• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Worth upgrading a 4870?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
At your 1280x1024 resolution, it won't make a difference which you get of the list.
This is why I recommend the 750Ti for you, since it uses the least power by a vast margin.

I see. I also plan on getting a 22-23 IPS monitor soon enough though. So i want it as future proof as possible.

So the list has quite a few cards which are 150 or under.

R9 265 - 270
750Ti

4 cards to choose from >.>

All four of those cards are going to perform similarly at 1080p and under.

If you're planning to game above 1080p you're going to want to run a better GPU.

That's my point exactly, since they perform so close (especially when compared to your current GPU) why get a card that uses 2-3X more power?

I'm not sure which companies have the better warranty in your country, but the Palit should be fine :)

When you linked the list of 750tis earlier, that's the one I picked as well, OP :)

I think it's the best choice for your needs.

Now upgrade that monitor! ;)

The 750 Ti goes great. My evga 750 Ti is currently running 1440p. Handles it well enough. Anything intensive doesn't run past medium. But anything source engine is fine really. Aion should be fine. Other games Etc. Super quiet and super low power usage.

That said the 270 is still a faster card.

That said the 270 is still a faster card.

But is it fast enough to be worth the extra money and extra 100W (3X power draw, as well as extra heat) over the 750Ti?
Not to me, but that's something the OP has to decide.

3x? I'd argue 2x. Not 3 :p. The 270 pulls about 110? Ish? 750 Ti about 50-55. (average power draws, taken from techpowerup reviews).

Either way I'm not saying it's the 'better' card. But oc both and you'll find the 270 to pull away. But again I'm very happy with my 750 Ti that actually replaced a 670 purely because I wanted it quieter, and my Silverstone sfx 450 was ramping up its fan speed with the 670 in Lol.

3x? I'd argue 2x. Not 3 :p. The 270 pulls about 110? Ish? 750 Ti about 50-55. (average power draws, taken from techpowerup reviews).

Either way I'm not saying it's the 'better' card. But oc both and you'll find the 270 to pull away. But again I'm very happy with my 750 Ti that actually replaced a 670 purely because I wanted it quieter, and my Silverstone sfx 450 was ramping up its fan speed with the 670 in Lol.

270 has a 150W TDP.
So yeah, triple.

The 750Ti doesn't pull its full TDP either.

The tdp isn't necessarily a full representation of realistic power draw though. As you've just mentioned with the 750 Ti. Unless techpowerup are full of it and their numbers are completely wrong. Tdp is a good general guide to follow, but in realistic terms is often not quite accurate to actual power draw.

Anyways. Going off on a minor tangent here... Up to the OP either way. So doesn't really matter.

The tdp isn't necessarily a full representation of realistic power draw though. As you've just mentioned with the 750 Ti. Unless techpowerup are full of it and their numbers are completely wrong. Tdp is a good general guide to follow, but in realistic terms is often not quite accurate to actual power draw.

Anyways. Going off on a minor tangent here... Up to the OP either way. So doesn't really matter.

Keep in mind that TPU's power draw numbers are for the full system, not just the GPU.
It'll tell you the difference between the two identical systems with only the GPU changing, but TDP is still king for comparing individual component draw.

Its a semi-relevant tangent, but I believe the OP mentioned the lower power draw was very good for him/her because of the power costs in their area.

Actually I use tpu specifically because the power draw Is of the cards only. Not the system. If it was the entire system I'd be surprised considering my system pulls 130 odd w with an i7 and 750 Ti via a power meter. But the 750 Ti pulls about 50 on its own, as listed on tpu.

Ya I suppose. Though surely even with bad costs it wouldn't be too much more than a few bucks a year between the two? Not sure Lol.

Actually I use tpu specifically because the power draw Is of the cards only. Not the system. If it was the entire system I'd be surprised considering my system pulls 130 odd w with an i7 and 750 Ti via a power meter. But the 750 Ti pulls about 50 on its own, as listed on tpu.

Ya I suppose. Though surely even with bad costs it wouldn't be too much more than a few bucks a year between the two? Not sure Lol.

My apologies there, something must have changed since I used their reviews.

Still there is one huge inaccuracy in their method of using a multimeter off of the PCIe cable from the PSU.
The PCIe slot itself will supply up to 75W to a GPU, and that is very difficult to account for with this method.

My apologies there, something must have changed since I used their reviews.

Still there is one huge inaccuracy in their method of using a multimeter off of the PCIe cable from the PSU.
The PCIe slot itself will supply up to 75W to a GPU, and that is very difficult to account for with this method.

True enough. :). Though makes me then wonder how they get the power draw for cards that don't use external power...? Maybe they have a connection between the pcie slot and the card like a riser that also checks power draw? It's not specified. Odd.

True enough. :). Though makes me then wonder how they get the power draw for cards that don't use external power...? Maybe they have a connection between the pcie slot and the card like a riser that also checks power draw? It's not specified. Odd.

That's my issue with it, there's a lot that isn't specified.

Makes me wonder as well.

I think our tangent has brought good information to light, but has run its course.
I enjoyed it though, intelligent exchanges like that feel nice :cool:

Agreed. Haha.

OP. Basically this.

750 Ti for quiet, low power performance that should do your games fairly well. Or a slightly beefier, warmer and larger power draw card for a bit more, the 270.

I, personally, would choose the 750 Ti just because they're nifty little cards Haha. That's the only reason :p

Got the 750ti, it's perfect! Thank you guys!

I see significant fps increase..

Just a note, their method does state they get power draw from the slot as well... One of the tabs on the PCIe peg is for 12v. Not sure which one without, but a pinout diagram will show ya. :)

EDIT: I would imagine pins 2/3 are what does it... I would GUESS using one of those would be fine?

Last edited:
Back