• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I buy micron d9 ddr2 memory now or wait?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BossBorot

I plan on getting my conroe system when e4300 comes out in the end of jan or begining of feb depending on how fast they get out. However I currently have a system that I can run ddr2 on to test if the sticks work so if I buy them now they wont just be sitting possibly doa in the box. Edit: also I want 2x 1 gb sticks.

I was wondering what would happen to stocks of mircon memory and if the price would go up or down it this time. I have noticed that the cheaper sets are now gone and use other IC most noteably the GEIL Ultra DDR800 Cas4 and the BUFFALO Firestix DDR800 Cas5 dont use D9 any more. Do you think that this trend will continue enough to justify buying ram that I wont take advantage of for awhile or should I just wait for prices to possibly* fall on sets like the Crucial Ballistix?

*I dont fully know how the prices on the cheapest d9 sticks have changed recently besides the cheapest sticks not being d9 anymore so I dont know if the prices have been rising for falling lately.

Also I was wondering if the ddr2 667 Crucial Ballistix sticks are d9 as well.

Also with the e4300 (multi of 9) should I just not bother with d9 and save some cash as I wont need to hit higher fsb? I plan on watercooling the system or at the very least using high end air.

All I know is the price of good ram in the last year has all but gone up, And with Vista coming out around the same time as your looking to get set up, I wouldnt bet on the price's coming down.

If it was me I'd buy now

hmm hard decision I'll prob just wait because I have an itch to buy a big tv. Thanks for the input

Micron D9 isn't nessary for any CPU that has more then a 7, 8 (and 8 is not even all that reialistic in the need department) mulitplier.

Without reading the link above.. after the initial serge in ram buying ramping up to the retail release of Vista (once people build there machines and actually have a more reailistic idea of what they will need) I don't see why the cost of ram will not go down not too long after the retail release of Vista.

stags said:
These four models are the cheapest DDR2-800 with D9 ICs currently.

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16820220144
are you sure those are still d9's?

oh, these are still d9's....got em in the mail today :O

353451444_1849162531.jpg

Last edited:
He's in canada.. NCIX

and he is running a E6300!!!! he needs D9's

E4300 guys, uhh.. you watied for that CPU so you wouldn't need D9's.

@PhobMX

Hey thanks for the info. Do you have a link to this review? I get this stuff from a guy who keeps a list on XtremeSystems, he would probably want to know for an update.

The guys at XS already ran into the super tallents that are not D9 about 3-4weeks ago.

Back