• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Google was mapping more than streets...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Google is not at fault here. Idiots running open networks are. Only a complete moron checks their email (which might contain passwords, bank statements with account numbers, etc.) and visits their bank's web site to login with their password on an unencrypted network. If they're stupid enough to do that, they have no right to complain if their connection gets piggybacked.

You don't travel much do you?
I spend probably 15-20 days a month in Hotels, which means unsecured wireless networks, by the plenty, for the most part using HTTPS sites when possible, but there are valid reasons for leaving a WiFi network unsecured, and Valid reasons for being on these networks.

The trust/hope involved is that there is no one trying to capture the wifi data being transmitted.

You don't travel much do you?
I spend probably 15-20 days a month in Hotels, which means unsecured wireless networks, by the plenty, for the most part using HTTPS sites when possible, but there are valid reasons for leaving a WiFi network unsecured, and Valid reasons for being on these networks.

That's a lame (on the hotel's part) excuse. Any hotel can implement WPA2 and leave a note in the rooms with the PSK printed on it. Obviously, somebody could take that PSK and use it from outside the hotel, but it would prevent casual sniffing. They could also use OTP tokens, and just stick a button on the desk in each room that you push to get a single-use PSK. Then, nobody could write down the PSK for use later in sniffing. Any commercial building built in the last five years should be wired with 100Mb - if not 1Gb - ethernet, anyway, in which case you just plug the computer in. Or, if convenience + security is worth $30 to you, get a little access point and stick your own WPA2 on.

Google is not at fault here. Idiots running open networks are. Only a complete moron checks their email (which might contain passwords, bank statements with account numbers, etc.) and visits their bank's web site to login with their password on an unencrypted network. If they're stupid enough to do that, they have no right to complain if their connection gets piggybacked.

Checks location...

Yup...

SO... If you leave home one day and accidentally leave your front door unlocked... then you have no right to complain if somebody waltzes in, kills your entire family, and steals everything you own?

The police should just give a prepared statement at that point hunh?

"Since the mass theft/multiple homicide was *not* beyond your control, the MississiPolice will not launch an investigation."

Hell... let's say you left your front door open on PURPOSE. Maybe YOU should be prosecuted as an accomplice hunh?

There are thousands of reasons a wi-fi network might be left unencrypted. Think of all the networks at all those cafes. Or a building that offers free wi-fi to tenants. Or a hotel.

Or a home where someone just doesn't know any better.

This hardline BS just kills me... Because I'm as sure as I can be that the SECOND something bad happens to a hardliner... then it's suddenly the other guy's fault.

"This madness/this sadness/it's everyone's own/so don't expect no compassion unless you're giving some."

How was google caught doing this?

Nevermind....

I'm pretty sure that Google Chrome, and OS calls home on what websites you visit...

SO... If you leave home one day and accidentally leave your front door unlocked... then you have no right to complain if somebody waltzes in, kills your entire family, and steals everything you own?

1. I said left unlocked and open.
2. If your family is still there, and they let somebody come inside, murder them, and steal everything, then they failed miserably at life by not knowing a three-digit emergency phone number (911).
3. If you're the only person capable of keeping your dumb doesn't-know-911 family alive, then why are you leaving home in the first place, let alone leaving the door unlocked?

There are thousands of reasons a wi-fi network might be left unencrypted. Think of all the networks at all those cafes. Or a building that offers free wi-fi to tenants. Or a hotel.

Open coffee-shop wireless makes sense. Transmitting sensitive information in clear-text on such a network is shooting yourself in the foot with a rocket launcher, so you can't complain about them mapping those. See my previous post about hotels. A hotel catering to business travelers better have some kind of encryption implemented; if they don't, they're not doing their job very well. If a business is not willing to spend the money to implement a secure VPN for their employees, then data security is obviously not important to them, and they're asking for people to steal their stuff.

Or a home where someone just doesn't know any better.

That's a failure in education. Any ISP handing out wireless routers should know damn well not to leave it unencrypted by default. Router manufacturers have been including "easy" automatic encryption buttons for years. For either one to include a 128MB USB stick with auto-setup of Windows WPA key wouldn't be much effort.

The idea that a company should be held responsible for the stupidity of random idiots disgusts me. Did people sue the local cement company for providing sidewalks up to their front doors after they got burglarized, before they finally got the idea of locking their doors when they left the house through their skulls?

1. I said left unlocked and open.
2. If your family is still there, and they let somebody come inside, murder them, and steal everything, then they failed miserably at life by not knowing a three-digit emergency phone number (911).
3. If you're the only person capable of keeping your dumb doesn't-know-911 family alive, then why are you leaving home in the first place, let alone leaving the door unlocked?

Open coffee-shop wireless makes sense. Transmitting sensitive information in clear-text on such a network is shooting yourself in the foot with a rocket launcher, so you can't complain about them mapping those. See my previous post about hotels. A hotel catering to business travelers better have some kind of encryption implemented; if they don't, they're not doing their job very well. If a business is not willing to spend the money to implement a secure VPN for their employees, then data security is obviously not important to them, and they're asking for people to steal their stuff.

That's a failure in education. Any ISP handing out wireless routers should know damn well not to leave it unencrypted by default. Router manufacturers have been including "easy" automatic encryption buttons for years. For either one to include a 128MB USB stick with auto-setup of Windows WPA key wouldn't be much effort.

The idea that a company should be held responsible for the stupidity of random idiots disgusts me. Did people sue the local cement company for providing sidewalks up to their front doors after they got burglarized, before they finally got the idea of locking their doors when they left the house through their skulls?

Oh WHERE to begin...

It's just not possible. The whole thing is wrong. I'd have to start backwards, and upside down, and work my way to the middle.

Do we start with the family being stupid for not dialing 911 when a bunch of hoodlums with guns drawn strolled through the front door? Or all the people that just buy an internet connection, plug it in, have no idea the router it comes with is even wi-fi at all... and don't encrypt it?

Well thank goodness they have LAWS instead of a bunch of hardasses sitting in rocking chairs going "He got what he had coming to him..."

People should be more worried about the hackers targetting public utility control systems, credit card databases, etc., rather than blowing bubbles about Google mapping semi-public (whether intentionally or not) wifi networks.

People should be more worried about the hackers targetting public utility control systems, credit card databases, etc., rather than blowing bubbles about Google mapping semi-public (whether intentionally or not) wifi networks.

Unh-hunh... And when the United States government illegally spies on United States citizens... we shouldn't bat an eyelash at that either?

Here's hoping none of your "protected" data winds up being used against you in a court of law or on a reality TV show...

Your paranoia is somewhat off topic. Google is not the United States government, and Google was doing nothing malicious.

Naughty Google, then again they don't need to collect anything they get it already when you use their site a cookie is stored.

Back