• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

apple g5 cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

germanjulian

http://www.apple.com/powermac/design.html

mhhhhhhh dont know if this has been posted before but as you can see here the average pc cause is doing something wrong....

hope the atx design gets a revamp for better case design + airflow :D

nice shame its a mac
designcooling06232003.jpg

Ya, it would be nice to have this but i dotn think its gonna happen. Everyone has to agree to it, and it would take years to come full term... Besides, the processor of the fututre will either be soo hot to negate air coolign or cool enough to run like we have it now.

"hope the atx design gets a revamp for better case design + airflow "

ATX is going to be gone soon. BTX is on the way.

http://geeksonline.org

Scroll down towards the bottom to the article titled "Bye ATX! Hi BTX! - 12-13-2003"

;)

Cheers!
-0cer
:cool:

Wow what a shaming concept.

But then again the price tag pays for high dollar engineers to figure that pudding out.

If we all had multi-million dollar expense acounts and Cadd Laser lathes we could grove something like that out, but as it stands we are a bunch of underfunded mad scientists fumbling with garage left overs- I'd say we do well enough. DOUBLING CPU power and managing 30°~ish temps :-D

Those engineers can keep their money.

I'd say **** on Mac, but it doesn't look like it will needs cooled.

@md0Cer said it already but it deserves repeating. One word (acronym if you want to be specific) BTX. BTX is designed to bring airflow inline so that fewer system fans need to be used and the airflow is more straight. With ATX today the input for air has to follow a curved path, from the bottom front of the case to the top rear, this is highly inefficient and the CPU does not recieve fresh air. Also the graphics card is neglected, its hot exhaust for the most part is just blown around in the case. BTX brings all of these components in line it moves the processor to the front where it can recieve fresh air and use a more passive heatsink, thereby reducing noise. In addition BTX will bring the airflow in line with the graphics card which is becoming another major source of heat. The apple case is similar to the idea of what BTX should be.
xb-70

germanjulian said:
hey btx looks promising

It does until you start to factor in the cost of the components. INTEL is going to push btx with is next big wave of motherboards. That means

-PCI Express video cards. No AGP slots from what is being said
-New BTX power supplies
-DDR2 memory.
-socket T for your cpu.
-New BTX case to hold your new stuff

I don't know about you, but is has been a LONG time since I upgraded EVERY major component in any of my rigs at once. BTX will be a tough pill to swallow during the first 6-9 months.

Have you guys seen the technical schematics for BTX? Sure, its bette than what we got now but nothing like what the Apple has. I think its a really smart idea to thermally seperate the components, and I wish BTX did this. IMHO BTX is just to little difference.

But, the thermally seperated compartments means there is even more sepcs that must be standard which means the mobo companies, vid card companies, INTEL and AMD will all have to cooperate a little more. I don't know about you guys, but I don't see that being a possibility.

SemiCycle said:
It does until you start to factor in the cost of the components. INTEL is going to push btx with is next big wave of motherboards. That means

-PCI Express video cards. No AGP slots from what is being said
-New BTX power supplies
-DDR2 memory.
-socket T for your cpu.
-New BTX case to hold your new stuff

I don't know about you, but is has been a LONG time since I upgraded EVERY major component in any of my rigs at once. BTX will be a tough pill to swallow during the first 6-9 months.

Intel may be pushing for a big technological revamp in 2004, but nearly everyone else is dreading it. No motherboard company or case designer wants to be stuck out in the cold with a design that never took off. BTX, DDR2, PCI-Express are all going to come in nice and slow, and won't be mainstream likely 'till 2005. BTX Form Factor may take even longer.

Most companies don't like to implement planned-obsolescence if they want to keep most of their buyers.

Unlike apple ATX cases use the laws of physics to lessen the need for more fans. The Air intake is on the bottem while exhust is on top (heat rises). The G5 case is a less then ideal design though the picture looks nice but thats typical of apple to make a nice picture but nothing great technically. Forcing the heat to leave sideways isnt the most efficent way, i'd be more impressed if they just took their design and rotated 90degress. But thats just my opnion.

There is a good idea for the next-gen formfactor, vertical cooling. Elevate the case a little and thenl put a nice big fan at the bottom and the top. Take that BTX mobo and turn it 90 degrees. That would be a nice set up.

and isn't the cpu for the btx setup at the front? that would just warm the air coming in and cause all the other components (namely video card) to run hotter.

Apple's idea for the comparmentalized cooling may not be the most efficiant thermally, but it saves space. those g5 towers are pretty amazing when you figure everything that is stuffed into them. they are like, damn quiet too. All of the major components get their own fresh air and you have to admit, those towers just look really nice. compared to our standard atx, everything is the same bs...

I totally want one of these macs. i just wish the apple licencing didnt die. a few years back, apple licenced their technology out to third party developers to create desktops that ran the mac OS. When apple took over production of their own os, they stopped it, mainly because the compeition was making more money than them ^^;; Mac clones were cheaper and in a lot of ways better than apple systems. so, out goes the licencing.

I do a lot of artwork. I have to say, having many different platforms to do it on, my old 603e 300 was still one of the best systems i ever had..... damn shame i sold it :(
PC's are good gaming machines. they are cheap and adequate... but the operating system is kind of crap =\

BTX!.... an interesting idea... personally though, i dont think that its a worthwhile move.... flex atx was the biggest improvment to computer system design since agp was implimented. systems need to be more ergonomic and user friendly. <3 MSI mega PC

its not what you buy its what you build. give anyone here as much money that went into the design of that case and ill bet it would look like a lian li. lol

Funny, BTX looks like a waste of time, money and effort to me.

Apple is once again ahead of their time in the G5. Remember what you're paying for when you get a G5: One or two 64-bit processors plus a smattering of other advanced technologies.

I've been inside a G5 before; they are well designed and the concept of separate thermal zones appears to be effective. The G5 runs very, very quietly and is indeed wicked fast. :)

I say w00t Apple.

I say bring it on. PCI Express and BTX are going to come hand in hand. The form factor will take time to integrate, but it will be for the best. Like most people in here said, it will be late 2004/early 2005 before BTX starts to hit the mainstream. This is going to be a good thing for water-cooling. Having the chipset right next to the processor all inline, will decrease the length of the loop.

I dunno... BTX cases will be a lot thinner, and with only 2 airholes, where will you put the rad? From the pictures I have seen, they are very cramped = good for aircooling = bad for water...

deathBOB said:
I dunno... BTX cases will be a lot thinner, and with only 2 airholes, where will you put the rad? From the pictures I have seen, they are very cramped = good for aircooling = bad for water...
I don't know, I have seen the Micro BTX cases with 90mm fan holes. The previews I have seen say that the cases dimensions will be similar to the mid tower. I'm sure the custom enclosure companies will be happy to accomodate.;)
These look more than big enough...

i microBTXthreequarters.jpg

microBTXprofile.jpg

Back