• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Aero Disable (memory)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mekks

My windows 7 ultimate machine has been turning aero off due to lack of memory while im playing games (swg). I have plenty of ram to spare and i'm not really sure why its getting turned off randomly.

Is there a way to give aero more ram?

Hmm, let me get this straight: Aero disables itself when you start a game? Does it give you an error stating: Low memory or similar? Does it enable itself after you stop gaming?

My setup does that with Fear2/L4D2 only, which doesn't bother me because after I stop gaming it enables itself back on automatically and I have the same amount of ram as you (6gb total [2gb x3]).

Unsure if you can asign more ram to Aero.

Mine does that sometimes with a few games / benchmarks. It says something about aero not being compatible with the display settings or something. Not that it bothers me while playing and it turns back on when I close the game.

Is it a 3D game you are playing?? If so that is normal. The game takes control of your video card for 3D acceleration (which means windows can't use it) and then when you close the game it gives control of the video card back to windows.

Is it a 3D game you are playing?? If so that is normal. The game takes control of your video card for 3D acceleration (which means windows can't use it) and then when you close the game it gives control of the video card back to windows.
This isn't the case with all games. I actually don't have one that switches, windowed or full screen. I know that Livestream bombs if I have Aero enabled, though.

I have deja vu. I swear I just answered a thread like this.....

anyway, mine disables for benchmarking (specifically 3dmkar) but not any of my games. 4GB of ram.

It only sometimes goes back to basic when I run 2x copy's of the game. I will get a error that aero is taking to much memory and asks me if I would like to revert to basic. No matter if I tell it not to... It will switch to basic on its own after awhile.

After I close the game/s It stays basic. It's not really a big deal... Just annoying.

Figured there might be a tweak to give it more memory? idk.

Thanks for the reply's :p

This is a game/program thing or certain programs pre-vista/win7 days that didn't account this function into the games code. There was some basic 2D programs that would disable Aero as well so its not only 3D Related.

Back