• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need User Input: Astro A50's or Steelseries H Wireless

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WheaT

Hello.

I am looking for some user input on these two headsets. If you have owned either I would like to know what you like about them and the problems you have with them, did you listen to music with them and how did it sound, etc. If a friend owned them and they had an opinion, that would be great too.

Some concerns I am looking to have put to rest, based on what I have read, are the Astros have problems with connecting (a problem I am having with my Logitech G930's), and both headsets are pretty terrible for music.

I am asking as these are both at the same price point and both have similar features I am looking at, with the steelseries edging out the Astros due to the swappable battery. I will be using them for gaming, obviously, and also listening to music from my mac while I am working, when I can't have my speakers on (8 month olds room is right next to my office).

Thanks for your input!

You can solve your G930 issue by getting away from 2.4GHz interference.
I moved the wireless router to the next room and voila, no more disconnects.

Past that I can't help.

If you don't mind another recommendation, take a look at the SkullCandy PLYR. Better sound quality for less than paying for the Astro name on the side. Just an FYI, Astro makes the PLYR under the SkullCandy name ;)

You can solve your G930 issue by getting away from 2.4GHz interference.
I moved the wireless router to the next room and voila, no more disconnects.

Past that I can't help.

Thats interesting. Thanks for the suggestion. Only issue I have is I don't have the ability to move my router to a different room due to jack availability and not having my home networked. (It is wirelessly, but I prefer wired connections for what I do)

On top of this, I would like to avoid having to manually switch the headphones from my PC to my mac when I want to listen to music while I work and back when I want to play a game. Both of the headsets I listed have a mixamp where I can avoid that, plus I will be buying a PS4 soon which I hope to use these with.

Thanks though! I thought it might just be poor hardware by logitech but probably not.

Other th

Yeah, I haven't had a disconnect for 6 months due to moving the router.

If you have the PC and Mac on the same desk you can get a USB switch.
The one linked is what I use to swap my KB/Mouse/G930/Controller between two different PCs.

Yeah, I haven't had a disconnect for 6 months due to moving the router.

If you have the PC and Mac on the same desk you can get a USB switch.
The one linked is what I use to swap my KB/Mouse/G930/Controller between two different PCs.

I actually have one of these. My PC seems to hate it when I remove the device and add it back. I get various connection problems and I have to reselect the headset as the default device. Are you experiencing these as well?

I actually have one of these. My PC seems to hate it when I remove the device and add it back. I get various connection problems and I have to reselect the headset as the default device. Are you experiencing these as well?

Windows 8.1 plays really nice with switching devices around, haven't had problems yet.

Some of the higher end Bluetooth headsets support pairing to multiple devices.

My headset suggestion is in my sig. :)

How do those do providing directional sound? I realize 7.1 is only on the software side, but I did notice a difference when I upgraded to my g930's and I would have to assume the directional sound is even better on the astros and steelseries.

The XPT100 has the most spacious / directional sound of any closed set I have ever owned. Also UBER comfortable and solid sound isolation.

If you use the angled pads (for better sound-stage), I suggest filling the earcup supports with hard-drying epoxy for reinforcement. They weren't designed to be used with such angled pads, and will eventually snap off unless filled with said epoxy.

Back