• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Medusa 5.1 Headphones

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vaio

I was just thinking about ordering a pair of these, and although searching gave me a few posts on them (mostly people saying they loved or hated them), I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about them. They sounds pretty nice from what I have read, but I would prefer to hear from people who have used them (especially if you have used the newer Home Edition).

I know someone might say that I should go for a nice pair of regular headphones instead, but I really would rather get a good 5.1 headset, due to space preventing me from getting 5.1 speakers.

Thanks,
Vaio

P.S. Here's a link for those who are unfamiliar with this headset.

I too, have been researching these phones for the past 3 months. Sucks they just raised their prices and discontinued the Classic Edition. It is between these and the Sennheiser HD555s.

I would also love to hear some real world reviews, I am mostly interested in ingame performance.

I like how its called a 5.1 headset and then when you read the stats its actually 6.2. But i geuss thats because its kind of hard to put only 1 sub and 1 center speaker in a pair of headphones. and For the price, I would think it would have a slightly better frequency range.

get the sennheisers. i'm wearing a pair of HD555's as i write this, think of it this way: who are you going to trust, a company that's been making headphones probably longer than you've been alive or some company with a gimmick?

your call, but i'd say get grados or senns.

If I were to not get the Medusa headset, I would still be getting a headset of some type. Regular headphones with a seperate mic is an option I won't go for. I prefer to have the mic hanging off the side of the headphones.

Could you recommend a good headset from a good company, so I can see some other quality options?

Thanks,
Vaio

I had breifly considered the Sennheiser 160 headset, but opted for destop mic paired with better phones. Check those out. I think they try to represent a spatial soundstage also.

I went from Klipsch 4.1's to Logitech z-680's to sennheiser pc 150 headset shortly after I tried my friends hd-280's and returned my pc 150's and have delt with a logitech desktop mic that is positioned under my monitor pointing at an angle towards my chin at the center of my keyboard, I have no regrets what so ever. I am now using sennheiser hd-580's with a pa2v2 headphone amp which is AMAZING I really don't see why you would want something hanging from your headphones other than the cords :p I mean I'm not saying your wrong or anything I just question it.

Have you tried a desktop mic they are a PITA to set up but once they are set up it's a superior combo as far as YOUR ears are concerned.

For a few years I used a plantronics behind the head mic (went around the neck) which sounded great as it should have for 79.99 but I haven't seen them for sale and It just irratated me to much so I opted for a desktop mic.

I've had no complaints on vent since I got rid of my tornados.

Well, I thought about it a bunch today, and Amazon made up my mind for me. They had the Sennheiser HD580s on sale, so I ordered a pair :D Now I'm looking for a small amp for a good price (under $50 if possible). I'm gonna make another thread about that in a minute.

I figured, after thinking about what you guys have been saying, that if I go for the seperate headphones, and learn to live with a desk mic, I could use them for other devices. The Medusa headset would be PC only.

I highly recommend the PA2V2 it's hand made by 1 man who is really helpful and knowledgable he was an electrical engineering student when started making them a while back so he does know his stuff...
He will repair/replace it free of charge for the remainder of HIS life. (which I thought was better than a "lifetime warranty).

Although from what I've seen you will only be able to get this on ebay or through him personally.

http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplifiers.html

But snoop around some fidelity junkie forums and you'll see this and another hand made (I forget the name but it's usually in altoid tins) as the best budget amp.

I almost forgot congratulations on your headphones, hopefully you'll enjoy them as much as I enjoy mine :)

Thanks :D I was just looking around Head-fi.org, and I saw people recommending building a CMOY amp in an altoids tin (which would go great with my altoid tin Cretive Zen Micro case), or buying the PA2V2. I saw that you can order the PA2V2 from the guy who builds them for $60 shipped, so as soon as I figure out my financial situation for next semester, I am probably gonna order one from him :)

I have a pall with medusa he sayes there awsome, Ive alwayes wanted to get some.

thoes senns lookin real nice too tho.

Back