• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 780's: any hard mods for more vcore?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

magellan

I've come across the 1.212V max vcore limit (at least I think) on my Zotac GTX780. I think it could do more with more vcore, because it's still running pretty cool, even at max vcore, 1200Mhz. Is the max vcore limit a function of the BIOS? Or has the voltage controller been somehow nerfed so it can never provide more vcore than 1.212V?

One more question, how exactly does the boost work? I notice if I set my overclock to 1050Mhz, I end up maxing out at 1200Mhz. The Kepler BIOS editor has a section that references GPU Clock Offset + 13Mhz. Is the boost just an offset applied to whatever base clock I overclock to? Is so, is this offset always the same? Or does it vary?

You seem bound and bet to get higher voltage and power limit. Have you checked here to see if your power chip is on the list.
If so you can use an MSI AB hack that'll open up the limits for you.

You seem bound and bet to get higher voltage and power limit. Have you checked here to see if your power chip is on the list.
If so you can use an MSI AB hack that'll open up the limits for you.

I'll be taking off the heatsink next week so I can install some higher powered fans so I'll make sure to note the type of VRM installed then.

Thanks.

Yes. There is always a way. It will destroy your warranty, may destroy your card, and will nearly certainly lead to degradation if you run it 24/7.

Yes. There is always a way. It will destroy your warranty, may destroy your card, and will nearly certainly lead to degradation if you run it 24/7.

Does modding your BIOS invalidate the warranty?

I'd never consider soldering anything on a modern PCB, because
I'm pitifully lousy at soldering.

I think this Zotac is on reference PCB so soldering is ... well , pretty hard. Check Johan's link. There is no other help for these cards.
You can make simple soldering mods on ASUS DC2 or just get EVGA Classified, MSI Lightning or Galaxy HoF. Almost all other cards are reference without easy mods.
Also if you don't know how to make it right, you can burn your card even with soft mod. Remember that 2D voltages are not the same as 3D and boot voltage is always highest.
These cards are too new to tell how much overvoltage affects card's life. Anything up to 1.3V on good water cooling shouldn't kill a card but of course no one will guarantee that.

Back