• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Out with the old in with the 24" fw9012

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sephis

Yes, my new 24 inch, Sony built, HP FW9012 monitor arrived today. :clap: It is in perfect shape, no scratches on the case or screen, just some post-it note residue around the bezel. The guy wrapped the monitor in plastic then sprayed this expanding foam in the box all around it. I don't think fedex could have hurt it if they tried. Below is a comparison pic to my old (temporary) monitor. I'm so happy right now it's hard to describe. BTW, this thing is heavy as hell. If you are in less than great shape or younger than 16 or so, I serioulsy recommend you get help moving one of these things. I had to help the fedex guy get it off the truck and in the house. I can move it by myself allright, but I would be afraid to have to lift it off the floor or some other low spot.

Last edited:
Sephis said:
Yes, my new 24 inch, Sony built, HP FW9012 monitor arrived today. :clap: It is in perfect shape, no scratches on the case or screen, just some post-it note residue around the bezel. The guy wrapped the monitor in plastic then sprayed this expanding foam in the box all around it. I don't think fedex could have hurt it if they tried. Below is a comparison pic to my old (temporary) monitor. I'm so happy right now it's hard to describe. BTW, this thing is heavy as hell. If you are in less than great shape or younger than 16 or so, I serioulsy recommend you get help moving one of these things. I had to help the fedex guy get it off the truck and in the house. I can move it by myself allright, but I would be afraid to have to lift it off the floor or some other low spot.

Congrats :) The FW900 / FW9012 is an amazing monitor especially when you get one in good working order,Ive had mine for 11 months and its been awesome, it put my LCD to shame to the point I ended up getting rid of it.

I bought it off of ebay from southwest computer solutions for 325 with free shipping. It only took like 7 days to get here from out in the desert somewhere. Below is a pic of the foam and crap, the box is twice the size of the monitor. Theres that much more foam in the bottom of the box. The only problem I have with my monitor is that it takes several minutes for the monitor to warm up and the screen to align itself. For the first 10 mins or so after I turn it on, the screen is a little off to the left and some small text is a little blurry. It gets better the longer I leave it on though.

Last edited:
Sephis said:
I bought it off of ebay from southwest computer solutions for 325 with free shipping. It only took like 7 days to get here from out in the desert somewhere. Below is a pic of the foam and crap, the box is twice the size of the monitor. Theres that much more foam in the bottom of the box. The only problem I have with my monitor is that it takes several minutes for the monitor to warm up and the screen to align itself. For the first 10 mins or so after I turn it on, the screen is a little off to the left and some small text is a little blurry. It gets better the longer I leave it on though.

These warm up symptoms are common on every FW900 user Ive talked to especially if your black levels are weak during warm up, mine behaves the same way but after 10+ minutes everything looks great.

MadMan007 said:
JRW - what LCD were you using?

Dell 2001FP

IMG_0658.jpg

That monitor looks even better in black/silver. Mine will be dyed soon. Possibly blue and black or red and black.

Warmup problems don't sound so nice :( All the AG monitors I've had take a little while to come to life but it's easily less than a minute maybe even 30 seconds. Was this common on the FW900 tubes even when they were new?

MadMan007 said:
Warmup problems don't sound so nice :( All the AG monitors I've had take a little while to come to life but it's easily less than a minute maybe even 30 seconds. Was this common on the FW900 tubes even when they were new?

I wouldnt really call it a problem or "defect" with the monitor being it happens with every FW900 user ive talked to, the most common warmup symptoms I hear of are the weak black levels , on mine during warmup the black levels are weak and even have a slight green tint, also the screen is slightly over sized at first (the taskbar is slightly cut off on bottom) but the focus on mine is crisp from the first minute I turn it on. In comparison my 21" Sony G520P CRT only has weak black levels during warmup but it only takes a few minutes to sort itself out.

Im not sure how a brand new FW900 would behave during warmup since they've been out of production since early 2003. All I know is these minor warmup issues are well worth not having to deal with LCD's many negatives.

I fixed my warmup problems. I let the monitor warm for about 2 hours. I used the image restore and proceded to get my screen sized and positioned how I want it. Instead of turning it off, I simply have the screensaver set to display black. It keeps me from having to wait for the monitor to warm up, and it does away with my resizing and screen drift issues.

Sephis said:
I fixed my warmup problems. I let the monitor warm for about 2 hours. I used the image restore and proceded to get my screen sized and positioned how I want it. Instead of turning it off, I simply have the screensaver set to display black. It keeps me from having to wait for the monitor to warm up, and it does away with my resizing and screen drift issues.

Hrm so you even leave it on overnight? ..thats unneeded wear on the CRT & electronics (lifespan) ... I leave mine on during the day (set to screen saver) but turn it off overnight or if im gonna be gone for awhile. ive heard others mention screen drift etc. during warmup but it should find its way back to your original settings if you let it warmup you just have to resist the urge to adjust it while its cold., mine seems to be only affected with the vertical size being overstretched when cold, as shown in the photo below:

The monitor had only been on for a few minutes here,you can see the taskbar is slightly cut off on bottom but it returns to normal within 10min.
fw900_cold.jpg

No, I don't leave it on at night. I have class at 7:30 in the morning, so I turn it on when I wake up. By the time I get back at 8:30 its ready to go. I turn it off before I go to bed though.

mr. roboto said:
Makes me miss my old CRT. I don't have room for it in my dorm though :(
Thats where mine is going sunday. Maybe I can fit it somewhere. I might just replace the TV with it.

Back