• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Moving To INTEL - New Build Help!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

I have now decided to move over to INTEL on the fact performance wise it's just what I need for gaming and video encoding I've been with AMD for over 12 years from my 2500 Barton XP to my AMD P-II 945. Its always done what I need but I think it maybe worth moving over now, I was planning on buying a AM3+ board and DDR3 RAM and using the current 945, 500GB HDD and HD5770 1GB card I have left over until I get the money for a new HD7xxx card a SSD for the main Op and wait to see if the new AMD Piledriver chips are worth it.

A new AM3+ board would only cost £89 and 8GB DDR3 kit £55 but my price budget is about £400 for an INTEL system, so here's where the pros on here come into play. My girlfriend likes to play The Sims 3 and I plan on playing when it comes out Diablo 3 on a LG 32" HDTV so all I need is a new board, RAM CPU for now I reckon a HD5770 card and my Corsair 550W PSU should be fine until I can save for a higher end G.Card.

Well, there are several Ivy bridge discussions at the moment, maybe you can entertain the idea of the new CPU platform. I wouldn't move from Sandy to Ivy, but if you are moving from AMD, you might as well go for the new generation. The 3570k/3770k processor should be available next week I gather, and Z77 boards are already available. Another thing is that Sandy bridge might end up with a price cut in the following weeks, so you could jump on that too.

For $400, you can get a non-ht quad core (2500k/3570k) with a decent motherboard for OC, but if you don't plan on OC'ing, you can probably afford a quad core + HT (2600k/3770k) and a cheap motherboard.. look for discounts.

You should be fine with a gpu upgrade alone, and save up till Ivy bridge launch. That way you can see if Ivy's worth it, or perhaps score a cheap used 2500k and a z68 board :D -along with the ram kit-
If you get a decent single gpu and overclock your cpu to 4ghz you'd be fine for some time.

Right here are the parts I am buying

INTEL I7 2600K
HIS HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card
Gigabyte H77-D3H DDR3 Board
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHZ DDR3

Now I want to use this case for it http://www.ebuyer.com/136491-galaxy-black-mid-tower-case-with-blue-bubble-light-led-strip-cas-408

Its off my old one it has a side fan and rear 120mm extractor fan I am also wondering if the Corsair 550w PSU will be fine to power everything up I dont plan on OCing now just want a nice PC to do what I want and buy a few more parts like SSD later on

That motherboard doesn't support overclocking, so if you plan on that, I would pick a different board, or get the non k version..

Right here are the parts I am buying

INTEL I7 2600K
HIS HD 7850 2GB GDDR5 PCI-E Card
Gigabyte H77-D3H DDR3 Board
Corsair Vengeance 8GB 1600MHZ DDR3

Now I want to use this case for it http://www.ebuyer.com/136491-galaxy-black-mid-tower-case-with-blue-bubble-light-led-strip-cas-408

Its off my old one it has a side fan and rear 120mm extractor fan I am also wondering if the Corsair 550w PSU will be fine to power everything up I dont plan on OCing now just want a nice PC to do what I want and buy a few more parts like SSD later on

Second the mobo part. You should be looking at a z68 or z77 board...even an Asus p8p67 would suffice.
Something like this or this.

That is the case you have atm or what?

A 500w psu is fine, one of these should do fine f.ex. the Corsair tx 550m or the cx500 models are fine choices.

Regarding the gpu, I'd urge you to consider buying the 7870 as it's in a different league than the 7850, and if you overclock it gives the 7950 a good run for its money. Up to you in the end, and depends mostly on the size/resolution of the monitor you'll be using.

Good luck with your build!

Understood, however something to think about. Spending the small amount more now may save you alot in the future. Cheap Z68 boards are out there. It's better to have it and not need it, than not have it and need it. But it is up to you.

Understood, however something to think about. Spending the small amount more now may save you alot in the future. Cheap Z68 boards are out there. It's better to have it and not need it, than not have it and need it. But it is up to you.

My limit was only £450 I just only managed to get the above because the 2600k was dropped from £250 to £210 and the memory card and board was also cheaper than what I originally planned I just sold a HD5770 1GB from my old AMD 945 rig that I split into pieces got £50 for that so that went towards the 7850.

My 945 is now up for sale and thats too is going towards it but wouldnt of been able to buy anything else.

Understood. I do the same sometimes with my builds. I will sell off all my old stuff to buy new. Glad it is working out for you!

Nope, it's not limited actually!
You can oc it by changing multipliers...Check the xmp profiles in the bios.

Its alright Ivan I called up and changed the board to the Z68 one linked above and changed the RAM to some Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB kit, it'll all come next week as G.Card is on pre-order

Hey guys check out my ultimate Intel setup here on Overclockers forum.

Thread link >> http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705747

Please reply to my post guys. Its the best build available at the price right now. And , more importantly I will help customize the build acccording to your needs, just leave a reply in my thread above and I will check back on you in half an hour or a minute at the latest.

Thanks.

Well finally my rig below is complete and just wow with the SSD installed its amazing I have OS and programs installed on that with 99GB spare off it and music photos and games on my 500GB HDD. I just made a back-up off the SSD to my 500GB via EasyUS Todo Back-up Free 4.0 and it copied 19GB in 1 min flat, seriously the best investment I've done this year.

I just need a bigger case cause I haven't got the H80 installed yet the case is too small and I can fit the 2 fans and radiator to the back as pipes aint bendy enough. I was looking into a case with a fan mount at the top and making that a extractor style solution so it can pull the warm air out or would that raise temps?? set-up guide says make sure fans are pulling air in??

But apart from that I love this dam machine :bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday::bday:

I'd suggest getting a push-pull setup with the fans pulling air in the case, through the rad.
Also, if you can do a wind tunnel type setup it'll be best.
Something like the Fractal Design Arc Midi would be great, has two top intake spots where you can happily fit the H80, and dust filters which come in handy.
Front to back, top to bottom intakes would work good, exhausting air at the back.

Back