an el cheapo windows media center remote off ebay and a logitech k400
bought this for $20 refurb, works great, has play, pause, ff, rw, capacitive touch pad
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823126264

and for the remote is just some random windows media center remote that was like 10 bucks. just make sure its not one for windows xp media center edition.. i accidentally bought one of those and its clunky as heck.

Back