• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Continuous long beeps on A7N-266-VM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slowmo

The board is powering up but I get continuous long beeps after a few seconds. The book says it isn't recognizing the RAM. I've tried 2 seperate sticks of DDR RAM and still nothing. HELP!!

Tried every combo of jumber setting too. What sound does a board usually give if it doesn't find the monitor? I have a brand new one and want to test to see if that's it, but I hate to start moving them around.

The rev. 1.00 manual is supplied with rev. 1.03 A7N266-VM's. The position of the BSEL0 and BSEL1 jumpers are printed correctly in the manual. EXCEPT for the fact that the manual's BSEL0 and BSEL1 illustrations have the numbers printed bassackwards.

When these jumpers are set wrong, the board won't boot at all. Left to right, the pins are: 1, 2, 3. NOT 3,2,1.
But-- my own jumpers are set as the Dram and CPU are, in the picture that shows how the jumpers go in the: DRAM @133 Mhz and CPU @100 Mhz setting. And I have a 100 Mhz CPU and 133 Mhz RAM. It's just that the manual is messed up!

The "1 long-followed by 3 short BIOS beeps signifies "no Vidcard present. Long beeps indicate no RAM. Have you tried known good DDR in the board? Is RAM set in BIOS to "by SPD"? Does the DDR DRAM have the little extra chip on one end of the DIMM that is the SPD chip? If it has no SPD chip, I suggest setting the RAM very conservatively. This mobo cuts me no slack with the RAM running at 133 Mhz. It's "By SPD," or no boot. And it's good Crucial PC-2100.

For some reason, many Socket A mainboards are very touchy about the AGP Vidcard. Be sure that the lock on the slot is pulled out of the way to seat the card, and make sure it is in the locked position after seating the card carefully.

I have Crucial 256/ PC 2700 266. I have two sticks and have tried them both. I will be using the onboard video, so I shouldn't have a problem with vidcard. Also I haven't gotten to the bios yet. That would be a victory. I've tried all the combo's of jumpers there. There are some other jumpers which don't appear in the manual. They are between the PCI slots and the back of the case. Do you know what these are for?

Thanks for posting what brand and type of DDR you have. If the RAM works fine on a different mainboard it can't be the problem. If the CPU is known to be good, it's not the problem. As this mobo has a built-in GF2 MX, I believe that the board will boot to it, by default.

Is the heat sink's fan plugged into the board's one and only 3-Pin fan riser? If the fan draws more than 2.10 Watts, is it plugged into the main power "daisy chain?" If the HS's fan draws too much power for the 3-Pin fan riser and is plugged into the Molex chain, is a special adapter that uses only the 3-Pin fan riser's(and the fan's yellow or blue Tach wire, of course) Tach connector being used?

I haven't read of DOA A7N266-VM mobo's. Trying all possible combinations of the BSEL0 and BSEL1 jumpers has done the trick for the folks that posted about the motherboard on OCer's. Your mainboard could be a lemon, of course. Unhappy face.

If your power supply is AMD approved for your CPU, this leaves only one course of action--that I can think of atm. You might try removing the mainboard from the case, and running it on a non-conductive surface, like a piece of wood, or even cardboard. Wood that's treated to make it fire resistant is no good, btw.

It's possible that the underside of the mainboard is touching the case. If so, this will prevent booting!

Me and a couple other people with this board have had problems getting to to start up on the first try. My daily start routine goes as follows...

1) Power button on
2) Holding Power button down for 7 seconds
3) Flipping the power switch on the PSU to off, then on again after 3 seconds
4) Power Button on
5) Pressing reset 3 times
6) Holding Power button down for 7 seconds
7)Quickly Pressing Power on again
8) Holding Power button down for 7 seconds
9)Quickly Pressing Power on again
10) System starts normally, I get frustrated and wish I had bought an MSI KT3 Ultra instead

Captain Slug said:
Me and a couple other people with this board have had problems getting to to start up on the first try. My daily start routine goes as follows...

1) Power button on
2) Holding Power button down for 7 seconds
3) Flipping the power switch on the PSU to off, then on again after 3 seconds
4) Power Button on
5) Pressing reset 3 times
6) Holding Power button down for 7 seconds
7)Quickly Pressing Power on again
8) Holding Power button down for 7 seconds
9)Quickly Pressing Power on again
10) System starts normally, I get frustrated and wish I had bought an MSI KT3 Ultra instead

Is your power supply strong enough? Try flashing the BIOS and if that doesn't work consider RMAing it. Asus is pretty good about RMAs.

I"ll get new RAM in today for this board. I had ECC RAM, and I don't think it'll work with it. If I have to go through all of that, I'll donate the motherboard to science.

Nagorak said:
Is your power supply strong enough? Try flashing the BIOS and if that doesn't work consider RMAing it. Asus is pretty good about RMAs.

I have a brand new Black Anodized 450W Sparkle so that couldn't be the problem.
Edit:I just flashed the BIOS and it fixed my boot-up problem

Why why WHY did they remove the JEN jumper? Arrrrrrrg :mad:

Last edited:
I finally got it to work. The RAM had to be non ECC, which is what the invoice said the original ram was, but I think it actually was ECC. I ordered some nice new crucial 2100 non ECC, popped it in and voila.

Thanks for all of your suggestions and help.

Back