• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg declining

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deeppow

I've done business with Newegg for 10+ years. So based on my past experience, I gota say their service has declined.

Prices aren't any better than can be found in other places. Their manufacturer rebates are matched by other's pricing (and there is no 2 month wait for the refund). Shipping delivery has slipped at least a day.

While you might argue it is their supplier or shipper that is the problem, they are the one paying those folks and accepting the deals. And as big as they are, I don't accept the fact they have no leverage.

I would have to agree with you on this... Prices on most items are only slightly better than the big box stores and order processing/shipping is slower than it has ever been. I remember the days when I would place an order on my lunch break between classes and would have it the next day...now it takes two days to process the order

I love Newegg for shopping, just not buying lol. Their layout makes things easy to find, but I end up using Newegg strictly to find what I am looking for, then copy the part # to Amazon and buy it there. Amazon pricing is generally the same or better, charge me no tax, and I always have my items in 2 days or less (I am sold on the Prime program). Other than the occasional Shell Shocker deal or open box, I purchase elsewhere.

I remember many years ago when they were the place to buy. The prices were the best of just about any online store and the selection was great, now its just another store that gets almost retail. but they do have just about anything that you could want.

I use them and Amazon for reviews primarily...or detailed pictures of an item. I sure as hell do not go for big box stores.

I have to say that their site in a pain in the butt. I figured out that I could only use internet explorer (which I disdain) and even then it only works when it wants to. For instance I have been trying to buy something all morning, however every time I try to pull up my cart to check out the web page times out. Freaking ridiculous, I am pretty much at the point of going to another site because of this crap, but again I can't find what I want cheaper somewhere else. (trust me I have looked for the past 2 days!) Catch 22

Strange, I've never had an issue with their site. I've used all kinds of browsers (chrome, opera, firefox, ie). Maybe you need to clear your cache/temporary Internet files?

And I agree, I generally only buy from them with a big sale or open box.

I have tried everything with their site. I know it's crazy, but I have been through 3 different routers, used FF, Chrome, and IE. I dont know. It's strange to say the least

This isn't the first of these threads but I've (thankfully) not seen any of these issues. Sure, prices are higher for somethings, but I always shopped around anyway. They're still cheaper than most for many items. On occasion, order processing does seem to take a little longer than it did back in the day, but not enough to even justify a complaint email. Most of my stuff ships the day after I order. Day-of-order shipping is definitely more rare now.

I've never had any problems with their web site using Chrome or Firefox.

I still get everything in one day unless it ships from a different warehouse which isn't often. Still, if I'm not in a big hurry I can usually save 10 or 20 bucks at amazon on a video card or whatever. If something is on sale then newegg all day long.

The only thing I hate about newegg is UPS. Seems like it takes forever and on the delivery date it is so inconsistent. Sometimes I'll get the packages at 12AM, other times I'll get it past 6. So far my recent orders with fedex arrived at before 10AM.

Their open box prices are freaking crazy though, I recently bought a 27.5" monitor for $123 :)

I've still always had great results from NewEgg. I don't have any complaints. Maybe I'm just not shopping around enough...

I would have to agree with you on this... Prices on most items are only slightly better than the big box stores and order processing/shipping is slower than it has ever been.

I noticed the price thing as well, but shipping/processing still seems quick for me. Packing quality is, well, I can't say how I truly feel here without the mods getting pissed. A few things tossed into a box with some balled up pieces of paper is not a way to ship fragile components. Still think their customer service is top notch though.

I've done business with them for so many years and have never had issues. They don't have the lowest prices on everything anymore, but I can live with that since their customer service has always been so great for me. I've never had to pay a restocking fee or had issues with RMA's or anything.

My only complaint is when they did away with the free fedex 3 day shipping. It actually took 3 days to get something and it wasn't beat up when it got to me. I don't even know why ups bothers to give a specific day count. 3 days may take 4, 5, 8 who knows. They may deliver to the wrong address and somehow it is Newegg's responsibility to find my package. Stupid UPS...:bang head

I remember a thread that was made just like this 5 years ago... so strange.

Open box products can still be good at least.

I recently had an interesting run in with them. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6930675&postcount=843

They handled the RMA fine, as expected, but the original problem is what confuses me. I'll sum it up quickly.

1) Old product worked for me in the past, had it bookmarked for future reference.
2) I wanted to order new cases, and this part was included at 50% off! Ordered part.
3) Got the part to realize that it is a completely different product.
4) New part is completely unusable and has to be sent back.

Here is the kicker. When they changed the part out to something completely different, they only changed the picture. The description and title were for the old product and completely wrong. I did a search on the actual part and it was under a different manufacturer (subsidiary of the main company). I went to the parent company's website and could find no trace of this mysterious swapped part. They refused to send the proper one (since the model number and description matched the correct part), but allowed me to send back the wrong one. Thanks guys.

I know I should have looked it over, but when the title, description and price match what it was in the past, you expect it to be the same part. I don't know if this was intentional or a mistake. It just seems odd.

Will I still buy there? Yes, I have already ordered parts since then. But, I'm going to be much more cautious and probably start looking elsewhere.

Maybe they are just struggling to keep up capacity in your area? Ever since the NJ warehouse opened 3 day shipping has been next day, and orders placed before 1-2pm est ship same day for me. Between my orders and my companies I have never seen anything worse than that (sans massive storms), and I place a few hundred orders a year.

Maybe they are just struggling to keep up capacity in your area? Ever since the NJ warehouse opened 3 day shipping has been next day, and orders placed before 1-2pm est ship same day for me. Between my orders and my companies I have never seen anything worse than that (sans massive storms), and I place a few hundred orders a year.

I don't know what it is but I live about an hour maybe an hour and a half from their NJ facility and it takes an absolute minimum of 4 days from order to receive my package with the average about 6 business days....

I too remember, and miss, the days of free 3 day FedEx... but I hear FedEx and UPS are merging, they are going to call it FedUp. yea, bad joke...:escape:

I must say that I do miss the FedEx 3 day shipping. UPS is kinda meh to me (I don't really like their tracking as it can be slow to update information) and especially the DHL slower than the pony express, will deliver whenever they are good and ready shipping method is just annoying. I've looked at great deals on Newegg before and when I've seen that it uses the Eggsaver, I've passed on the deal just because it's annoying to wait a week or more for something.

*edit: While I agree that you can't control what happens in the shipping process, I most definitely agree 100% with the comment on you can emulate control by changing your primary shipping company and the deals they make in purchase agreements.

Last edited:
i wish there was a USPS option, would help out in a ew ways, cheaper than UPS and they wont wait till quoted day to deliver an item they will deliver it early if its gets there

Back