• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

incorrect reporting thermal sensor on 8K3A+ ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
SpoonMaN said:
well all i know is that your heatsink is mounted wrong man
i had a swiftech MCX462 on my XP and my temps were way to high
i came to find out it was mounted all wrong
and it droped down more then 15C
now i have a AX7 and it droped by another 5C and even with my cpu being OC'ed by 350Mhz i still dont even come close to 50C under 100% load and playing Tribes for hours

Just out of curiosity what board are you running? Because if it is not one that can read the internal temp then your temps are meaningless in this thread. Secondly there are so many factors that go into your CPU temps that comparing them is pointless anyways.

The Epox 8K3A reads the internal diode inside the chip and this reading can be as much as 15 degrees celsius higher than you are use to seeing from insocket probes. If you go to AOA and do a search for Epox techs posts you will see that he said he was running in the low 60's full Load and was not worried about it. If you have a stable system then I would not worry too much especially after you have double checked all of the common causes to high temps like the mounting of the heatsink, thermal compound, etc... The default reading when reading an XP chip is the internal diode I do not even know of a way to get the insocket thermistor to give a reading when an XP chip is in the board. there can always be inconsistancies when it comes to temperature monitoring especially if it is not under the strictest controls. My advice is to use your temp readings as a guide for you to know when things are out of wack or something is broken. (like your heatsink fan). Now I do believe the temps are a little high. So I want you to double check the orientation of the lip of the heatsink and the lip of the socket are on the same side. Second I want you to make sure the fans are blowing on the heatsink and not away from it. And if both of those are installed correct then I want you to take off the heatsink and clean it and reapply the thermal compound and the heatsink. Sometimes just reseating a heatsink can fix high temps. Good Luck:D

Back