• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best Z77 for OC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diaz

What is the general consensus as to which Z77 motherboard has the best overclock potential?

//or

Which board have you used or seen in reviews which are good candidates for a good OC?

What i have been seeing with IVYBRIDGE cpus with the temps they are running at they will overclock the same on almost any respectable MB maker.Unless you are going to put a sandybridge 2500K or 26/700K in a z 77 motherboard.

I have read a lot of reviews.So far some Z77 motherboards are overclocking Sandy Bridge very good,even better then the Z67 chipsets.As long as you have A good Custom heatsink/airflow.I like Gigabyte MBs Along with ASUS,MSI and ASrock.
ASrock motherboards are a good bit cheaper then ASUS,GIGABYTE,MSI but seem to be fine boards with lots of extra features.They seem like they are very enthusiastic replacement for the now dead but damn good DFI lanparty motherboards.

As of now unless Ivy bridge 3770 and 3570k cpus are not great overclockers even with top 5 air cooling even a H100 most are throttling around 4.9-5 ghz @ 105c thats throttle temp from what i have heard.Almost any 2600k will hit 5ghz + and not throttle with top 5 air cooling.SB also runs alot cooler at stock speeds,OCs even bigger difference.If you have say a Promethia Mach2 phase subzero cooler IVY will hit 6ghz+:blah: they are 24/7 capable but that scares me.:blah:

IVYs are Great cpus that are very warm stock but kinda hot OCed at a efficient level and have tons of improvements.I am scared about longevity of the new 22nm process while running OCed at much higher temps.But who knows they might be ok,but with all the talk on how hot they run.I can't not take note.:blah:

Start reading some articles :comp: and find some selections with all the features you need.You might want to build a Sandy bridge Z77 or Z68.
Or if you are just a mild Overclocker i would go with IVY and all its improvements.PCI-E3.0 etc. :blah:
Gluck:thup:

I'm running a Maximus V

4700.png

My Biostar XE4 could only muster 4.5Ghz with this chip without stability issues.

Don you might want to lower your voltage to under 1.3v under 1.250 would be even better.You might want to look around at some reviews to see the max you can get out of stock voltage,or a minimal bump.
1.3v 24/7 i think will degrade IVY much faster then sandy does with 1.4v
I have seen some good 4.4ocs on stock voltage,unless you bottlenecked or benchmarking.
I had good luck with my p-67 ud4-b3 with a tiny v bump upped the wattage limit and amps.Then set all 4 cores turbo to what i wanted under load and left everything else on auto and ended up with 4.5 on my 2600k.
Enjoy your new toy and delid that thing.use a dremel cutter to open the area that exposes the die only....then put the lid back on with the die area cut out so the chip will be held into the MB.
Then measure the thickness of the cutout piece on the ihs.Then find a piece of copper a tiny bit thicker then the cutout piece and carefully solder it to a waterblock or the tightly heatpipe packed hyper 212 evo so we can get some naked temps:)

there are results from Andre Yang and his 6.96 oc on a maximus5gene and also seen some results from Nick Shih with a 6.9 oc on asrock extreme6

Don you might want to lower your voltage to under 1.3v under 1.250 would be even better.You might want to look around at some reviews to see the max you can get out of stock voltage,or a minimal bump.
1.3v 24/7 i think will degrade IVY much faster then sandy does with 1.4v
I have seen some good 4.4ocs on stock voltage,unless you bottlenecked or benchmarking.
I had good luck with my p-67 ud4-b3 with a tiny v bump upped the wattage limit and amps.Then set all 4 cores turbo to what i wanted under load and left everything else on auto and ended up with 4.5 on my 2600k.
Enjoy your new toy and delid that thing.use a dremel cutter to open the area that exposes the die only....then put the lid back on with the die area cut out so the chip will be held into the MB.
Then measure the thickness of the cutout piece on the ihs.Then find a piece of copper a tiny bit thicker then the cutout piece and carefully solder it to a waterblock or the tightly heatpipe packed hyper 212 evo so we can get some naked temps:)

My chip is a crappy overclocker without a huge voltage bump. I don't have an issue pushing over 1.35v through it. I'm buying a 3770K tomorrow ;)

Well TurnandBurn has been using a Gigabyte Z77X/5 and he has had some decent results.. just wonderin if the sabertooth, Asus V Gene, MSI GD65 or Asus Pro would do any better?

Looks like the Max 5 Gene is supposed to be an excellent clocker for the money. I think I will be picking one up to swap with my MIVE.

i was under the impression it makes very little diffference nowadays with the new way of OCin through the multi Vs the old school way of whacking up the Blck freq? Thats where the mobos used to come into play.

As far as i was aware its 90% on what chip you get which determines your OC?

Im going to venture a guess that this will be like SB...any decent board will be fine unless you are going sub ambient. Bclk isnt needed as Im sure you know, and all o/c is done with the multi. So long as the board has a few power phases, it will handle whatever 24/7 overclock you can throw at it.

Exactly, the only thing I can tell so far is that memory support is better in the Z77 boards than at least P67

Exactly, the only thing I can tell so far is that memory support is better in the Z77 boards than at least P67
I was wondering how that would work out. I would also imagine there it would be in the CPU IMC, but judging from your results, it makes me question that. Could just be the ram though. :shrug:

I was wondering how that would work out. I would also imagine there it would be in the CPU IMC, but judging from your results, it makes me question that. Could just be the ram though. :shrug:

That confused me too since the IMC is on the CPU.

I may have to put the 2600k back into the MIVE to see if the memory clocks like it should/did in the past. no idea why it wouldn't be working properly other than the CPU switch (maybe a bad BIOS from Asus, but it's the only one I could find that supported IB)

Im going to venture a guess that this will be like SB...any decent board will be fine unless you are going sub ambient. Bclk isnt needed as Im sure you know, and all o/c is done with the multi. So long as the board has a few power phases, it will handle whatever 24/7 overclock you can throw at it.

i said that :p just with less authority, hehe. Yer seems about right.

Its hard to listen to some blue anime guy I guess :p..but yeah, reiterating what you said. ;)

That confused me too since the IMC is on the CPU.

I may have to put the 2600k back into the MIVE to see if the memory clocks like it should/did in the past. no idea why it wouldn't be working properly other than the CPU switch (maybe a bad BIOS from Asus, but it's the only one I could find that supported IB)
Newest is what I would use... I would imagine its not like subsequent bios' took away that compatibility.

Back